JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
a guy that bought some Machine gun ammo...

1FAIL.jpg

If you google 'glock 40 kb' there's lots of stories, and some intelligent discussion. The high pressure of 40 cal combined with the short/wide case design creates an opportunity to theoretically increase the pressure exponentially (to dangerous levels) when bullets are pushed further into the case (setback) by multiple chambering/ejecting cycles on a carry piece. The feedramp in glock (and some other pistols) that is designed for reliably feeding hollowpoints leaves part of the case exposed and relies on the strength of the case to contain the pressure. Add reloads (or too thin cases) to the setback bullets and an unsupported chamber and KABOOM!

So, what to do? Some or all of the following:
-Wear safety glasses
-Don't shoot 40 (Shoot 10MM like it was intended!)
-Don't shoot guns with unsupported chambers. (You might be dissapointed in the feeding dept)
-Don't shoot reloads (Glock's rule, not mine)
-Segregate chambered carry ammo after one use (inspect and shoot next time @ range)
-Last but not least, send your guns to an artist in SF to turn into a bike rack

Choose a few of the sacrifices above that you can live with and you'll be a little less likely to loose an eye or trigger finger.

Modern firearms are actually pretty safe to blow up. The ejection port is away from the typical shooters body and is where stuff generally blows out to. On a wheelgun the recoil plate and topstrap serve to direct a overload away from the shooter.

The worst that might happen is you get tattooed with some powder and bits of brass. Which is why you wear eyepro when shooting.

H

I posted this in a previous thread. Since I dont feel like typing it all out again, you're getting a copy/paste.

Yep, AR's blow up too. I had it happen to me. My chin was stippled with brass and carbon, each forearm had parts buried in them, under each ofmy collar bones as well.

Long story short: any gun can blow up. It can be due to ammo, unsupported case, bad metal in the gun, bad ammo brass, bad mojo, bad breather, or bad luck.

I'd bet most those popped guns have one thing in common:

Reloads.

Aside from the obviously bulged barrels from barrel obstructions, most those look like gross overcharges or wrong powder in the case. And that pretty much only happens with reloads. H

Likely but not always the case. My AR had a kaBOOM shooting Federal XM193. I have since fired thousands of rounds of XM193 without a so much as a hiccup. Stuff happens as the saying goes.

Yep, AR's blow up too. I had it happen to me. My chin was stippled with brass and carbon, each forearm had parts buried in them, under each ofmy collar bones as well.

Long story short: any gun can blow up. It can be due to ammo, unsupported case, bad metal in the gun, bad ammo brass, bad mojo, bad breather, or bad luck.

What popped your AR?

H

Trust me big boy either of the guys I was talking to were smarter than you

WELL... Since the question was raised, and alll......

Even after 15 hours fasting, 2 hours sleep, and NO CAFFEINE, I still scored 129 the last time I took an IQ test... so your buddies must be some Einsteins.

600px-IQ_curve.svg.png

The time before, with food in my tummy and well rested, I scored a 136. That was about a decade ago, and the lower score was from about a year ago, so I don't walk around claiming a 136 IQ anymore. At least until I get an opportunity to re-take it; after breakfast and a cup of coffee would be nice.

The Brits and Israelis made various loads for subguns in special conditions.

It may nit have blown up the Glock 17, yet but if it is subgun ammo it is beating the snot out f it.

H

If you google 'glock 40 kb' there's lots of stories, and some intelligent discussion. The high pressure of 40 cal combined with the short/wide case design creates an opportunity to theoretically increase the pressure exponentially (to dangerous levels) when bullets are pushed further into the case (setback) by multiple chambering/ejecting cycles on a carry piece.

But, the .40 S&W operates at a SAAMI pressure of 35,000 PSI and the 9MM Parabellum operates at a SAAMI pressure of..........35,000 PSI, which one is a "high pressure" cartridge? .357 Sig is 40,000, .45 ACP is 21,000 and the .357 Magnum? 35,000 PSI.
You could get in trouble with handloads but factory ammo, prolly not. The weapon design has more to do with it. Glock had a problem (vera, vera, bad problem) and fixed it. I've owned a dozen or so .40 Glocks and have not been without one at any time in the last 12 yrs. They work.

Even after 15 hours fasting, 2 hours sleep, and NO CAFFEINE, I still scored 129 the last time I took an IQ test... so your buddies must be some Einsteins.

Ted Bundy had an IQ of 129........just sayin'......

WELL... Since the question was raised, and alll......

600px-IQ_curve.svg.png

The time before, with food in my tummy and well rested, I scored a 136. That was about a decade ago, and the lower score was from about a year ago, so I don't walk around claiming a 136 IQ anymore. At least until I get an opportunity to re-take it; after breakfast and a cup of coffee would be nice.

Doesn't mean you haver any idea of what you speak and I could make that up for myself on the webberneten
But I'm sure someone (beside yourself) is impressed

And the thing that I find cute,is the fact that all a genius like you could come up with was a cat and cheese?

Doesn't mean you haver any idea of what you speak and I could make that up for myself on the webberneten
But I'm sure someone (beside yourself) is impressed

And the thing that I find cute,is the fact that all a genius like you could come up with was a cat and cheese?

Well I don't think I meant it as harshly as you took it... I was just ribbing you/whoever said they use "machinegun" 9mm in their Glock. But I thought the cat with cheese on it's face was great, meself.

And "genius" is somewhere around 145IQ... 129 is very high, but not genius.

But, the .40 S&W operates at a SAAMI pressure of 35,000 PSI and the 9MM Parabellum operates at a SAAMI pressure of..........35,000 PSI, which one is a "high pressure" cartridge? .357 Sig is 40,000, .45 ACP is 21,000 and the .357 Magnum? 35,000 PSI.
You could get in trouble with handloads but factory ammo, prolly not. The weapon design has more to do with it. Glock had a problem (vera, vera, bad problem) and fixed it. I've owned a dozen or so .40 Glocks and have not been without one at any time in the last 12 yrs. They work.

.357 magnum isn't high pressure...riiiiight. Anyway, thanks for reading my entire post. The high pressure COMBINED with the case geometry leaves more potential for issues after a setback than the calibers you mention above. Lets go through the list...based on the specs you provided. .357 Sig - no argument there, the OP even said there may be an issue and it is derived .40 S&W. .45 ACP is 40% less pressure to start with. 9mm is the same pressure and similar length to 40. However, the surface of .40 cal is 25% larger than the 9, so the case volume decreases at a faster rate relative to 9mm as the bullet is set deeper into the case. That is why setback causes pressure to reach dangerous levels faster than 9mm.

All that being said, I'm not trying to say .40 is a defective or bad design. It just has less safety margin in this circumstance than some other calibers. I also agree that Glock is a great gun. However, you freely admit that older Glock 40 barrels have a bad chamber design. I simply said ANY poorly supported chamber increased risk. Individual owners of ANY pistol should drop a bullet in their barrel and compare case support to the photos above. Honda Accord is a safe car, but not as safe as Mercedes S600. And if you plan to push the limits but still want the utmost in safety, consider ordering the S600 armored.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top