JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The thread about crazy ammo prices had me counting bullets today and wondering how long this going to be an issue. Anyway, I decided I didn't have sufficient stock of 9mm and during my search came across these at MidwayUSA: Factory Second Bullets 9mm (355 Diameter) 105 Grain Expanding Full

I'm pretty sure they are the same bullets as in the Gaurd Dog ammo -- they're unique being an expanding full metal jacket bullet. Anyway, they did well in Paul's meat test and at $91/1000, plus actually being available to buy now, I went for it. I also ordered a lead pot and some molds though, in case the drought lasts for a long time. Was never really interested in bullet molding, but here I am. Anyway, Paul's video:

What is funny and at the same time sad . .. is there will be people buying these, that think they are buying 9mm ammo ready to shoot, at a great price! Because many newbies do not know the difference (sadly), between bullets and ammo. I saw this first hand at a Cabela's store back in February of this year; and that was before the panic first time buyers came out of the woodwork. On the other hand, I've used the actual Guard Dog ammo in 9, 40 and 45, and it ran just fine in every firearm I tried it in; including my Micro 9.

I'm going to an estate sale tomorrow morning in Portland and the guy who passed on to the great shooting range in the sky left behind a whole bunch of reloading components.
I'm not versed in how much the stuff costs, but there's a lot of it. Should be interesting on what they want for it.

1597337121250.png
1597337166049.png

1597337235189.png

1597337370842.png

I'm going to an estate sale tomorrow morning in Portland and the guy who passed on to the great shooting range in the sky left behind a whole bunch of reloading components. I'm not versed in how much the stuff costs, but there's a lot of it. Should be interesting on what they want for it.

Yes it should be interesting, there is likely a fortune in there; what with the current prices for ammo! $30 plus for a box of 9mm FMJ is common; 6 months ago it was around $8-10 for the cheap stuff . . . I have self defense rounds I paid $26 for 50 rounds, now it's $30 for 25 rounds of the same item! Hope you find some great buys!

I'm going to an estate sale tomorrow morning in Portland and the guy who passed on to the great shooting range in the sky left behind a whole bunch of reloading components.
I'm not versed in how much the stuff costs, but there's a lot of it. Should be interesting on what they want for it.

View attachment 735217
View attachment 735218

View attachment 735226

View attachment 735227

It looks like mostly ammo and brass to me. The value of the brass would vary depending on how much work was done, especially true for anything with a crimped primer like 5.56 or .308 -- the first time using such brass involves a lot of case prep.

In the first picture, the storage boxes are about $3.50 to $5.50 new (most of them are green but there are some other colors -- the green ones should have a hinge and I like those better than the ones that just have a flexible strip of plastic). EDIT: if the green boxes on the right have a handle, they're worth more new than the price I mentioned. I've never bought one of those types though so I can't say what the new price is.

In the third pic, there's ammo and mags but I don't see any components. There is something in the upper right corner that might be a tool but I'm not familiar with or at least, can't make out what it is. In the last picture, all I see is gun parts.

Wow bullets alone are 9 cents now? That's crazy. Just checked 9mm brass ammo prices and 67 cpr for blazer brass? This is insane. Guess I need to sell some 9mm ammo, which I never do.
9mm.JPG

Wow bullets alone are 9 cents now? That's crazy. Just checked 9mm brass ammo prices and 67 cpr for blazer brass? This is insane. Guess I need to sell some 9mm ammo, which I never do.
View attachment 735247

They've been about a dime, give or take, for copper plated bullets since before the pandemic, at least online (including shipping) or available locally in my area. Hardcast might have been be a bit cheaper but not significantly. For me at least, 9c is pre-panic pricing and the lead pot and moulds I bought at the same time gave me mostly free shipping on the entire order, so I don't feel bad about the price.

I'm going to an estate sale tomorrow morning in Portland ...

How did you do?

The pictures kind of make me sad, thinking about all the years that guy had shooting and reloading and now his family just wants to get rid of it. Unless I just suddenly keel over, all my tools and guns and books are going to good homes; I want to make sure my joy gets passed on to someone that will make good use of the stuff I accumulated.

The guy had over $80,000 worth of firearms removed from his home after his wife was diagnosed with Alzheimers.
None of the neighbors knew about his hobby, as he kept his own council and when the medical people visited his home to check up on her, they saw his firearms and the cops came and removed every one of them citing the new laws.
They eventually were auctioned off after he died.
The first group of guys bought all the good stuff, as only one person could enter after one person left. They took their sweet time cherry picking the cream of the crop. I was impressed with his basement setup and bought some reloading supplies.

Last Edited:
The guy had over $80,000 worth of firearms removed from his home after his wife was diagnosed with Alzheimers.
None of the neighbors knew about his hobby, as he kept his own council and when the medical people visited his home to check up on her, they saw his firearms and the cops came and removed everyone one of them citing the new laws.
They eventually were auctioned off after he died.
The first group of guys bought all the good stuff, as only one person could enter after one person left. They took their sweet time cherry picking the cream of the crop. I was impressed with his basement setup and bought some reloading supplies.

So wait a second -- did he die before his wife? Did they take all his stuff merely because she had Alzheimers or did he die and leave a house full of firearms that his wife wasn't safe with?

She was diagnosed and was being treated at home, and when they walked into his house, they found loaded firearms and so they called the cops who enacted the new safety laws and removed all of them and put them under lock and key.
He passed away after she did and then his heirs sold all of his collection.
This was all told to me by the next door neighbor who let me park in his driveway so I could load up the lead I had bought.

She was diagnosed and was being treated at home, and when they walked into his house, they found loaded firearms and so they called the cops who enacted the new safety laws and removed all of them and put them under lock and key.
He passed away after she did and then his heirs sold all of his collection.
This was all told to me by the next door neighbor who let me park in his driveway so I could load up the lead I had bought.

This is a really sad tale.

That 9mm Guard Dog bullet is a special bullet. It isn't just a ho-hum plinking bullet. 9 cents apiece is a good price. A year from now, they could be worth twice that. Some of the so-called factory seconds that Midway sells aren't blems. They are "discontinueds" from lines of ammo that are no longer made. I've bought weird stuff like this from Midway before, didn't use it, but did well selling it later. Like the 7.62 Mark 319 Mod O bullets. Those 9mm Guard Dog bullets are a deal. I just went for a 1000 of them. $100, what's that these days? Two tanks of fuel in your aircraft carrier-sized pickup?

I have received them and as Paul mentions in the video, there is an "F" imprinted on the face of the bullet. I think it's safe to say these are Guard Dog bullets.

Hmmm -- hammer time. I think there's no doubt, these are the GD bullets.
hammered.png

any load info out for this bullet?

Not so far as I know.

EDIT: I have a speer manual from the 90s that matches powder I have at both 100 gr and 115 gr projectiles.

AA#5:
100 gr
6.7 to 7.4 gr
1150, 1274 book velocity

115 gr
6.1 to 6.8
1003, 1102 book velocity

This bullet is 1/3 of the way between the light and heavy bullets, and there is -0.6 gr between light and heavy, so I figure I'll start at 6.5 and see what velocity I get with that.

Last Edited:
That 9mm Guard Dog bullet is a special bullet. It isn't just a ho-hum plinking bullet. 9 cents apiece is a good price. A year from now, they could be worth twice that. Some of the so-called factory seconds that Midway sells aren't blems. They are "discontinueds" from lines of ammo that are no longer made. I've bought weird stuff like this from Midway before, didn't use it, but did well selling it later. Like the 7.62 Mark 319 Mod O bullets. Those 9mm Guard Dog bullets are a deal. I just went for a 1000 of them. $100, what's that these days? Two tanks of fuel in your aircraft carrier-sized pickup?

Last night when I read your post I thought -- hmmm -- I'll get some more of these (they were still available). But it was late and all that. Anyway, checked just a moment ago -- sold out. I shoulda got another box.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top