JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone ver got their German Shepherd trained. I'm not looking for $10,000 security training. More training with me and the dog. Nothing real expensive. I want him to sit and stay. Learn a few attack and be on alert moves.

Sit and stay are pretty easy, particularly with a young dog. That said, the dog either is or isn't "alert," it's not something you train for. Also, I've never heard of a GSD being trained to "attack." A good GSD will respond to a situation, and a protection trained dog has been trained to understand when and how strongly to react.

I had two protection trained GSDs (litter mates I've written about before) when I lived in SoCal. I was walking them one day around the wooded path that surrounds the Rose Bowl when one of them decided it needed to poop. As I was leaning over with my back to the trail cleaning up after the dog, two runners (one male one female) came up the path right running right at me while I was distracted. My male GSD leapt up, planted his front paws in the middle of the male runner's chest (he was in front), and then dropped back on all fours standing between me and the runners who of course stopped. No biting, no scratches, no growling, no further drama of any kind other than "stay back or I can do more." I of course apologized profusely, and when they were out of earshot, praised the dog no end. That's a protection trained GSD.

Here's "alert," no special training involved.

aEHa2p.jpg

Unfortunately, mine were trained in SoCal by a guy who's now retired. His training was very owner centric, as the dog derives confidence from the handler, so the owner needs to be involved from the outset. It's a pretty fascinating process.

Initially, particularly with a young (well bred) dog, they actually have to teach it that it's okay to act aggressively toward a human. To do this, the handler has the dog on a very short leash (attached to a very wide leather collar so the dog doesn't injure itself when lunging) and the (padded) decoy comes up and slaps the dog in the face with a roughly 2 foot long, 2 inch wide burlap tube. The decoy keeps it up until the dog gets angry enough to grab the tube from the decoy when most dogs will "kill" the tube on the ground.

A short brag – my current male GSD went through this very training, but when he got angry enough to grab the tube, he immediately spit it out and lunged at the decoy – he figured out where the real source of irritation was coming from. Wicked smart, that dog.

If you really want to pursue it, I'd check with local LEO departments that have K-9 units and find out where they get their dogs. Whoever is providing their K-9s probably also trains. Like so many things, prices and results vary a great deal, and the two aren't necessarily related.

Anyone ver got their German Shepherd trained. I'm not looking for $10,000 security training. More training with me and the dog. Nothing real expensive. I want him to sit and stay. Learn a few attack and be on alert moves.
the attack stuff comes with the dog no training required
But lets be real you don't want your GSD to be vicious or aggressive
when the time is right he will make you proud
go watch some you tube vids on commands very helpful

the attack stuff comes with the dog no training required
But lets be real you don't want your GSD to be vicious or aggressive
when the time is right he will make you proud
go watch some you tube vids on commands very helpful
So if some bad person comes on our property he will make his presence felt towards that person? How does he know who's bad or good?

not part of his pack
U momma and the kids are his property and he is a much better judge of charactor then us mortals
lets hope he is never tested

Sit and stay are pretty easy, particularly with a young dog. That said, the dog either is or isn't "alert," it's not something you train for. Also, I've never heard of a GSD being trained to "attack." A good GSD will respond to a situation, and a protection trained dog has been trained to understand when and how strongly to react.

I had two protection trained GSDs (litter mates I've written about before) when I lived in SoCal. I was walking them one day around the wooded path that surrounds the Rose Bowl when one of them decided it needed to poop. As I was leaning over with my back to the trail cleaning up after the dog, two runners (one male one female) came up the path right running right at me while I was distracted. My male GSD leapt up, planted his front paws in the middle of the male runner's chest (he was in front), and then dropped back on all fours standing between me and the runners who of course stopped. No biting, no scratches, no growling, no further drama of any kind other than "stay back or I can do more." I of course apologized profusely, and when they were out of earshot, praised the dog no end. That's a protection trained GSD.

Here's "alert," no special training involved.

View attachment 503792
Looks to me like you said WHO WANTS A COOKIE

Your kidding? They can tell who's bad guy better than human?
This must be your first GSD
I'm not trying to sound pompus but this Dog is so smart and so tuned into his pack
He knows who you like ie: friends that my come over from time to time
but if Alpha ie: you are not home he will act totally different towards that person built into the dog
no training required

I know you know about enzimes that are produced in humans ( when scared, or heart attack or other medical issues well they feel or smell it) I'm no expert
I'll make a perdiction you'll have another one in your Lifetime
I'm on my 5th GSD
We had a German Shepherd Dog day on the columbia River this summer I invited some friends who all have Gsd"s there were 8 Gsd's and one 5 month old Golden retriever our RUBY
everyone got along fine
It was and EPIC day for sure

DSCN1893.JPG DSCN1887.JPG DSCN1897.JPG DSCN1985.JPG DSCN2001.JPG DSCN2002.JPG DSCN2004.JPG

Last Edited:
Lol!! Yep it's my first. And I can take all the jabs you wanna give. It's my nature. I'm not sure I will ever have another dog of any other breed. I'm not looking for a weapon trust me. But you know when your packing your gun and you feel more solid? Well this dang dog makes me feel that way too. I'm very alpha. But I also have horses and know how alpha is good and patience is very good. He's very tuned into me. Watches me like a hawk! It's crazy!!!

well I'll say this everyone GSD I have ever had the privilege of caring for is just how you described it
they live 13 to 15 years of age it will Fing Break your heart when the day comes it's not just a DOG it's Family

the Pictures I sent are of Lincoln my 5th GSD and his play mate RUBY

JMO you really should get him a play mate

One of my best friends lives in Nampa
when you get to be my age you can count freinds on one hand
the kind of friend who will drop everything if you ask

I live next door to him. Caldwell.
And I know what you mean about friends. Trust me! They ain't dying yet though. There just isn't Sheeet for real friends anymore. Wives can cause issues. And other things to.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top