JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
That the vast majority of LEOs are good guys risking their lives doing a thankless job.

Every now and then, it doesn't hurt to give them a pat on the back and say "thank you".

1836809_710566202347215_8883731647365010325_o.jpg

Sad thing is stuff like this happens all the time. Most cops are great people, that love serving their community. The take abuse all day and get treated like ish, deal with 1000s of dirtbag so they can get that one thank you.
The sad thing is the media puts the vary few bad cops all over the news and papers to get ratings and stir tension.

I also agree most officers are good guys doing a hard job, and rarely get recognized for the good things they do. Community outreach is one that seems to be overlooked at times. Last Halloween, officer Robert Libke of the Oregon City police department was representing their department during the annual downtown Oregon City trick or treat down Main street. We had a chance to meet him and chat with him for a moment as he greeted and handed out candy to hundreds of little kids with a big smile on his face. 3 days later, on Nov. 3rd, officer Libke was shot and killed by a man who had set his own home on fire, a man who then committed suicide. Officer Libke left behind a pregnant wife. It was a very sad story but serves to remind that while these folks respond to any call, they never know what they may face. I have a lot of respect for LE, fire, military and anyone else that can and will put their lives on the line to protect people they don't even know. Unfortunately, the bad ones tend to get all the press.

I read this earlier today and went from initially thinking it was fake to then thinking it sounds really staged. The overly congratulatory nature of the letter is a bit much for me.

That being said i visited their facebook page & it does seem they have some good officers on deck. I'd much rather see these types of stories than not.

This is where AMERICA stands Proud. I wrote Cheif a letter last night, here is his reply. Mayfield may exist everywhere if the Good People get back into power.

Chris,

I couldn't agree more. This is where private sector and government sector differ. I really want to give all these guys a big raise and a few extra days off to spend with their families, but that's not how the public system works. The only way I could think to put these guys on the pedestal they deserve was to tell the community how great they really are. I'm very pleased so many people are becoming aware of the generosity of peace officers through all of this…and I hope everyone takes some time to thank those that serve in their communities and pay the act of charity forward! There are a LOT of great human beings in this world…some of them are cops, and we're all better off for reminding ourselves of that once in a while.

Best regards,

Robert F. Kappelman

Chief of Police

North Bend Police Department

835 California Ave

North Bend, OR 97459

(541)756-3161

This is where AMERICA stands Proud. I wrote Cheif a letter last night, here is his reply. Mayfield may exist everywhere if the Good People get back into power.

Chris,

I couldn't agree more. This is where private sector and government sector differ. I really want to give all these guys a big raise and a few extra days off to spend with their families, but that's not how the public system works. The only way I could think to put these guys on the pedestal they deserve was to tell the community how great they really are. I'm very pleased so many people are becoming aware of the generosity of peace officers through all of this…and I hope everyone takes some time to thank those that serve in their communities and pay the act of charity forward! There are a LOT of great human beings in this world…some of them are cops, and we're all better off for reminding ourselves of that once in a while.

Best regards,

Robert F. Kappelman

Chief of Police

North Bend Police Department

835 California Ave

North Bend, OR 97459

(541)756-3161

If only the media and other people would bring attention to all the stories highlighting the attitude and behavior they wanted to see, maybe the right kind of people would see it and become officers. I think there are more officers out there like this than there are rotten apples. Unfortunately, stories like this rarely sell well in the media, but they can get a week out of a cop tasering an uncooperative dirtbag...

Definitely kudos to the Officer, not only for the action, but for the selfless manner in which he went about it. Says a lot that he did it, says even more that he didn't advertise it.

must agree i broke down on the way to the coast hauling the 5th wheel. the officer did everything he could to keep us safe while we waited.

There's good officers everywhere. The proliferation of media and the "if it bleeds, it leads" mentality have changed things. The good stuff is less often reported.

A couple of years ago I was hauling tail to Seattle for a meeting I was late for. I got stopped for 94 in a 45.

The WSP officer ticketed me, but only for 60. Which brought the fine down to minimal and would have no insurance effect. All because I was polite, admitted my guilt and treated him normally and respectfully.

With that respect, he brought some back. I didn't expect to get out of the ticket. That was a huge break he gave me and I thanked him profusely.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top