JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm an Italian guy born in Brooklyn in 1950 and that much maligned place gave me a love of country and instilled morality and patriotism in me.
At that time it was damn near a small town in atmosphere without the open spaces and beauty. And yes we had trees, but an outing was often a trip to the park which is not exactly the open range.

My grandparents on both sides came here legally through Ellis Island.
We didn't speak Italian at home because we were "Americans".

School days started with the Pledge of Allegiance and a prayer.

It also gave me a love of culture, NY Pizza, street food and real Jewish delis.
I grew up in a different New York and a different America.

I didn't get a choice of birthplace, but I'm blessed every day it was here.

Maybe we can get some things fixed. As bad as it is,I think the tide is slowly turning.

Diamondback, well said. Some people on this board are just thick headed. How many times do you have to warn them?

CaptJack
"Mike"
I was kidding--if KG's kind get power, we're ALL headed for the Gulag for Wrongthink--and that's the "best-case" scenario. Worst, she becomes Pol Pot reincarnated as a Scandinavian female...

@GOG I'm of Irish/English heritage. One of my da's ancestors came thru at Ellis Island. The intake people filled out the name wrong because granny had such an Irish brogue. I'm stuck with it. I have no idea where granny settled. My mom's side of the family was three brothers that came from England. They settled in Connecticut. Her mom was called Meme' (mem-ay), a French Canadian endearment. We spoke American English but Mom has a decided "Boston" accent. For instance "Jar" is pronounced "Jaw, or Jah" etc. As mentioned previously, my folks moved from CT to L.A. and our family enjoyed the S Calif lifestyle of the 50s. Catholic school started with Mass every morning, then off to class and the Pledge and a prayer, then Catechism etc. I don't know where/when I learned love of flag and country, but I did. I always accepted that's the way things were. Never knew different until the Vietnam protests started up. Now if I watch the major news, it seems that everybody hates this country and disrespects the flag. I know it's not so... that's why I don't watch the MSM news shows.

Last Edited:
She uses a lot of "you" statements. A good sign she is attempting to insulate herself personally from the blather coming out of her &$@! holster.

She'll soon be on the "I gave it my best, but gotta go' train" and head back to the trough...I mean 'public service' yeah, that's it.

I hope she takes Betle and Buddypeg and Camelah with her. Keep Tulsi tho, she's pretty fine. And take the weirding one, MaryJane Williamson daughter of Paul Maui-Dweeb.

;)

Well, we can't help where we were born. :p;)

I was born in Los Angeles, now I live in E Oregon and don't advertise that little fact!! :cool:

Hello,

I am very PROUD of where I was born and where I moved to with my late parents. NY and MD

I have mentioned this here and a LOT in other places on the WWWeb.

I am proud of where I lived with my late husband as a young Nam USN bride too. VA - tiny beach cottage. Although he was out to sea more than he was ever home - stateside.

I am proud where I lived with my late husband in the boonies in his home state (From 1953 on when he arrived in the USA @ almost 8 years old by a couple of months.) after he got out of the USN and after my late Mom died of cancer at barely 49 years old. I moved to his state. Great Lakes region - over 30 years - farm/lake country in the house that we built together shy of laying the brick, doing the frame and a few other things.

I am very proud of my late Mom whose Dad's parents came over a few ships after the Mayflower and her heritage on her Dad's and Mom's side. I will not go into a long history now but it is a GOOD one. Her Mom was a LEGAL immigrant through Ellis Island.

I am very proud of my late Dad who came over here through ELLIS ISLAND legally with his British passport. Cyprus was a British colony and he was British and Greek heritage. He was a SHEPHERD in his own country and his Dad owned land. His Mom died fairly young and his Dad married again. He lived and worked in a few countries on his way to the USA. I will not go into a long history now but it is a GOOD one.

People who don't know the background of other people and what a state, city or village has to offer in ALL ways are not always informed.

I think that I know you but when you make comments about where people are BORN or what kind of background that you think that you know about them is not a wise thing to do.

It makes people think that they are ignorant or that they are bigots because a person may be different than them.

That is EXACTLY WHAT ANTI GUNNERS say and do about GUNS that look different or hold so many rounds or something that they saw in a MOVIE so they think that such and such GUNS are bad and NOT to be legal because they saw it in some movie or in a gang criminal situation.

Mom's Dad's side = English, Irish and Scottish - Mayflower time - DAR

Mom's Mom's side = Finnish, Scandinavian, Nordic
LEGAL immigrant.

Dad's side = English and Greek
LEGAL immigrant.

Both of my parents and some of my mentors were very well known in their field. Mom in the medical field. NY and MD. Dad in the culinary field. NY and MD.

My late Aunt C - Mom's best friend since HS, college and at FORDHAM Law School. NY, MD, DC.

Etc.

Cate
NY Born - MD Raised

I'm an Italian guy born in Brooklyn in 1950 and that much maligned place gave me a love of country and instilled morality and patriotism in me.
At that time it was damn near a small town in atmosphere without the open spaces and beauty. And yes we had trees, but an outing was often a trip to the park which is not exactly the open range.

My grandparents on both sides came here legally through Ellis Island.
We didn't speak Italian at home because we were "Americans".

School days started with the Pledge of Allegiance and a prayer.

It also gave me a love of culture, NY Pizza, street food and real Jewish delis.
I grew up in a different New York and a different America.

I didn't get a choice of birthplace, but I'm blessed every day it was here.

Maybe we can get some things fixed. As bad as it is,I think the tide is slowly turning.

Gog,

Good post.

Thank you!

I was born in 1950 too! Summer baby. I was a premature baby and not expected to live with such a low birth WEIGHT. Typo! NO heroic measures and I only had a feeding tube (NG) and was in an incubator.

I was born in Manhattan (Where my Mom had her other medical studies after college.) and my parents had a home in Brooklyn. I have seen pictures of it but I don't remember the HOUSE since we moved to MD when I was one year old. My Mom went on to Johns-Hopkins with a great offer - work/more school and my Dad told her to go for it so all of us moved. We lived in a very nice brick house further out but still within the city limits.

There was a HUGE park across from where we lived even though we had a nice lawn and trees. We lived there until I was about 12 years old.

I can relate to your post about the Pledge and tons more.

When my Mom went to school in NY - the NY public schools used to recite the Pledge and the 23rd Psalm too. So that covered Christians and Jews in the school system. If a child did not want to say the Psalm if they were in some other religion or an atheist - they stood respectfully and kept quiet. But ALL OF THEM SAID the Pledge.

Her best friend who I was named after was a very well known lawyer and she was from an Irish/RC - Mom and German Jewish/Jew - Dad background. She used to tell me stories after my late Mom died of cancer too. Her Dad was a lawyer and died when she was 4 years old. Her Mom died of breast cancer during her first year of college. Both of her parents were in a second marriage. The Mom was a widow with a son who graduated from West Point and fought in WW1. The Dad was a widower with a grown son in business. That son fought in WW1 too. They fell in love and married. Aunt C. was a RC.

Mom and Aunt C. came from different backgrounds but they were like BLOOD sisters until the day that my late Mom died. I was close to my late 'Aunt' Catherine until the day that she died in my arms too.

I always called her Aunt Catherine even though she was not a BLOOD relative. I was known as Little Catherine although I grew up taller than tiny Aunt Catherine.

A lot of history but this is not the place for it here.

My late family and I have known and have welcomed ALL KINDS of people from all kinds of backgrounds (Overseas and USA), nationalities, religions, colors, looks, clothing, education, professions, rich, poor, middle class, American citizens, legal immigrants who studied here and moved away to help their own countries, legal immigrants who decided to make the USA their home and did it legally-honestly, etc.

People who escaped from the communists in Russia. People who escaped and could NOT escape from Hitler in Germany. You name it and some of them went to school with my late Mom and some of them did not. Some of them were in my late husband's family too.

My late Mom was fluent in several languages. My late Dad was to a degree too. We spoke English at home too.

My late Mom used to travel to Finland every summer for years on end too.

Added more: My late Mom went to live with her Dad when she was 12 years old. Her parents had divorced when she was young. Her step mother was a wonderful lady and was Italian descent. Her only sister stayed with her Mom.

My late husband had to learn to speak English and he spoke English at 'home' once he learned it from 1953 and on - USA. He was born right after WW2 ended.

Cate

Last Edited:
People who don't know the background of other people and what a state, city or village has to offer in ALL ways are not always informed.

I think that I know you but when you make comments about where people are BORN or what kind of background that you think that you know about them is not a wise thing to do.

It makes people think that they are ignorant or that they are bigots because a person may be different than them.

Most people here know that the :p;) I put after what I wrote means that I was teasing/joking... What has it come to that people can't take a friendly joke from somebody that has always been friendly to them. Then imply that the person that made the friendly tease/joke is

1. Not wise
2. Ignorant
3. Bigot

Thanks a lot Old Lady Cate, wise up!!

I may have helped stoke things with my post about B'klyn.
Kumbaya & mea culpa.

Now...

Actual gun seizures would be the equivalent of declaring war on part of the population.
That's United States Citizens having their property confiscated by their own government under threat of lethal force.

In America?

Do they think we are all frightened sheep?

It wouldn't take too many seizures for the PTB to realize it's a lost cause just from the sheer numbers of gun owners who won't roll over.
They'll lose personnel and the publicity will be terrible.
Because it will definitely get out. There's no way to hide that many firefights from the public and there will be.
Imagine mini Waco's or Ruby Ridges or Malheur & LaVoy Finnecum, or ...
You get the idea.

My guess is that there will be many unintended consequences and I don't know if they want to open that door.

They're going after ammunition as well now with great gusto. First they used lead and the environment to make inroads and now they'll try to restrict, tax & ultimately outlaw the stuff.
Of course mags have been a thorn in their side for years.

I dunno', it may be time to smack the bully soon. We all have our limits.
I'm hoping and praying we can get through the election without much further acrimony.
Then maybe things will settle, if not it could get really bad.
Although that might be the only way to get things reset.

As far as voting, that's between a persons conscience and them.
Our vote is private by design.
Our vote was bought with blood and honor and because of that it's disrespectful to waste it, or worse, not to vote at all.

YMMV

Only if I get the same protection afforded to politicians.
Give me armed security everywhere I go and for my children and I'll give up my firearms at compensation that is equal to giving up my God given rights.

Say, a million a piece or so?
And $10k a round of ammo

"if you are arrested for using an assault weapon, you're going to have an aggravated felony. The whole point is when you make it a crime to own an assault weapon, then if you are found using it, that would be the issue."

Using it for what, exactly, Kirsten?
Competition? Hunting? Plinking? Murder? All the same thing? A rat is a cat is a dog is a boy, is that where we're headed?

This gal is as bad as Bernie when it comes to answering pointed questions... obfuscate and defer to talking points and NOBODY ever says, "Okay, you don't like the NRA, got it. What I asked you was do you endorse prison-time for AR15 owners... yes or no?". That's a pretty simple question and MILLIONS of legal AR owners deserve to know where each and every candidate stands on that. Yes, that includes Trump. All of em are dancing around it w vague threats... SAY IT!

I'd LOVE to interview any one (or ALL) of them... the funniest part would be that I'd only have to "prepare" one, maybe two questions and it would fill a solid hour with blather and bubblegum while I asked the same thing over and over without an answer.

Why do I think that would be funny? Because I'd be making faces at the camera. Maybe farting some, that's usually funny. If things got real bad I'd do shadow puppets or make balloon animals. Unprofessional? Yep. Just like CNN... only, u know... better.
See what public education gets ya... Don't have to worry about her, she'll not make primary season...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top