JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Every year I end up with blackberry vines crawling across my property in various places. I've got a big one that is a bit out of the way, but I've let it go for over a year and now it's becoming a problem.

Some years back, we had an acquaintance that worked for PGE on their brush clearing crew. He gave us a bottle of dark brown liquid, that, when sprayed in just a small amount at the base of the vines, killed them completely, not to grow back again. My wife loaned that bottle to a neighbor, who then moved away and never gave it back. Our contact with the PGE guy is no longer available.

He had mentioned the stuff he gave us (can't remember the darn name of it) was only available to those with a commercial license - it's not available to rubes like me. The stuff worked better than anything I had ever tried, man I'd love to get some of that stuff again.

That said, since I don't have access to it, let me ask your opinions on getting rid of hard to kill plants like blackberries? Roundup doesn't work. I've tried a variety of blackberry control sprays and really, they don't work either. I've tried a few 'natural' remedies like vinegar and boiling water, also to no avail.

I recently heard that rock salt is a great way to kill vegetation, but it essentially poisons the soil for months until enough rain comes to wash the excess salt out of the ground - and, it will kill anything else growing in the area too.

So, just curious if any of you good folks have some recommendations to take care of these darn things? The interwebs have surprisingly been of little help on this topic to date. Seems each suggestion is followed by someone else saying it won't work. Maybe someone out there in NWFA land has some experience they'd care to share??

This is how you do it.

There are only TWO TIMES per year you spray blackberries.

2, 4d (crossbow) 2oz per gallon, a couple drops of dish soap in bottle to break surface tension... Sticks better to leaves.

1: in the spring when new sprouts come up.

2: in the fall.

When you spray the new spring shoots they take the crossbow and it goes directly to the roots. Kills them damn fast. My neighbor told me I could spray his constantly irritating berries. He said he always used crossbow and roundup but it never did anything. At the proper time this spring I sprayed once. Killed them all dead.

In the fall before they go dormant for the winter they take nutrients from leaves and store them in the root ball. Spray at this time and they again, take the spray to the root and kills them dead.

I have a blackberry free yard the first year moving to our house and now the neighbors back fence line berries are deceased when he said it was impossible.

The problem with summer spraying is the thick leaves. They are thickened up to keep moisture and bugs off and out so the goodness killer doesn't get absorbed.

Last Edited:
I used roundup blackberry killer all my carrier to keep them at bay and still use it at my house because for some reason my gut and the weather rarely agree and I miss the window that @Dyjital mentioned a lot of years.

I found that it helps a lot if you have a couple days of 70 or less days preferably 3 days before it rains.

Use at the recommended dosage and soak all the leaves - doesn't matter how close to the base you are, just soak anything green If bad then repeat in 2 weeks or as the weather permits.

IT WILL TAKE 3 WEEKS AT LEAST before you see any results. Then it will start to die fast.

Once it is all dead and brown, use a stiff spined rake to break it up and collect it.

Adding to @Joe13, ours here started spotting in 3 days then by a week they were severely wilted and at about day 12-14 (the two week mark) they were gone with nothing but woody stems left.

Important note about soaking the leaves. Top and bottom... Like a teenager on his first girlfriend.

Preference is when there is about 4" of vivid green growth in spring. When it's growing so fast that it can't support its self and is floppy... That's the absolute perfect time for a single application kill.

Last Edited:

image.jpeg

+1 what Dyjital said.
Just be sure what your are spraying, you want dead. It will kill most any plants.
Best to spray when there is no wind!

Sounds like some great suggestions guys, thanks! I'll probably plan to follow what @Dyjital suggested, but I hate waiting until the fall to do this - I wish I would have though to ask a few months ago.

So is there anything I can do now that will help retard the growth over the summer? Is it best to just spray them with Crossbow now to help keep them from going completely crazy over the next 4 months?

Sounds like some great suggestions guys, thanks! I'll probably plan to follow what @Dyjital suggested, but I hate waiting until the fall to do this - I wish I would have though to ask a few months ago.

So is there anything I can do now that will help retard the growth over the summer? Is it best to just spray them with Crossbow now to help keep them from going completely crazy over the next 4 months?
Water them. Force them into new lime green growth. Then hit them hard on that growth.

I just walked the dog and noticed some "lime green" shoots on the end of a lot of bb in my area. (Centralia) might still have time. Check and see if the tips are still forming.

That's such a great business Idea for getting $$$ from the hipster greenie "types" that populate the area! I'll bet her company is thriving even if it works or not. Seems like it would though.

Maybe I could convince a couple of vegans to come over for 'free salad' :rolleyes:

a herd of goats. They will eat the things away and leave excellent fertilizer so you can plant something decent there.
Then some pigs to devour the roots
Just remember,every thing these guys have told you about poisoning the plants (to HELL with the anti greener attitude,poison poisons people(kids) too we are all water based like plantso_O)
will kill all plants in your yard;)

Then some pigs to devour the roots
Just remember,every thing these guys have told you about poisoning the plants (to HELL with the anti greener attitude,poison poisons people(kids) too we are all water based like plantso_O)
will kill all plants in your yard;)

It all figures - I can't grow anything to save my life, save for weeds :( Mr. Brown Thumb over here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top