JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was at the gun range today, talking to fellow shooter. He was shooting a Ruger Mark III, I shot my Ruger Mark I. He told me that he got his Ruger after Glock sent him a brand new gun (straight across trade) because his .40 cal Glock blew up in his hand. He also had a .357 SIG Glock blow apart. Luckily, no injury. He told me he learned that both of these calibers have or had a small unsupported case area in the chamber, so if you had any ammo with a weak case wall they can blow up the gun.
Has anyone else heard about this occurrence? According to my new aquaintance 9mm and .45 Glocks DO NOT have the unsupported case area in the chamber, therefore they don't have any problems of this sort. Anyone had anything like this happen to them?

I posted this in a previous thread. Since I dont feel like typing it all out again, you're getting a copy/paste.

Any gun will blow up under the right circumstances.
I dont mind wasting bandwidth. There's 22 paid advertisement links on this page alone, so you know there's plenty of bandwidth to go around.

1911's blow up
amtkaboom1-1-tm.jpg

AMTkaboom3.jpg

KaBoom.jpg

KaBoom_022.jpg

Even really expensive ones:

Revolvers blow up:

attachment.php?attachmentid=482663&stc=1&d=1259343318.jpg

Shotguns blow up:
5543564735_8eafbc11f7.jpg

kaboom2.jpg

misc021.jpg

Rifles blow up:
ar15:
AR-15-Kaboom-2.jpg

ak47:
[video=youtube;QgztHGBnfAk]

Guns blow up. Show me a popular firearm, and i'll find a pic of someone who managed to blow one up.
If a kaboom is your main concern, stick to 22's.... oh, wait:

009wce.jpg

Wow... that walther really drives the point home.

Some Glocks have blown up. There's not a mass-produced pistol brand on earth that hasn't, at some point. Glocks are generally a HELL of a lot less likely to, though.

And this is just me here... but I think your range buddy is making stuff up. Guys at the range seem to like to do that.

I'd bet most those popped guns have one thing in common:

Reloads.

Aside from the obviously bulged barrels from barrel obstructions, most those look like gross overcharges or wrong powder in the case. And that pretty much only happens with reloads.

H

I am no expert but I remember when all you heard about was Glock .40 KaBooming. It was almost like no other gun in the world ever did it. Many years ago it is true that Glock barrels did not have as much case support. Now all the Glock chambers seem to have as much support as any other gun. Shooting lead bullets in Glocks (because of leading in the polygonal rifling) can have devastating results (KaBoom).
What I don't understand is why would Glock send out a Ruger Mark III for a gun that blew up? I do like the Ruger Mark pistols but I'll keep ol G22 & G17 by my side (and with the conversion shoot .22's out of both of them).
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

.40 cal blow up and he said he had a .357 sig problem also with his glock?
this caliber can be interchanged and often are in the glock with a switch of the barrel.
sounds like this guy tried to shoot .357 sig out of his .40 cal barrel then blames it on the glock.
lets see mosad,special forces,cops,us soldiers run thousands of rounds through the glock with no problems but some guy at the range has a blow up?sounds like operator error or bad loads.

After re-reading your post I might be wrong thinking Glock sent him a Ruger Mark III. Are you saying he took the brand new replacement gun from Glock and traded straight across for the Ruger Mark III?
???????????????????????????
Don't know what to say about that.

Mike

I'm less worried about a Glock KBing than I am of a newer glock having extraction and feed issues thanks to someone deciding to monkey-hump the internals that were working just fine in previous iterations of the gun (like going with the new MIM extractor vs the old forged extractor, the new ejector, and the new recoil spring assemblies). They could've simply left the guts of the guns alone and put them into the new frames with the swappable backstraps (and thus not also monkey humped the newer Gen 3 guns, since most parts are the same). But someone had to have "change" - and it seems like it wasn't for the better. Lots of folks are having issues with their new Glocks, especially the 9mm versions.

Hickock45 has a great YouTube of a Gen 4 G-19 up, and you can see when he's shooting - the thing ejects cases randomly - some don't even make it further than the top of the slide, others eject *left*, while some fling to the right like they were launched out of a canon. The older Gen 3 and Gen 2 Glocks I've had always had pretty normal ejection - sending cases about 4 feet behind me off to my right, except when the recoil springs got weak.

And from the pictures - holy crap - what kind of load does it take to blow up a Blackhawk? Ruger's revolvers are about the strongest frames you can get - and to see one blown apart like that is downright scary.

.40 cal blow up and he said he had a .357 sig problem also with his glock?
this caliber can be interchanged and often are in the glock with a switch of the barrel.
sounds like this guy tried to shoot .357 sig out of his .40 cal barrel then blames it on the glock.
lets see mosad,special forces,cops,us soldiers run thousands of rounds through the glock with no problems but some guy at the range has a blow up?sounds like operator error or bad loads.
not 357 out of a forty probably 40 out of the 357 barrel or reloads most likely

Has anyone else heard about this occurrence? According to my new aquaintance 9mm and .45 Glocks DO NOT have the unsupported case area in the chamber, therefore they don't have any problems of this sort. Anyone had anything like this happen to them? .

See post #7 here: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/handgun-discussion/80368-gun-prices.html

and

slight breach of etiquette on your part for posting in the wrong forum on the wrong day, but you are relatively new and are therefore forgiven.

thats funny everyone talks bad about the glock and there isent even a glock on this page that is blown up and for two why would glock send out a ruger thats bs keep your guns clean and and lubed up and shoot good ammo and this stuff wont happen
my glock shoots good and it has a stock barrle

thats funny everyone talks bad about the glock and there isent even a glock on this page that is blown up and for two why would glock send out a ruger thats bs keep your guns clean and and lubed up and shoot good ammo and this stuff wont happen
my glock shoots good and it has a stock barrle

Most of those pictures are from overcharged loads and or squibs followed up with another another round right behind them. Not necessarily a defect of the firearm. Human error accounts for a lot. Some Glock kb's can be traced down to morons shooting lead loads in the polygonal rifling leading to lead build up and excessive pressures. I have a G17 and have been perfectly happy with it. The PPD .45's had blown cases that were not caused by shooting lead loads or over pressure reloads. The unsupported barrel was considered a liabilty and they were ditched. They are perfectly happy with the current reliablity of the 9mm Glocks.

As for the .40's it is interesting to take a look at what Glock has quietly been doing with its own barrels over the years. As you can see they have increased the case support area as was already done on aftermarket barrels from Lone Wolf. Don't think they would have made the change unless there was a reason.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top