JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Searched, but didn't find a discussion on these pistols with the Shield Arms 15 rnd mags. Have researched it on GlockTalk forum, but feel like I trust opinions here more. Here's the skinny...the SA 15 mags were introduced with a recommendation to use an aluminum mag catch to prevent wear of the OEM polymer mag catch against the SA steel mag body. Now they are saying to use a steel mag catch. I have been carrying my 43x with the SA 15 mag and aluminum mag catch with no malfunctions. However I haven't been shooting much this year due to ammo panic shortages. I'm ready to just go back to the OEM 10 rnd mags to eliminate the worry of a potential malfunction with aftermarket parts. Finally the question to you is are aluminum mags catches hard on the polymer mags? Should I reinstall the polymer mag catch? Thanks for reading.

If you're worried about wearing out the OEM mags, I would just roll with the OEM "Polymer" mag catch. As for the Shield Arms 15 round mag, I would purchase their new metal mag catch.

If you're worried about wearing out the OEM mags, I would just roll with the OEM "Polymer" mag catch. As for the Shield Arms 15 round mag, I would purchase their new metal mag catch.
I may have misspoke...I'm not "worried". I know that for many years a popular mod on these pistols has been to install aluminum extended mag catches. Just looking for experience with that...do they cause undue wear on Glock polymer mags?

I may have misspoke...I'm not "worried". I know that for many years a popular mod on these pistols has been to install aluminum extended mag catches. Just looking for experience with that...do they cause undue wear on Glock polymer mags?
As for the SA 15 mags, I don't think the beta-testing is over yet...

If you decide to sell your mags, let me know. To answer your question, as a Glock armorer, I would recommend sticking with the polymer mag catch if you are using polymer mags. Metal mag catches will cause increased wear on your polymer mags.

Hands-down, I will always choose Glock's OEM magazine reliability over an aftermarket magazine with greater round capacity. If round count is an issue I will just carry another spare mag. :)
This is what I'm believing...also
I have noticed the the aluminum mag catch does indeed create premature wear of the OEM polymer mag. Going back to stock mag catch with stock mags.

To add, I've never had a failure of any kind, I have 4 SA mags and they've all been perfect.

I run one with a metal mag catch in my 48. My EDC. I have zero worries about reliability.
I believe you probably have the experience to know what is reliable and what is "it's working for now" , but a future failure. I am so inexperienced with guns that I don't trust myself to know the difference between the two...

I believe you probably have the experience to know what is reliable and what is "it's working for now" , but a future failure. I am so inexperienced with guns that I don't trust myself to know the difference between the two...

Funny enough, I was completely anti-Glock for years. I didn't like them at all, tried a Gen2 G17 and hated it. Ended up shooting a Gen3 17 and thought "that's not so bad". Here I am now a Glock fan, mainly because they are RELIABLE. I don't play around with reliability and I certainly won't carry anything I don't have complete confidence in. That said, I have my 48 on me as I type with 15+1 and ZERO doubt it will do what it's designed to do.

I had issues with the SA mags in a G48 with the silver slide. Ended up buying a G48 with a black slide and the SA mags have been perfect. With the ammo shortage, long term evaluation will be on hold indefinitely....

My only issue with SA, is they are always releasing new and improved parts. I get that from a sales perspective, but I'd like to actually buy their mags, etc without having to worry about upgrading to the next/best in six months. I mean they went from a aluminum mag catch to steel, a basic finish on their mags to an improved corrosion protection version. They have a non ambi mag out, their ambi version is forthcoming.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that you can talk directly with the owners via their "Shield Wall" on FB and I've had excellent customer service but I'm just going to sit tight for now and forgo any more "upgrades".
I let things settle down and then reevaluate....

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top