JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.357 magnum isn't high pressure...riiiiight. Anyway, thanks for reading my entire post. The high pressure COMBINED with the case geometry leaves more potential for issues after a setback than the calibers you mention above. Lets go through the list...based on the specs you provided. .357 Sig - no argument there, the OP even said there may be an issue and it is derived .40 S&W. .45 ACP is 40% less pressure to start with. 9mm is the same pressure and similar length to 40. However, the surface of .40 cal is 25% larger than the 9, so the case volume decreases at a faster rate relative to 9mm as the bullet is set deeper into the case. That is why setback causes pressure to reach dangerous levels faster than 9mm.

All that being said, I'm not trying to say .40 is a defective or bad design. It just has less safety margin in this circumstance than some other calibers. I also agree that Glock is a great gun. However, you freely admit that older Glock 40 barrels have a bad chamber design. I simply said ANY poorly supported chamber increased risk. Individual owners of ANY pistol should drop a bullet in their barrel and compare case support to the photos above. Honda Accord is a safe car, but not as safe as Mercedes S600. And if you plan to push the limits but still want the utmost in safety, consider ordering the S600 armored.

WTF? Good job of making a simple subject seem complicated. I read your post and simply posted facts that are indisputable. You can look them up and get the same numbers I posted. You have a problem with a post that doesn't take sides, just states facts and then you ramble on as if incoherent. Plus you need a remedial math lesson; "the surface of .40 is 25% larger than the 9", how did you come up with this stuff?

What popped your AR?

H

If you ask Federal it was something wrong with my AR. If you asked Bushmaster it was the ammo. Bottom line is Federal paid to have my AR fixed. I have no idea what caused the kaBOOM. What I do know is that since it's been fixed (7 years ago +/-) I have put 3000-3500 reloads through it and a 1000 Federal XM193's including an AR class where we put 700-800 manufactured only rounds downrange. I haven't had so much as a hint of a problem other than the misfeeds that were intentionally setup during the class. I bet I have as many as 8000 rounds through this AR and the only problems I've ever had (aside from the kaBOOM) have been intentionally setup.

WELL... Since the question was raised, and alll......

Even after 15 hours fasting, 2 hours sleep, and NO CAFFEINE, I still scored 129 the last time I took an IQ test... so your buddies must be some Einsteins.

The time before, with food in my tummy and well rested, I scored a 136. That was about a decade ago, and the lower score was from about a year ago, so I don't walk around claiming a 136 IQ anymore. At least until I get an opportunity to re-take it; after breakfast and a cup of coffee would be nice.

Kinda full of yourself aren't you Mr. Mensa???? Give it a rest brainiac.

Oh man... I hate getting into internet "pissing matches," but I generally win REAL ones...

Ever pissed off a 2,000' cliff?

Nope, can't claim a 2000' cliff but I can claim a couple hanging belays as I watched pigeons and what not fly out from the cracks underneath me. Have you ever tried to dig your Johnson out in a climbing harness?

WELL... Since the question was raised, and alll......

Even after 15 hours fasting, 2 hours sleep, and NO CAFFEINE, I still scored 129 the last time I took an IQ test... so your buddies must be some Einsteins.

I wonder what Einstein's IQ was? He was so focused on one thing that he gave up wearing socks and combing his hair. He couldn't remember to mate his socks and got tired of being laughed at for wearing two different kinds of socks.

The absent minded professor can screw up anything.

How many times do we have to post this? All auto load guns have a portion of the chamber unsupported. It's called the feed ramp. Without that, they wouldn't load.

unsupportedchambers-1.jpg

Kinda full of yourself aren't you Mr. Mensa???? Give it a rest brainiac.

Even using the S&B testing method, I'm currently 3 ticks shy of minimum entry requirements.

Nope, can't claim a 2000' cliff but I can claim a couple hanging belays as I watched pigeons and what not fly out from the cracks underneath me. Have you ever tried to dig your Johnson out in a climbing harness?

All the time- I had my harness on for the photo above- it's under my insulating pants.

Here's about an hour later, rapping off..

Hell... I practically live in the thing...

it was a high round count glock 22 40s&w, he was shooting reloads at a competion and in went bang. it fractured to poly lower too. the guy go's to shoots every chance he gets and has for the last 20 years. he's an avid reloader and has been for years.

it was a high round count glock 22 40s&w, he was shooting reloads at a competion and in went bang. it fractured to poly lower too. the guy go's to shoots every chance he gets and has for the last 20 years. he's an avid reloader and has been for years.

What's high-round? For a lot of people, 10,000 rounds is "high round count." Other guys have glocks they've put 50,000+ rounds through. I have a G17 with about 25-30k through it. I would not call it "high round count," it's still 100%, with years left on it. I'm pretty sure Todd Green has a G19 with something like 150,000 rounds through it.

I'm trying to make a point here... for some reason, some guys think a picture of a busted gun tells the story. "Oh, looks like Glocks just break." Nope. Tells us nothing.

And what was the cause determined to be?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top