JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for a unique gift, and I'm hoping someone can help me locate it.

I am looking for some solid gold bullets/cartridges like on "American Guns". Does anyone know of a local(seattle) place to find something like those, or silver would work too.

Thanks

Cool idea man- I thought about doing something like that only loading them live with silver bullets so they could be decoration, trade items, or usable in a pinch (or to kill a werewolf :) ).

Well...
The density of gold is 19.3, while lead is 11.34 g/cc, so a bullet the same size as a conventional lead 230gr .45ACP slug would weigh (19.3/11.34)*230 = 391.4gr, which is 0.895 av. oz.
More to the point, 391gr equals 0.816 Troy oz, which means the melt value of it would be $1400 at today's price.

That's $3.58 per grain.

I remember from back on the day I worked on PC board manufacturing, if gold plating over copper, it is a good idea to lay a metal barrier between the gold and copper, like nickel. Increases wear resistance. Gold attaches to Ni better than to Cu. Also, the Ni acts as a barrier, preventing CU to migrate into the Au, creating a tarnished appearance.

While it is a very cool gift idea, it would be quite expensive for ANY solid gold bullet. Were I a lottery winner, I may have a few just for conversation pieces. I however, am not a lottery winner. The idea of actual silver bullets intrigues me. Not only still a viable conversation piece, but much less costly and more useful than gold. If you don't mind, I may steal your idea in the future. If you do get any gold or silver bullets made, please let us know the details. I have to tell you, if I were given silver or gold bullets , I would be very pleased with that gift. Good luck in getting them made. Kip.

I was thinking it would make a good gift for a nephew's 1st birthday. Think of it as a payment for college or first car. Or if he keeps it forever the value will always be there it's not like I'm throwing the gold away. But then I got thinking a 50bmg would look pretty nice cast in solid silver too.

jbuck
Just re-read your OP : Can you clarify : Bullet or Catridge
a 223 60 grain bullet is a lot different than an actual cartridge.
Was your goal to leave the cartidge empty cavity or make it solid gold?

I am looking for a unique gift, and I'm hoping someone can help me locate it.

I am looking for some solid gold bullets/cartridges like on "American Guns". Does anyone know of a local(seattle) place to find something like those, or silver would work too.

Thanks

Y'know, gold is so soft that it might not survive a launch from a rifle cartridge. Besides, at a density 70% higher than lead, it might create dangerous breech pressures. Silver would be a much better choice, not least of all because it's much more affordable. Besides, silver is antibiotic, so your target won't get infected. If it survives.

I know someone in the longview wa area that I believe could do this for you in gold or silver but as far as shooting a solid gold bullet if out of a pistol it should be fine but a rifle depending on speed it could seperate before it ever reached the traget mostly 3000fps or faster. let me know if you need his contact info he does good work I've had him cast me rings,earings and pedants for gifts

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top