JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I am real new around here and I'm not sure where this goes. Let me know if I put it in the wrong place.

I have colt pistol with a lead fouled barrel. Really bad, I took it to a smith and he said he had never seen a .22 pistol with that much lead. A cleaning rod wouldn't go through it until he scraped some of it out.

Anyway, I need some advise on how to "get the lead out." :confused:

I did some looking around on the web and found out some information on an "electronic bore cleaning device" that I can make (a couple of batteries, a steel rod, some amonia, etc.).

Now for the advise. Will it work??? Will it remove the lead? Will it hurt the barrel. A ruined barrel without lead is not an improvement!!!

Or should I spend the rest of my life brushing it?

Thanks, Ed

Kano Kroil sold in auto parts and industrial supply type stores.

MidwayUSA sells it but it can be bought locally.

read the reviews at Midway.

I've used it and it works.

Im not sure ammonia is a good choice... sudsy ammonia (household ammonia)?

This is a 22 rimfire pistol, right?

Tilos

OK, I am real new around here and I'm not sure where this goes. Let me know if I put it in the wrong place.

I have colt pistol with a lead fouled barrel. Really bad, I took it to a smith and he said he had never seen a .22 pistol with that much lead. A cleaning rod wouldn't go through it until he scraped some of it out.

I did some looking around on the web and found out some information on an "electronic bore cleaning device" that I can make (a couple of batteries, a steel rod, some amonia, etc.).

Now for the advise. Will it work??? Will it remove the lead? Will it hurt the barrel. A ruined barrel without lead is not an improvement!!!

Thanks, Ed

yes they work fine just make sure to observe polarity.

Thanks, Ed

OK, built the Electronic Bore Cleaner. It is very important to get the batteries polarity correct (negative to steel rod; positive to barrel) and make sure the steel rod doesn't touch the barrel. Connected the contraption to the barrel and added the amonia. It bubbled and fumed.

But, I didn't know how long to keep it connected, so left it going for about 20 minutes. When I took the steel rod out it was it was covered with some sort of black goop. The barrel also had a bunch of black particles in. Cleaned it with a bore brush and it looks a lot better.

Anyone know how long the leave the bore cleaner operating? Can you leave it on too long?

Thanks, Ed

Lewis lead remover is a waste of money, a cheaper solution is to buy a copper scrubbing pad call Chore Boy. Cut a piece and wrap it around an old brush. A lot of the bullseye guys use this method. Unfortunately, this won't work for you since your leading is so bad that you can't even run a brush through it.

If you get lead build up on a regular basis and are serious about removing it, I suggest purchasing a Lewis Lead Remover kit. You can find them at Brownells here
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21587/Product/LEWIS_LEAD_REMOVER

~30 minutes on the electric bore cleaner, but that also depends on how much power you are supplying... Voltage & current. The higher the power, the less time.

The web page where you got the info should have stated how much time for their design.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top