JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You guys unfortunately have it wrong.
Right now companies such as Netflix and YouTube and their heavy users are getting a heavily subsidized ride. They are extreme bandwidth hogs and build a business model based on someone else paying for part of their delivery system.
If you are someone who just reads a few pages, checks email and does some web surfing then you are the one who is subsidizing your Netflix junkie neighbor.

You guys unfortunately have it wrong.
Right now companies such as Netflix and YouTube and their heavy users are getting a heavily subsidized ride. They are extreme bandwidth hogs and build a business model based on someone else paying for part of their delivery system.
If you are someone who just reads a few pages, checks email and does some web surfing then you are the one who is subsidizing your Netflix junkie neighbor.

I hate to sound rude Grunwald, but you've got to be kidding me.

You have to read beyond any INTENT a law might have and see the EFFECT the law WILL have.

Before I start with that, let me state that I have been a professional in the computer industry since 1991, and have been using computers since 1978. In the year 1997 it was determined that "By 2005 all phone calls and communication will happen via video chat while we ride around in our hovercars."

To that end, there were 3 MASSIVE (Dwarfing the Alaskan pipeline) Fiber and copper trunks run the entire width and breadth of our nation. Enough to support 300 million people video chatting...

We STILL aren't (Collectively) video chatting, and it never really became popular because we don't want to have to put on pants to answer the phone.

Regardless, the argument that "They're gobbling up ALL the bandwidth with their movie streaming!" is absolutely baseless. There is no truth to it whatsoever. Any throttling is happening because there is money in setting up "Tiers". It's artificial, the same as SMS text messaging costing $0.25 per message is a 10,000% markup over the cost of the service. It costs the carrier 1/1000 of a penny to transmit that message. <broken link removed>

I'm out in the boonies with 1.5 meg DSL. I pay the same now as I did back when I was in town on Comcast's 20 meg high speed internet, yet the advertised speed is almost 1/20th of the speed.

Do you think they will lower my bill to 1/10th of what the 20 meg users have now that this law is out? That's what your message suggests.

A law like this will be used for all the evil it CAN be used for. That's why laws are so hard to pass, because there are devil's advocates that write in provisos that prevent abuse.

There are no provisos to prevent abuse, and abuse will happen.

Last Edited:
TPTB would have crushed the 'free' internet long ago, but with Google and Facebook compiling databases on everyone they just can't let that go.

A couple of years ago on here I posted about future brain implants and tying people directly to the grid in a Borg-like world and that drew a few laughs.

Just in the last fews months scientists are predicting just that in the next 8-12 years (only).

http://endoftheamericandream.com/ar...cting-people-to-the-internet-by-the-year-2020

Most people are already in the non-independent thought hive anyway. That will just make it most efficient for control of the individual.

Being tied in will be voluntary. Increased cognitive ability by leaps and bounds. Basically a new species will be forthcoming; with malevolent purpose.

Those who chose not to join in will be considered pathetic; on the level of the family pet. The gullible thought all of this came down to a stamp on a forehead lol.

Today's internet is like a 256k connection compared to just five years from now.

? 44 HD films a second: Team in UK manages fastest ever ?real world? internet speeds ? RT News

Wyden is the biggest proponent of Net Neutrality, and for that I am glad to have him in congress. It's too bad he isn't a gun rights advocate too. I should write to him again...
Yup, just like he was all for us that bought satellite dishes...oh we no longer exist, thanks to Wyden. Now we pay Dish or Direct.
To tell if Wyden is lying, look to his mouth and see if it moving.

Do you mean the digital switch? I got a digital converter box with a $30 rebate from the Federal Government so it cost me like $15. It allowed my bunny ears to keep working. I actually got more channels after then before the switch.

Not that you want my opinion....

I am in the "internet industry" and I believe if it really "Really" came down to some of the items mentioned here such as throttling, timeouts, missing page, etc. etc. to disrupt sites or keep people from accessing certain information. Meaning the "China Effect / Control".

Then...

Another internet (and infrastructure) will crop up. And those folks that create this will make a TON of money.

That alone is a checks and balance.

Just how I see it...

Not that you want my opinion....

I am in the "internet industry" and I believe if it really "Really" came down to some of the items mentioned here such as throttling, timeouts, missing page, etc. etc. to disrupt sites or keep people from accessing certain information. Meaning the "China Effect / Control".

Then...

Another internet (and infrastructure) will crop up. And those folks that create this will make a TON of money.

That alone is a checks and balance.

Just how I see it...

The existing infrastructure (Sad as it is) was heavily subsidized by the federal government using our tax dollars. That kind of investment for an "alternative internet" won't happen.

They could try a cloud based solution, but not even the current wireless companies can agree to unchain their legislators to allow a metropolitan wifi cloud because they each want exclusive domain over it.

You are right in principle though.

If there was some way, we should all pick up our ball and go home.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top