JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I figured out a way to justify (to my better half) purchasing another firearm ... :cool:

My wife and I hike a lot in N Idaho.. Bear country. I usually pack my 3" Kimber CDP, but the .45 ACP is a less than desireable round for (brown) bear.

I could carry my 360PD (.357), but with the 1 7/8" barrel, it's basically a .38. I could carry my .41 mag Blackhawk.. But that damn thing weighs 38+ oz empty... I'm afraid it'll pull my shorts down.. :s0112:

So.. The best choices for this particular venue would be .357, .41 mag, .44 mag, OR... the 10MM.

The Glock 29 gen 4 looks like it could be a decent carry piece. Not too bulky, not too heavy, shouldn't pull my belt and cargo shorts off....

But how does it shoot? Who has had experience with this pop gun? Likes? Dislikes? Talk to me..

The first Glock I ever shot was a Gen 2.5 29 (no rail). I was out in eastern OR scouting with my cousin for his hunting trip. All I cared about was finding a rattle snake! Long story short, after a whole 3 days I hadn't found a snake, until we were about 1/8th mile from the highway, headed home. My guns were all put away (I was 16 or 17 at the time), so he handed me his carry gun, a Glock 29! I jumped out of the truck and shot the snake, from about 20 feet away (I was scared lol). First time shooting it, hit it 5 of the 7 shots I fired.

I instantly feel in love with Glocks, and the 29 is in my top favorites. It has some recoil behind it, but not any more than a compact .40 or .45 I'd say. I really like 10mm, and after I buy a .44 I'm gunna buy one, again...probably a 29.

if you can shoot the Glock trigger the 29 hits. I think its one of the tougher Glocks to be proficient with but with a lot of trigger time I have gotten good with it. I carry one IWB everyday. I changed to a 21# recoil spring because I shoot only full power reloads and the factory spring let it fling brass all over and about 40 yards distance.....a must if shooting full power 10mm.....haven't shot a gen4

I have a Glock 29 3.5Gen, kind of a rare beast as it's essentially a Gen 3 with the Gen 4 springs and front sight. I love it. BUT, after I put a Crimson Trace on it, it became slightly too fat for my hand, but still doable. The recoil is what it is. I'm used to shooting my little Taurus 605 Poly .357mag, so the REDUCTION of recoil (not to mention the increase in power) of full house 10mm in my G29 wasn't all that noticeable to me. My only complaint now is that it wacks my middle finger under the trigger guard, and isn't fun to shoot anymore as a result. I haven't tried using a bandaide on my finger yet to cushion the blow. But it works fine if I'm just running 25 rounds or so through it a session. I mostly shoot my .22LR Advantage Arms upper for it to practice, and shoot 357 SIG with it using my LW conversion barrel. So I don't put a lot of full house 10mm through it. And never use my Glock barrel, except to carry, but use my 10mm LW barrel for my cast reloads. Its a great EDC weapon. But if you don't have upper medium size hands or larger, get an EAA Witness P or a G29SF, as the G29 is a fat beast. I am seriously considering selling mine and getting a Witness P, or at least trying to find an SF frame for it. The CT unit really makes it a bear to use. I still manage fine, and have fun shooting it as is, but it could be more comfortable.

Rodney

Id guess it would all depends on what your shooting through it. normal factory stuff i dont think would be any worse then a G 27 but Underwood might be another story. I have not shot a 29 yet but my 27 was very squirrly in my hands and I had to re grip it every few shots. id hazard to guess that a G 29 with hot underwood going through it would be worse.

Had a 29 and a 20 sold the 29 and never looked back now a 20-C is my main carry gun,underwood 155gr golddots at 1500fps is the Sh##.

No 29 but my main carry is a 30sf and I got rid of my 21 when I discovered that I shot the 30 better than the full size 21. The 29/ 30 do very well with recoil reduction for a pistol that is small enough to carry with relative ease.

Good info everyone. Thanks!

BTW.. "underwood"? "skateboard tape"? :confused:

Underwood is a company that makes quality ammo in smaller lots, boasting top quality components usually loaded hot, in the case of the 10mm its loaded they way it was intended to be from the beginning. One of the only ways to get it aside from hand loading

Skateboard tape is used by people having a problem with gripping the gun or an overly slippery grip....it is a temporary "fix" considering it is tape held on with adhesive, bound to fail over time

I had one, shoots well if you can shoot a Glock. I found with the stock sights I couldn't hit squat, so I sold the 29 not knowing I could have just added some better sights. I have the 20SF longslide now with XS tritium sights, it is my carry gun for woods. Total blast to shoot. Wish I still had the 29 to go with it. I have an XDS 45ACP for CC now, loaded with 45 super Underwood. Close to 10mm force, good for all around... IDK about brownies though. favorite carry gun by a long shot so far.. lot lighter when I am hiking in shorts. I wish the 29 came in single stack!

Last Edited:
I have both a G20SF and a standard G29 which is my EDC...the 29 is completely stock other than some sandpaper stuck to the grip for "traction"....it shoots beautifully in my opinion...oddly enough, I don't have large hands but find it a natural fit, but you definitely know it's there...I do use a +0 extension on the 10rd mag so the little finger doesn't have to curl under it... typically feed it Pow'R Ball 135 gr, advertised at 1400fps/ 588 ft/lbs and Cor Bon 150 gr JHP, 1325fps / 585 ft/lbs...have tried firing hot Buffalo Bore rounds through it but it didn't seem to like those (wondering if different recoils spring would resolve that?)...have also run a fair amount of Double Tap and Winchester Silver tips through it, and it digested everything (other than the buffalo bore) like candy....it's at least as accurate as I am and no issues with it whatsoever...Once you adjust to the Glock trigger, sites & grip, it settles in as a very natural feeling gun to shoot...I highly recommend it

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top