JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
They haven't released the pilots names yet...
This explains the radio silence.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Germanwings Pilot Was Locked Out of Cockpit Before Crash in France

PARIS — As officials struggled Wednesday to explain why a jet with 150 people on board crashed in relatively clear skies, an investigator said evidence from a cockpit voice recorder indicated one pilot left the cockpit before the plane's descent and was unable to get back in.

A senior military official involved in the investigation described "very smooth, very cool" conversation between the pilots during the early part of the flight from Barcelona to Düsseldorf. Then the audio indicated that one of the pilots left the cockpit and could not re-enter.

"The guy outside is knocking lightly on the door and there is no answer," the investigator said. "And then he hits the door stronger and no answer. There is never an answer."

He said, "You can hear he is trying to smash the door down."

While the audio seemed to give some insight into the circumstances leading up to the Germanwings crash, it also left many questions unanswered.

"We don't know yet the reason why one of the guys went out," said the official, who requested anonymity because the investigation is continuing. "But what is sure is that at the very end of the flight, the other pilot is alone and does not open the door."

Continued.... http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/world/europe/germanwings-airbus-crash.html

A medical emergency of the remaining pilot would be an explanation of sorts, however, if there was such a thing why did he program the auto pilot for a decent? If there was a loss of pressure they would have known and it would be very loud I'd assume.

Yeah if there was some terrorist stuff happening they would be all too happy to take responsibility for it. A medical emergency would be more likely, but why would the auto-pilot send the plane down?

Something fishy for sure.
Just like the still missing flight from last year.

It's getting worse. Turns out the Airbus cockpit door has a keypad access. That keypad can be disabled from the cockpit by throwing a switch from NORMAL to the LOCKED position. The high time ex-Lufthansa pilot left and moments later the low time (700 hrs) co-pilot must have locked him out.

Yeah if there was some terrorist stuff happening they would be all too happy to take responsibility for it. A medical emergency would be more likely, but why would the auto-pilot send the plane down?

Something fishy for sure.
Just like the still missing flight from last year.

I'm not so sure about terrorist's not being responsible. It makes me wonder when the White House tells us that it wasn't terrorism ( http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/236744-white-house-no-sign-terrorism-led-to-plane-crash ) before the investigators have had time to investigate. When the White House tells us what it wasn't, I tend to believe the opposite; you know, like Benghazi was about a YouTube video, 99% of the weapons in the hands of the Mexican cartels come from the US, if you like your doctor, we respect the Second Amendment, but....., etc, etc, etc

Ray

The DailyMail claims (reports):

Killer co-pilot had to STOP his training because he was depressed and suffering 'burnout': First clues into why German deliberately flew plane into mountain after locking captain out of cockpit
  • Black box voice recorder reveals chilling final moments of Airbus A320
  • Co-pilot heard breathing calmly as he smashed jet into Alps at 400mph
  • Prosecutor: 'The intention was to destroy the plane. Death was instant'
  • Co-pilot was named today as 28-year-old German Andreas Günter Lubitz
  • Prosecutor says he does not believe disaster was suicide or terrorism
  • Lubitz stopped his training in 2008 after suffering depression and 'burnout'
By JAKE WALLIS SIMONS and DARREN BOYLE and ALLAN HALL and SIMON TOMLINSON and STEPHANIE LINNING FOR MAILONLINE and HARRIET SIME IN LONDON and PETER ALLEN IN PARIS FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 18:56 EST, 25 March 2015 | UPDATED: 11:15 EST, 26 March 2015

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Airbus-A320-Barcelonnette.html#ixzz3VVmwKizF

same article also mentions a similar occurrence in Nov 2003. Captain locks out co-pilot and crashes the plane. The possibility for this was not new.

"
The fate of the Germanwings plane has chilling similarities to that of LAM flight 470 which crashed in Namibia in November 2013, killing all 27 passengers and six crew.

Air crash investigators believe the Embraer 190 jet was flown into the ground by the captain after his co-pilot went to the toilet.

The jet's captain, Herminio dos Santos Fernandes was believed to have had serious personal problems at the time of his death.

When his co-pilot went to the toilet, flight data information recovered from the scene found that Fernandes manually changed the aircraft's altitude from 38,000 feet to almost 600 feet below ground level.

He also pushed the aircraft's throttles back to idle and selected the jet's maximum operating speed.

Distubringly, the cockpit voice recorder picked up the sound of the co-pilot pounding on the door in an attempt to regain access to the flight deck.

Need to have 3 pilots all with self defense skills.
Never leave a pilot alone.
I thought we had a policy that if a pilot had to leave the cockpit that a flight attendant would sit in with the other pilot?
Maybe i'm just making that up.

not too many airlines left that I would fly,guess it's driving, taking the train and bus now. why couldn't the guy just go home and quietly commit suicide in the garage with a running car engine. taking out 150 people just shows how deranged he was.

seriously, I think there's something wrong with germans

US airlines have that rule, not European ones. They will soon have them, I bet.

Additionally, the remaining pilot has to put on an oxygen mask until the other pilot returns to the flight deck. Supposed to anyway....does not always happen.

Government agencies are generally a pain in the azz, but the FAA has made domestic flying and international originating or terminating in the US pretty safe. I am not much of a traveler, but not going anywhere a US carrier cannot take me. TO get an idea of how many aircraft are in air at any time in this world try this site http://www.flightradar24.com/43.04,-122.38/8

Holt crap that scary.
I was listening to an interview with the old director of the NTSB and he was sying even with the big airliners that went down last year it was one of the safest in aviation history.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top