JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mostly it grows in open areas, usually with recently disturbed soils.

When you move those soils around you open up a seed bank that may have not seen the light of day for a hundred years and all of a sudden you have things growing you have never seem before. Seeds can lay dormant for a long time until they get enough warmth and air to germinate.

member: 31747 said:
Some years back, we had an acquaintance that worked for PGE on their brush clearing crew. He gave us a bottle of dark brown liquid, that, when sprayed in just a small amount at the base of the vines, killed them completely, not to grow back again.

He had mentioned the stuff he gave us (can't remember the darn name of it) was only available to those with a commercial license - it's not available to rubes like me. The stuff worked better than anything I had ever tried, man I'd love to get some of that stuff again.

Mmmm wonder if it were 2,4,5-T. Dow chemical made it; when combined with 2,4-D at a 50/50 mix it would kill everything. They haven't made that stuff since the mid-80's though, due to the dioxin in there.

Mmmm wonder if it were 2,4,5-T. Dow chemical made it; when combined with 2,4-D at a 50/50 mix it would kill everything. They haven't made that stuff since the mid-80's though, due to the dioxin in there.

Could be. But it had a name that didn't include numbers. This was back about 1995-96. All I know is I've never seen anything kill blackberries like the stuff. Just a brief squirt at the base of the stems and it killed them completely within about a week - they would turn completely brown, dry, they would pretty much crumble in your hands. And, they would never grow back. I sure do miss that stuff.

245-T was known as Silvex. I have seen it in glass containers on shelves at estate sales, as well as DDT. Nasty stuff.

Back in the 95-96 there were chemicals known as Toradon and Garlon. They both flat smoked brushy woody materials with minimal amounts used. I used them in public and commercial grounds keeping applications. I have been out of that aspect of it for quite a while so do not really know what the current labels, brand names and AI's are anymore.

245-T was known as Silvex. I have seen it in glass containers on shelves at estate sales, as well as DDT. Nasty stuff.

Back in the 95-96 there were chemicals known as Toradon and Garlon. They both flat smoked brushy woody materials with minimal amounts used. I used them in public and commercial grounds keeping applications. I have been out of that aspect of it for quite a while so do not really know what the current labels, brand names and AI's are anymore.

That name Garlon rings a bell - that may have been it. No spraying needed, just a very small amount at the base of the stalks. In the bottle provided to me, it was just a 1/2 quart or so squeeze bottle. Color was kind of a brown/orange.

I did a quick search online - Garlon is available, even on Amazon. Kind of spendy, but if it's the same stuff, a little goes a long way, and it works.

Last Edited:
When you move those soils around you open up a seed bank that may have not seen the light of day for a hundred years and all of a sudden you have things growing you have never seem before. Seeds can lay dormant for a long time until they get enough warmth and air to germinate.
Yes - we had a bunch of foxglove after the logging, especially in the clear cut areas.

I just thinned, so I didn't get as much as not as much sunlight gets through, but a lot of brush is still growing up. I did cut back even more brush. If you keep the woody brush cut back it eventually dies - some of it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top