JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
9th-floor-moved-15th.jpg

This may be too long for some of you to read. Oh well. Grin.

I do not have a picture of it but in my former township/county/state (My late husband's home state not mine but I lived there for a long time.) - I saw ANOTHER waste of tax dollar money on the side of the road. Pick a side - ditch or no ditch!

I lived in farm/lake country and on my own, narrow, rural road off of another so called 'main road' (LOL) and most of the corner ROAD SIGNS where the roads met and crossed didn't and some still don't even EXIST or they did not bother to replace them which would make SENSE but oh-no - they did the following... sigh.

The township or county put up signs ALL over on the 'main' road and a few on the side very, very rural roads that had a yellow background and a PICTURE OF A TRACTOR and the words read something like this (NOT verbatim.) underneath the black TRACTOR picture: This is farm country - Caution - Slow moving machinery or (?) tractors.

Like who would have THUNK IT (Grin.) that we or a visitor to our part of the world would not have realized that it was FARM COUNTRY and that there would be tractors and all other kinds of farm equipment?! Duh?! Can you spell stupid and call it a waste of tax dollar money while they did not replace actual ROAD signs with names on them?!

PLUS it was and is required to have the standard slow moving vehicle sign attached/on/clearly visible on ANY tractor or 'machinery' of any size while you are on a public road. A DRIVER is supposed to know these things and pay attention so they don't FLY BY and hit or pass someone on a narrow country road with DEEP DITCHES here and there! I know because we had a standard slow moving vehicle sign on an old 1942 Ford tractor that my late husband bought, fixed up, painted (Original blue paint color on it.) and put a blade on it.

We only owned one acre in the middle of farm land, woods not too far away, we did not farm for a living but he and I used to help some of his elderly family and some friends for FREE when it came to plowing/pushing snow because they were not physically capable of doing this. So that was a cold/windy/icy/snowy 2.5 mile ONE way trip into the tiny village from our own home. By the time, you helped someone out and did the 5 mile round trip to get home - your butt/body was frozen and TIRED even with that special cover thing that is supposed to help you in bitter weather. LOL

Plus we had it for our own driveway and when we built the house and moved dirt around. We had snow blowers, snow fences (LOL in blizzard country!), and a couple of smaller tractors over the years too. Lots of things and tools when you build and start out as a young couple with nothing but a piece of land that you bought and paid for and get a construction loan while doing TONS and tons of sweat equity in building.

When I drove the 1942 tractor I had to stand up from the seat sometimes and put my weight down hard on the clutch and brake to slow down and stop when he first got it. My late husband would yell out for me to give it some more @@@!

I learned to drive using a stick shift, had it MARKED on my first DL in Maryland, you had to take your driver's license test with one or the other but IF you drove a stick shift - you could drive either transmission. I drove all kinds of stick shifts on the floor and preferred a stick shift on the floor too. I took the test driving a Easy Method School 3 speed on the floor (Cougar?) and drove 4 speeds and, later on, 5 speeds. I and/or we always bought a stick shift car or stick shift pick up truck (Manual transmission.) except for two of the last vehicles before he died. We could not get a stick shift in what HE wanted for HIS last two vehicles. A SUV and a car in specific models and it was cheaper as a 'package deal'.

I no longer drive but I did enjoy that OLD tractor, all of my other tractors/lawn mowers, push mowers, every truck, every car and even the SUV while I made fun of those silly 'signs' on the road back there.

The Volunteer FD and EMT squad back there used to say, 'old route such and such' sometimes on the radio because some of the older guys did not immediately think of the new name when some roads changed 'names'. Plus they gave out people's names/their homes on the radio sometimes because we did NOT have 'house numbers' for several years out in the boonies - my township and others. Just the name of the road or Rural Route such and such and the road name after that. My late husband was on that department since he was out of high school. A break when he joined the military and back on it when he moved back to his old state.

What is it with BULLET HOLES in signs?! I don't understand that at all!

Cate

Last Edited:
No BS. Right before we kicked the door.

View attachment 562405

Dang! Oh my goodness!

I have got to show THIS entire thread to my husband when he gets up.

I like your quote on the bottom of your post. Signature line or whatever they call them. I have read it before and I really like it!

Quote:

"AMERICA: Designed by geniuses, protected by patriots, run by idiots."

Cate

I kid you not, we walked into a conference room at work and this was on the white board.

Was the previous group trying to solve the world problems, one "issue" at a time? (Note the topic in the upper right)

IMG950831.jpg

Taken today while fueling up in Baker City, Oregon.

This is when you know your career has hit rock bottom.....

IMG951277.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads