JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One way to try and preserve our outdoor shooting areas. What do you think about the Forestry Service setting up "game cams" to catch these guys that are leaving trash and shooting up live trees in our shooting areas? I'm responsible and have nothing to hide. These areas are getting shut down behind our backs because of people that no one sees.

Seems like a good idea. In other areas, a lot of trash is left by non-shooters - the semi-permanent "campers", or locals who don't pay for garbage pickup. Need stiffer enforcement and penalties for that, as well.

I have a great 360 degree shooting range less than 6 minutes from my front door. I go 2 miles east on Sprague River Rd. and 2 miles north on a forestry access road to get there. It is wonderful and I treat it like my own property. On the trip I regularly see dumped trash and TV's. I also regularly see elk that are shot, stripped of their antlers and sometimes backstrap and left to rot. It's kind of disgusting.

Too many gov intrusion cameras everywhere already. Please, not out in the woods also. I vote no. What a drag it would be to go out to relax and shoot and then know some asshat is recording you.

I stand for FREEDOM. NO CAMERAS are needed if we would return to God's values and morals our country was founded upon. I'll be more than happy to pick up after people that don't care because for me it is what is right. Something else to think about. What is the first thing you do when you get to your favorite outdoor area? Nobody is around, your in the great outdoors. Think about those cameras and all those evil dumpers they catch. Then think about all the indecent public exposure tickets and fines they will mail to you because you went potty out in the woods. NO THANKS TO ANY CAMERAS FOR ME.
May God bless us all,
Mike

More then likely it will be a drone patrolling the forests in the near future.
They will say it will be for fire suppression, but watching your activities will be included.

I wonder why this was not done years ago, was it to do with privacy laws?
It nothing to do with privacy. The Forest Circus would never make the time or expense to do this. For one thing they do not have our interests in mind - just theirs. Also it is easier for them to 'Manage through Closure' which is their standard mode of operation.

I'd take game cameras over more locked gates.

All the logging road networks around my home town in Astoria OR and gated now.

Most of the roads in Snoqualmie Baker we used to camp on are now gated or tank trapped.

We're running out of deep woods you can drive into quickly.

It nothing to do with privacy. The Forest Circus would never make the time or expense to do this. For one thing they do not have our interests in mind - just theirs. Also it is easier for them to 'Manage through Closure' which is their standard mode of operation.
I'm guessing you're also not a fan of their new closure tactic called "get a map" where they provide a map with closures but do nothing in the forest to gate or otherwise indicate the road is closed.

I'm guessing you're also not a fan of their new closure tactic called "get a map"
Your right - I am NOT a fan of it and a couple years ago I spent nearly two hours in the Fort Rock District Office in Bend with a 'Forester' trying to understand it. What I learned is nothing is 'carved in stone', everything is subject to change, no two FS personnel answer your question the same, if you somewhere you shouldn't be, and really did not know, you will most likely just be warned the first time - and don't get caught there a second time. The bottom line? The FS is bureaucracy at it's greatest level of achievement. It is the antithesis of anything remotely resembling 'organization'.

I have no interest in Big Brother placing cameras.

I thought this thread was about citizens placing cameras, then doing something about it ourselves(though in hindsight, the OP clearly states "Forestry Service").

Why does everyone assume that anytime you want to do something, it means calling the "authorities"?

I take care of my own problems. I can handle a burglar or carjacker. I can and have handled street gangs. I can definitely handle a litterbug.

What disgusts me is that in my art of the world, there are people that apparently have the legal ability to dump all over the woods and shoot elk and deer for fun, leaving them where they fall. That they are allowed to do it based on the color of their skin is even more appalling. I wonder how many generations my people need to be here to be "native"?

None of this matters as long as people keep taking their arguments to the enemy. What part of any fed, state or county government is on the side of the taxpayer? The person that pays for the services seem to always be the bad guy. The ones taking them for free without contributing a lick are the victims.

Deschutes County already puts up cameras in the forest to catch fire starters and for other things. next time you are in the woods at a major 4 way stop on a forest road look around you might see one.

For everyone that said yes on game cameras. This is how we lost as many gun rights as we have you give a little because it seems right but it got abused and took more Rights. You should think long and hard before giving the government more power.
How long before you pay for parking at the shooting sites and the fee goes up so they can pay for the cameras that get destroyed.
What will you say when you have to pay $20 a day to go shooting out in the woods.?

you mean like Annual Northwest Forest Pass $30.00 they would never get away with that. lol
OR they will extend the requirement of the NWFP to include something like 'Antime a vehicle is parked, or stationary in the National Forest will require a NWFP properly displayed'

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top