JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The DoJ report links the statistics of unequal enforcement targeting black folks with the hyper use of citations, fines, and fees to raise revenue for the city, rather than as a law enforcement tool - that's what makes the report damning.
As to using tickets and fines to raise general revenue, keeping low-income people trapped in a cycle of endless fees for what started out as minor infractions, this was also been documented by NPR in low-income white rural communities in Washington state. So it's a class issue - along with race.

That's simply because pretty much the ONLY whites in that area after 5pm were there to buy drugs...
...Cop watches and waits until the deal is done...makes stop...
...search black guy (just fresh cash in his pocket)....
...search white guy (contraband now in his pocket)...
...wonder where it came from???
My brother and I were stopped/ "profiled" by Cops as "whites in the wrong neighborhood" one time. We even got a warning to take a different route next time.
Yes he mentioned our race! That was probably 20 years ago in S. Carolina. They probably still profile but not as openly I'll bet!

If the parents sue and somehow win (evidence requirements are different in civil cases, so their little rascal's complete past will be open for discussion) ...
..,I wonder what $ value the "parents" will place on a lifetime potential loss of income from shoplifted cigars and lost welfare checks?

Quotes from the article:
"
But while racial bias informed the actions of the Ferguson Police Department, the chief driver was city coffers. In 2013, for example, fines and forfeitures accounted for 20 percent of Ferguson's $12.7 million operating budget. Or as the Justice Department writes, "City officials have consistently set maximizing revenue as the priority for Ferguson's law enforcement activity."

Officers weren't protecting citizens as much as they were corralling potential offenders and sources of revenue, with a huge assist from the city municipal court. "City and police leadership pressure officers to write citations, independent of any public safety need, and rely on citation productivity to fund the City budget. … Court staff are keenly aware that the City considers revenue generation to be the municipal court's primary purpose," the Justice Department writes. Officials imposed huge fines for minor violations, including a total of $1,000 for one 67-year-old woman who failed to pay a trash-removal citation, leading to a warrant and a cascade of new fees.

Once fined, residents have to pay in full—court clerks refuse to take partial payments. At the same time, failure to pay in time brings warrants and additional fines, creating a cycle of escalating tickets and fees. One woman, after failing to pay parking tickets following financial difficulties, including homelessness, was issued seven "failure to appear" offenses after missing court dates between 2007 and 2010. After each offense, she was loaded with more fees and additional arrest warrants: "As of December 2014, over seven years later, despite initially owing a $151 fine and having already paid $550, she still owed $541."

With that said, even if you pay your fines on time, it is difficult to resolve your case. "The rules and procedures of the court are difficult for the public to discern," writes the Justice Department. "It is often difficult for an individual who receives a municipal citation or summons in Ferguson to know how much is owed, where and how to pay the ticket, what the options for payment are, what rights the individual has, and what the consequences are for various actions or oversights."

Well, since all this started murder has gone up 20% in New York. Yes it all does tie together and look for crime in the big cities to go up.

How can that be, NY passed the S.A.F.E. act? That makes them all safer.

Ray

Again it's all in the name, the "affordable" care act isn't affordable and the "instant" check system isn't instant nor is a "gun free" zone free of guns so I doubt a "safe" act is going to make anyone safe.o_O You knew that but your just trying to stir the pot:s0140::s0121:

Quotes from the article:

One woman, after failing to pay parking tickets following financial difficulties, including homelessness, was issued seven "failure to appear" offenses after missing court dates between 2007 and 2010. After each offense, she was loaded with more fees and additional arrest warrants: "As of December 2014, over seven years later, despite initially owing a $151 fine and having already paid $550, she still owed $541."
QUOTE]

Should she have been let off of her many Parking Tickets because of her race or economic status?
Was the car racially profiled? (Insert tasteless pimped up Cadillac Joke here!):eek:

Look, Revenue to pay for inflated retirement benefits of Public Sector Union jobs is the Goal/priority of many P.D.s across the Country. It's no secret, it's not always racial and it sucks.
That's why I vote the way I do. I would guess the impoverished people of Ferguson Vote the opposite way.

Should she have been let off of her many Parking Tickets because of her race or economic status?
Was the car racially profiled? (Insert tasteless pimped up Cadillac Joke here!):eek:

Look, Revenue to pay for inflated retirement benefits of Public Sector Union jobs is the Goal/priority of many P.D.s across the Country. It's no secret, it's not always racial and it sucks.
That's why I vote the way I do. I would guess the impoverished people of Ferguson Vote the opposite way.

Again it's all in the name, the "affordable" care act isn't affordable and the "instant" check system isn't instant nor is a "gun free" zone free of guns so I doubt a "safe" act is going to make anyone safe.o_O You knew that but your just trying to stir the pot:s0140::s0121:

Well I never............(I can't find the feigned how dare you accuse me smilie).

Ray

The use of fines and fees to support a city's general fund, along with the impossibility of taking care of the original fees thru installments, is a way to place the tax burden on low income folks, black or white. When you vote for so-called 'tax cutters' this is what you get. Instead of the tax burden being established by elected officials in the light of day, you have tax collection via brute force. That seems to be ok because it doesn't affect well off people. Of course that tactic has led to revolutions, I seem to remember.

In the south they call them revenuers, they were seen as very dangerous as they were willing to kill you for tax money. Now days they just want to make you homeless and unable to feed a family.:D People don't tend to understand that when government spends trillions that money will be collected in taxes, fines and user fees.

I have an opinion I doubt many will agree with but after watching it all happen this is what I come up with. What's the difference? Go back to events before Furgustan and look at police behavior. How did they look when the media covered them at other events? Most of the time the cops look all queer for the gear and cover their faces with black mask. They make with a big show of force.

Bundy ranch was typical, bring in a show of force even when they didn't need to. Have the cops dress up like isis terrorist with mask and waving guns and threatening people. People stood up to that show of force.

Brown gets himself killed and the lies run through the community with the help of media that Brown had hands up when he was shot. Cops come out with show of force all dressed up in their queer for gear tactical uniforms,then they bring out the armor vehicles with ******* snipers on top. Did all that show of force stop the town from being burnt?

Wilson was not guilty of murder but was made so by the media and the cops own reactions to the public. It's easy to believe a cop will murder you if he is on a armored vehicle pointing a scoped rifle at you while wearing armor and a black mask. It's all what it looks like and that is the story the media will tell.

Question that needs to be asked is since the cops are not going to change their tactics where will it all lead to?

Good analysis, Jim . The cops should change their tactics. And the protesters should also change their tactics. Go after the enforcement as revenue enhancement angle, which is what has people fried frm Missouri to NYC. It would benefit many people. Including the police who are being used as fronts for cowardly politicians.

Good analysis, Jim . The cops should change their tactics. And the protesters should also change their tactics. Go after the enforcement as revenue enhancement angle, which is what has people fried frm Missouri to NYC. It would benefit many people. Including the police who are being used as fronts for cowardly politicians.

Yep, if you don't like the laws then go see the law makers. It's stupid to burn down your own neighbors when it's the politicians that cause the problems. Protest those that cause the problems if you want change.o_O

image.jpg
Hmmm

The minions must be subdued. The hard way. That is just the reality now.

Conveniently, Americans don't care at all. In fact, in the vain attempt to keep the debt train going forward forever (our Ponzi economy and living standard), people wholehearted support their slavery.

As ICE-T - gun lover and gun 'rights' advocate once said - "Freedom of speech? Just watch what you say."

http://nevergetbusted.com/hot-news/u-s-police-killing-first-world-police-forces-combined/

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top