JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
An interesting quote from the November 6, 2018 Woodpile report Woodpile Report is below.

I went through a four-month period of hunger in 1988. Minimal money, one small meal a day. I've never forgotten it, and to this day I still have a propensity to not leave food on the plate.

Sometimes I despair of the nonsense otherwise sane people can believe until I remember, they'll be my competitors when the SHTF. And no, survivalists are not a brotherly band, nor can they be. Relying on survivors I have known, of slave labor camps for one, survivalists are not selfless patrons looking to pitch in for the common good. The root word "survive" is the tip off. Preppers believe themselves to be goal oriented cooperatives, and they will be until the way ahead narrows and darkens and hard choices become no choices at all. Then they become survivalists.

Mere hard times come to an end, and survivalism begins, when the word "hungry" reclaims its original meaning. Hunger is an experience that never leaves you, and in that sense it's a gift. It's the survivalist's all-purpose knife for any Gordian Knot. It's the supreme teacher, and it appears when the student is least ready. Hunger doesn't value your preferences, nor does it arrive dressed in gingham with recipes to make shrimp creole more tastey. But be assured, you'll recognize it when you see it.

Most of the people that laugh at people who prep.
Have NEVER been hungry.
Or went without food or water.
I my self HAVE never really been hungry.
All though we ate cheap food from time to time .we where never really hungry.
Water is important also you can go for days with out food but only a day or two with out water.
Before it really starts to affect you.

Can you imagine these clowns trying to kill a deer or duck or anything to eat.
Lol they can't go with out there phone for five minutes.
Just wait till there is no electricity.and food and Uber or lime bikes .
OR THERE MOMMY AND DADDY TO TAKE CARE OF THEM. istockphoto-845915006-1024x1024.jpg

Did'na click.
However, survivalist does not mean letting go of humanity, though ultimately as societal conditions spiral downward, it does. I believe, those who cannot make that choice when it is no longer a choice will not survive.

That said, I think many of the people whom we currently think as soft and expendable will surprise us with their tenacity.

Many people I know just assume I'm going to feed them. The problem is, I only have enough for myself for so long. Adding just 1 person halves my supply, forget adding 5 or 6. I often imagine how hard it would be to tell people "no" when I know I "could" help

I was having a discussion with an acquaintance a while back and prepping came up. I asked him if he has been working on emergency supplies for his family. He said, "no, I will just come over to your house when SHTF". I told him with a dead expression that he will be greeted by the barrel of a gun and that it's not my responsibility to take care of his family. That was last year. He still hasn't lifted a finger yet to even get some water jugs. I hope he likes road kill.

It is an important topic and having a well stocked larder, freezer, vehicles, etc., is good starting point. Being able to generate your own is another step. I'll admit, I actually like most preparing. Sure there are plenty dull aspects to the said, but preparing, planning, building, growing things, training, learning new skills, target practice, etc., is a good thing now, and may mean all the difference someday. If I had any doubts, and I don't, sometimes when one of my children says "Dah-Do, I'm hungry, can I have something to eat?", I'm reminded to keep rolling. (I have no idea why my kids call me Dah-Do, rather than Da-Da or Papa. Some things in life are just a mystery.)

Regarding helping others, it really depends on the what type of "SHTF" we're talking about. A short term, localized one (e.g., wildfires, a really bad winter storm, someone experiencing a personal emergency, etc.), I am going to render aid as best I can. If we are talking about full on TEOTWAWKI (e.g., a Cascadia event, meteor impact, nuclear exchange, etc.), sorry, my family comes first. And I would question the sanity of any man that would state otherwise.

It is an important topic and having a well stocked larder, freezer, vehicles, etc., is good starting point. Being able to generate your own is another step. I'll admit, I actually like most preparing. Sure there are plenty dull aspects to the said, but preparing, planning, building, growing things, training, learning new skills, target practice, etc., is a good thing now, and may mean all the difference someday. If I had any doubts, and I don't, sometimes when one of my children says "Dah-Do, I'm hungry, can I have something to eat?", I'm reminded to keep rolling. (I have no idea why my kids call me Dah-Do, rather than Da-Da or Papa. Some things in life are just a mystery.)

Regarding helping others, it really depends on the what type of "SHTF" we're talking about. A short term, localized one (e.g., wildfires, a really bad winter storm, someone experiencing a personal emergency, etc.), I am going to render aid as best I can. If we are talking about full on TEOTWAWKI (e.g., a Cascadia event, meteor impact, nuclear exchange, etc.), sorry, my family comes first. And I would question the sanity of any man that would state otherwise.

Regarding the power, Rigid offers a USB adapter that will slide onto any of their 18v batteries. About 20 bucks at Home Despot. Not sure if the other cordless tool makers have that yet but if they don't it shouldn't be long. There's a lot of solid untapped power in those cordless power tool batteries. Makes sense to be able to make them more practical.

I'll admit to never being hungry. I mean, I'm an American. Even the bums can toss food into the trash with impunity here. Once, working construction for a failing firm, I missed 5 paychecks. They couldn't afford to pay anything - but the promises that I'd get paid kept me going. The rent wasn't paid and there was no money for food. At one point I went a few days digging through the garbage can (this was pre-recyling) pulling out whatever I could get, mostly potato peels, and I ate trash for a couple of days. I was much lighter in then.

I prep. Not above eating out of garbage cans, but trying to avoid it.

I don't have enough... Need more space.

Though many have expressed their intent to be here and i'm like.. "nope, you best stay away because nothing is coming around here that doesn't have a desire to be poisoned with lead and copper'

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top