JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wait...

<broken link removed>

A KING 5 investigation of records filed with the State Treasurer’s Office showed that police departments in Hoquiam, Fife and Auburn sold seized firearms in the six-month period that ended in March 2012. Sheriff’s Departments in Whatcom, Thurston, Kitsap and Pierce counties also sold seized firearms in the same period.

The Washington State Patrol (WSP) also sells hundreds of guns.

An invoice from May 10, 2012, shows that a law enforcement supply company -- G.W., Inc. -- gave WSP $42,200 in credit for 211 “confiscated guns.” WSP can use the credit to buy new equipment, guns and ammo.

I think his point is they paid to collect from the public but are selling to that same public...nothing like talking out of both sides of your face with opposite messages.

Exactly what should be done with them. The problem is?

I agree, why not help support law enforcement agencies by the sale of confiscated firearms?

I think it's a good idea to sell them as well but it certainly smacks of hypocrisy when you claim that you're trying to get guns off the streets then turning around and selling them to gun dealers. It's not like these are weapons that were involved in crimes or possessed by criminals. Basically it's just law enforcement acting as gun brokers.

How did they "pay to collect them"? They are not collecting from the public.

Last time I checked enforcing laws was their job. This ends up in seized property from accused persons. If and when they are found guilty that property becomes forfeit. Now why as a tax payer should I have to pay more money for them to "throw away" perfectly good items?

The guns were taken out of the hands of criminals and being sold. What is the problem with that? What "street" were the guns on? So any car seized in drunk driving or drug transporting should also not be sold back to the LEGAL public?

How did they "pay to collect them"? They are not collecting from the public.

Last time I checked enforcing laws was their job. This ends up in seized property from accused persons. If and when they are found guilty that property becomes forfeit. Now why as a tax payer should I have to pay more money for them to "throw away" perfectly good items?

The guns were taken out of the hands of criminals and being sold. What is the problem with that? What "street" were the guns on? So any car seized in drunk driving or drug transporting should also not be sold back to the LEGAL public?

You're right. Some of the guns are confiscated but some are the ones turned in by the public in gun buybacks. Those were the focus of my comments.

I think it is better than giving out tickets or raising taxes.

Though I would love to see all seized guns donated to qualified veterans or legitimate state militia that fit the constitutional model.
(In a Perfect World.)

I don't have an issue with the buyback program and flipping those guns either ... once processed those guns are put back into the registration system of registered gun owners.
I prefer there is no registration but having more registered guns in law abiding citizens hands is the next best thing.

Wait...

<broken link removed>

Nwcid - have you been living under a rock? Were you not aware of the Seattle firarms buy-back January 26th?

No, I prefer to live in the real world where reading comprehension and geography work.

What does the Seattle "buy-back" this month have ANYTHING to do with "the six-month period that ended in March 2012"?

I get yelled at every time I say anything west of the Cascades is "Seattle" but I do KNOW that the cities of "Hoquiam, Fife and Auburn" and the counties of "Sheriff's Departments in Whatcom, Thurston, Kitsap and Pierce" are NOT Seattle..........

Nwcid - have you been living under a rock? Were you not aware of the Seattle firarms buy-back January 26th?

Please reread the story. The Seattle buy back guns were not involved in the story about the police from OTHER jurisdictions selling to a dealer who then sells them to the public.

I like how the one example of how bad it is to do this cause the guns could end up being involved with crime was about a COP who was doing somthing illegal.

Ok. soooooo...

LE tells the civilians in their community that illegal and stolen firearms can be turned in to them because those firearms needs to be removed from the streets and away from bad guys. The LE destroys those guns, maybe all of them.

LE has other illegal and stolen firearms that were taken from the bad guys and then sells them to firearms shops.

No problem?

<broken link removed>

"Federal court records from one local case show crime guns that were once in police custody ended up at eight separate crime scenes, including a robbery and two assaults.

Those guns were purchased by former Bremerton police detective Roy Alloway. Federal prosecutors say he purchased cheap handguns, those often favored by criminals, from a licensed firearms dealer that was buying the guns from police agencies.

Alloway admitting to turning around and selling the guns for big profits at local guns shows. He sold more than 700 guns, raking in $150,000, without the required firearms license. He didn't conduct background checks on the people to whom he sold the guns.

Alloway is now in a federal prison in Colorado serving a sentence for the illegal sale of firearms."

But LE needs the money sooooooo its OK?

<broken link removed>

"On July 18, 2009, the then-still-working Bremerton cop illegally sold a Springfield Armory .45 caliber handgun and a Walther model P22 .22 caliber handgun to such an undercover agent.

During the investigation agents also learned that Alloway had, on at least one occasion, purposefully lied on his tax returns in an effort to hide the illegal business."

"I guess I have to wonder why, after 20 years of getting away with illegally selling guns, and with 400 counts against him, they let him plead to only one count."

Just more double standards...like that firearms sell pack program.

More crap from the LE... and people wonder why I do not trust LE as a whole.

<broken link removed>

"According to a document from the grievance Alloway subsequently filed (see pdf), the longtime cop "arranged to trade weapons seized by the Bremerton Police Department with a local gun dealer in exchange for weapons needed" by the department. He did so after receiving a memo from the city attorney indicating that such dealings were improper; the department was required by law to sell seized guns at an auction.

Alloway was not the only one who received that memo. So too did three of his superiors, including the chief, according to the arbitrator who heard Alloway's grievance and subsequently ordered his discipline reversed. The department's brass nonetheless signed off on Alloway's gun-trading plan. Only after the state Auditor flagged the trades as a problem did the chief come down on Alloway.

That doesn't necessarily absolve Alloway. It merely indicates others were at fault too."

Comment:

Jade
May 4, 2011

"It is frightening when the people who are paid to enforce the laws do not abide by them. Quite frightening."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top