JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I used to go up to Wildcat but pretty much everything up there seems to be shut down and shooting no longer allowed because of the "pigs".

So, I am looking for places to shoot outdoors.... Please share your thoughts and directions would be great. Pics too if ya happen to have any:s0155:

Thanks guys!

Won't do any good to move to the country. I did on 12 acres. Then all the city folk moved around and go nuts anytime they hear a gunshot.
Think how many gun ranges have been shut down or sued because of that.
The only places now are far away in Eastern Oregon. Even Central Oregon has been over-taken with rich out-of-staters buying property over there.
I reckon in less than a decade there will be no more free places to shoot.

It's the californicus liberalis that are "infecting" both our states. Why they would leave there homeland and then go out of their way to make "here" more like "there" makes me want to just :s0054:

It's the californicus liberalis that are "infecting" both our states. Why they would leave there homeland and then go out of their way to make "here" more like "there" makes me want to just :s0054:

:s0154: to Cali peeps...

Has anyone been up to Wildcat lately and do you know if they still have the shooting areas up there shut down?

Thanks again guys!

Just started a Wildcat Cndition thread. But to answer your question about good places to shoot out this way......

Man there are hundreds!! Most anywhere up the Clackamas River past Silver Fox, Horseshoe across from Silver Fox, Memaloose, Squaw Mt., Weber Rd., Larch Mt., I could go on forever! Pretty much just go into the mountains and pick a gravel pit, unfortunately you'll find where people shoot, from the garbage they leave. But pick a place....And clean up after yourself!

Just started a Wildcat Cndition thread. But to answer your question about good places to shoot out this way......

Man there are hundreds!! Most anywhere up the Clackamas River past Silver Fox, Horseshoe across from Silver Fox, Memaloose, Squaw Mt., Weber Rd., Larch Mt., I could go on forever! Pretty much just go into the mountains and pick a gravel pit, unfortunately you'll find where people shoot, from the garbage they leave. But pick a place....And clean up after yourself!

I have been up to Larch before and I heard that place was shut down but I don't know that to be true because I have not been up there in a long time. Thanks for the heads up on the others!

( now I am off to go find your wildcat thread ) :s0155:

Yeah, they closed down Larch Mt due to rubbish dumping. It was a real bummer. But I heard from someone that they had re-opened it. I havent been there yet to confirm or deny it, though. Yeah, I had a mis-spent youth getting drunk and 4 wheeling in ALL the wild places in this whole area, + Eastern Oregon. So if you need any more info on good shooting locations just let me know, chances are Ive been there..

Thanks, Treemanx! I just may be getting a hold of you for some good spots. I am going to go check out Larch and wildcat again here within a couple of weeks and I will provide feedback on those.

I went up to Larch last year, and if you're talking about the gravel area just before the parking lot...don't do it. Couple sheriffs made me aware of the fact that shooting isn't allowed anymore. Didn't get busted, but I got a nice, tasty fine for my trouble.

Now...if there's a different area than that...SHARE! I'm actually leaving tomorrow to drive all the damned way out to Bend to get a decent 300m shot.

Good old Larch Mt. Rd.. It's been closed for years. It was one of the most convenient places to go for the East side of Portland. There were a couple good sites there, the clearing just off the snow gate (called the "gallery") the quarry area further down the road and even a pretty decent place to shoot skeet down Palmer Mill Road.

I used to go there until it got dangerous because of the drive, drink, and shoot types that started coming up. The trash got pretty out of hand finally and the news media went up there and had a field day. I can still remember the reporter's spin..."just look at what shooters do to the outdoors, trash, vandalism, destroyed trees, etc,etc".

Besides the new homes going in near the area with nervous neighbors, the thing that finally shut the whole place down was the killing a few years back at the "Gallery". Talk about the ultimate shooting area nightmare; One guy goes up and apparently "homesteads" with the attitude that this was his shooting spot and any one else could just wait till he was through. Then two teenagers show up, one with dad's AR-15. Chest thumping on both sides ensue, the first guy reportedly makes a threatening move, an empty AR mag later and the place is closed off as a crime scene. To my recollection that was pretty much it for Larch Mountain.

Talk about a case study of how you lose a shooting area, Larch Mt. is it.

I vaugely remember now hearing about the shooting that happened up Larch. It is really unfortunate that they closed that down. My step-dad used to ride dirt bikes up there when he was younger with his buddies. He has a pretty crazy story about a bigfoot sighting up there. He is not the kind to exaggerate, either. Hes like Clint Eastwood and John Wayne rolled into one.

But man, guys, I dont know if its just that I grew up in the foothills of Mt Hood, or what, but I know of HUNDREDS of places to shoot legally around here. Ive been shooting out here all my life, since about 4 yrs old. Alot of them are kinda special to me, so I wouldnt want to list them here on this website. But there are still a ton of places to go around here that ALOT of people know about.

Some people used to call me Ranger Rick when I was in school, so maybe I just spend an inordinate amount of time around those types of places!

Treemanx......It might be a matter of perception rather than reality, that all the good shooting spots are going away. But wouldn't you agree that those spots that are left are becoming more and more valuable ?

It does seem like you have to drive just a little farther out each year, just to get away from development and the spots that are already loaded with the type of people that you really dont care to be shooting around. To me, it really spoils the enjoyment when you have to be looking over your shoulder all the time, especially these days when the cost of gas and ammo make it a real investment just to get out there.

Buy the way treemanx...are you the "Ranger Rick" that used to live in SE Portland ?

ob1- Yeah, its a bummer that if you go shooting at the wrong time of the week that you'll find more people at your favorite spots. But usually, there is always an open spot somewhere in the area, with a good backdrop and plenty of room. I agree with you that they are becoming more and more valuable. Theres alot of people that are trying to join ranges, to avoid the hassel of going up the mountain, finding your favorite spot is taken, having to wait out the winter months for acess.

I have a buddy on here that just got into a local range, and Ive been fortunate enough lately to be invited to shoot with him there. In fact, we're going this thrusday to sight in my hunting rifle and shoot a S&W 1917 .45acp I am buying for my brother. Ranges definately have their advantages.

No, Ive never lived in SE, but Ive known some guys from out that way. I went to school out by Mt Hood, in Sandy.

I know this thread is a few years old but.... I was doing a search today of ranges on the eastside and didn't find anything in this area. I was driving down Powell heading towards Gresham today and heard gun shots from some kind of range (in the area of 174th Powell). I was curious if anyone knows what it is, is there a range or gun club someplace in that vacinty that I can't seem to find on the web?

Doing a google maps search and using the satellite view you can clearly see what is a trap range just off powell right in the vicinity you specified. Not sure the name of it though, haven't been there. Appears to be just off SE 174th

It's called the Portland Gun Club. I can hear it in Fairview when the wind comes out of the SW.
I have a friend with a couple of hundred acres East of Sandy that let's me shoot anytime I want. All he asks is that I pick up my brass and have a cold one with him afterwards. I didn't realize how lucky I am having a private place to shoot until I started reading these posts.

It's called the Portland Gun Club. I can hear it in Fairview when the wind comes out of the SW.
I have a friend with a couple of hundred acres East of Sandy that let's me shoot anytime I want. All he asks is that I pick up my brass and have a cold one with him afterwards. I didn't realize how lucky I am having a private place to shoot until I started reading these posts.

huh, yeah that it, I looked it up after you mentioned the name. Looks like shotgun only though.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top