JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday, 3 judges dismantled the open Internet by deciding that big companies should be able to determine what we see online.

They struck down “Net Neutrality” – the principle that no corporation or state authority can censor, slow down, block, or privilege certain content on the web. It's the basis for what has made the Internet a place for creativity, free speech, and innovation.

Without Net Neutrality, the very startups that make the Internet a force of innovation will be throttled – unable to compete with incumbent businesses that can pay to provide their access faster than any startup could.

Tell the FCC – protect the Internet and restore Net Neutrality rules.

As of yesterday’s ruling, no one can protect Internet users from ISPs that block or discriminate against websites, applications or services. Companies like Verizon will now be able to block or slow down any website, application or service they like.

Carriers can now charge content providers to make sure their content works well – something that privileges companies already dominating the market at the expense of the startups that have made the Internet great. Facebook or Google might be able to afford preferential treatment – but what about the startup that otherwise could replace them?

It’s incredibly insidious, and it threatens to take away the level playing field that’s made the Internet such an incredible boon for society.

The FCC, however, has the power to protect Net Neutrality – if they classify broadband as a communications service, something we all know it is with all the time we spend communicating with friends and loved ones via e-mail and social media, they’ll have the power to reinstate Net Neutrality rules.

Tell the FCC to reclassify broadband as a communications service and protect the open Internet.

We’ve fought to save Net Neutrality before, and we’re going to save it this time, too. Together we will protect the Internet.

Thanks for all you do,
Charlie Furman

P.S. This is going to be one of our hardest fights yet because some of the very same allies we’ve had in the past are now some of the biggest incumbents in the market – that means your support is that much more important. Donate to Demand Progress now and help us protect Net Neutrality.

Pretty interesting that all the liberals in this country are going full-tilt ape over this ( 1st Amendment) and are calling Constitutional foul, but fail to see the necessity of the 2A......

Can't pick it choose people, Know 2A, no other rights either.....

Well... I cut the cable tv line two months ago. Not just because it's a lot of money, but I wasn't accomplishing enough in life.
Now internet. I can easily just do the nessesary needs for work. 99% email, 1% internet searching.
Btw this isn't a liberal conservative thing.
The repub are just as guilty!

Anything to help push the economy deeper into recession!! Morons!! Guess I don't need that new Iphone, G4 service, High Speed internet connection, 4 Terabyte hard drive, 32" monitor........

Ya think they'll get it!!

The effed up government just can't stand not having control of everything. That is the definition of tyranny and the beginning of oppression. Its past time the people crammed both those up their arses.

This isn't good news but i'm not too worried about it atm.

I think competition, newer alternative tech, encrypted/re-routed connections or just plain consumer reaction could level this out.

IMO when companies attempt to wall off media (themselves) people either find a way around it or stop caring all together. It's their loss.

I could be completely wrong though, this is our government, rampant sold out corruption so who knows. Just trying to be optimistic.

This opens the door for an entirely new generation of John D. Rockefellers.

Let's see, off the top of my head, how many startup companies would have been destroyed by the competition.

Startup ------------------ Killed By
Google ------------------ Dogpile? Altavista?
Gunbroker ------------------ Ebay
NetFlix ------------------ YouTube
Facebook ------------------ Myspace
NWFirearms ------------------ Comcast/Centurylink (Depending on their beliefs)

You will NEVER see another social media site open up (Not that many of you care) but Facebook is a rather corrupt bunch, and it would be refreshing to have a place online to keep up on the families without facebook.

Gun sites could find themselves just shutdown. Imagine it taking 5 minutes to load a single forum post. That's a very real possibility. Time to start figuring out how to edit your browsers timeout setting due to throttling.

Comcast/Centurylink could decide to not allow "violent" or "Pro Gun" movies to be streamed over their lines. (It's quite easy to do now.)

AT&T/Verizon/Sprint could decide to start charging an additional fee for using Apple's iMessage that exceeds the old charges for SMS texting.

Carriers around the world could decide to follow the IRS in persecuting and beating down Patriot and Tea Party and Liberty groups and sites. They could legally decide to charge a "Dangerous Thoughts" fee, or "I don't like you" surcharge or just disallow you from running a site over their pipeline altogether.

Here's a super duper worst case scenario!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine a world where people like Mayor Bloomburg or Ted Turner or Bill Gates or the Bilderberg group or Monsanto decides to buy Verizon and AT&T and Sprint and T-Mobile and Comcast and CenturyLink and your local phone carrier and cable company.

Now imagine they decide that only thoughts and words and images and messages that follow THEIR agenda are allowed over their pipeline. Imagine only THEIR view on events was allowed to be published.

Luckily we have great checks and balances to prevent companies and big banks to ever overstep their bounds...

That's just crazy talk... next thing you know I'll be suggesting that these people would buy the mainstream media outlets and force the news to publish their views and agendas as if it were the truth.

Yep, nothing to worry about here... move along.

Let's take a quick peek at NWFA and how many "Middlemen" there are.

Keep in mind, if ANY of these companies finds a disliking for Firearms, the Northwest, or Guns or maybe just Joe Link, they can choose to NOT forward the packets and traffic through them dies.

C:\>tracert www.northwestfirearms.com

Tracing route to northwestfirearms.com [69.167.176.141]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms 6 ms <1 ms <My Internal Network>
2 32 ms 30 ms 30 ms centurytel.net [207.118.67.1]
3 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms centurylink.net [173.248.76.169]
4 * * * Request timed out. <- Centurylink appears to have a dead node, but they have redundant paths so it goes through, it's just delayed while it times out.
5 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms qwest.net [67.14.41.70] <- Centurytel, Centurylink and Qwest are the same.
6 32 ms 32 ms 31 ms 67.135.42.154 <- This is likely a nameless router.
7 32 ms 35 ms 35 ms ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.73] <- (I left the node name in because I'm a child and giggled...)
8 60 ms 63 ms 63 ms denver.co.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.86.213]
9 83 ms 83 ms 83 ms il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.85.249]
10 83 ms 83 ms 84 ms il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.102]
11 85 ms 83 ms 82 ms 66.208.216.86 <- Nuther router...
12 89 ms 89 ms 89 ms liquidweb.com [209.59.157.226]
13 89 ms 88 ms 88 ms liquidweb.com [69.167.128.135]
14 89 ms 89 ms 89 ms 69.167.176.141 <- www.northwestfirearms.com

Trace complete.

So in order to stay alive now Northwest Firearms, you need to ensure that Centurylink, Comcast and Liquidweb have ethics and agree to allow this traffic to occur.

Looks like the same number (But a few different players) of providers between me and NRA.ORG...

Let's take a quick peek at NWFA and how many "Middlemen" there are.

Keep in mind, if ANY of these companies finds a disliking for Firearms, the Northwest, or Guns or maybe just Joe Link, they can choose to NOT forward the packets and traffic through them dies.

C:\>tracert www.northwestfirearms.com

Tracing route to northwestfirearms.com [69.167.176.141]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms 6 ms <1 ms <My Internal Network>
2 32 ms 30 ms 30 ms centurytel.net [207.118.67.1]
3 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms centurylink.net [173.248.76.169]
4 * * * Request timed out. <- Centurylink appears to have a dead node, but they have redundant paths so it goes through, it's just delayed while it times out.
5 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms qwest.net [67.14.41.70] <- Centurytel, Centurylink and Qwest are the same.
6 32 ms 32 ms 31 ms 67.135.42.154 <- This is likely a nameless router.
7 32 ms 35 ms 35 ms ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.73] <- (I left the node name in because I'm a child and giggled...)
8 60 ms 63 ms 63 ms denver.co.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.86.213]
9 83 ms 83 ms 83 ms il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.85.249]
10 83 ms 83 ms 84 ms il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.102]
11 85 ms 83 ms 82 ms 66.208.216.86 <- Nuther router...
12 89 ms 89 ms 89 ms liquidweb.com [209.59.157.226]
13 89 ms 88 ms 88 ms liquidweb.com [69.167.128.135]
14 89 ms 89 ms 89 ms 69.167.176.141 <- www.northwestfirearms.com

Trace complete.

So in order to stay alive now Northwest Firearms, you need to ensure that Centurylink, Comcast and Liquidweb have ethics and agree to allow this traffic to occur.

Looks like the same number (But a few different players) of providers between me and NRA.ORG...

Ethics? Comcast and Centurylink? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I think this whole thing has a lot more to do with tightening the grip on the internet in the name of 'global security" a la' Edward Snowden than it does with anything else.....

makes me wonder what else Wikileaks or another cyber-avenger has up their sleeve?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top