Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Front slide serrations & IWB leather holsters

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by juandelaselva, Apr 9, 2011.

1. juandelaselva

juandelaselva Boring Sandy Gresham Member

I have a semi-automatic with fairly aggressive serrations on the side of the front portion of the slide (Colt combat commander). Recently I purchased a new leather holster. Previously I have been a kydex or hybrid holster user.

The front serrations work like a cheese grater on the inside of the holster, and I am a bit concerned that the 'grater' will work it's way through some of the stitching as well.

Wondering if any of you out there have had this issue, and what, if anything, you did about it. For reference, the IWB is a milt sparks vm2. It is new, so it is 'tight' ... or, rather... TIGHT... and I mean TIGHT, but this is what should be expected from a new holster.

As an aside, I do not have this issue with a Kimber that has serrations on the front, so I am... I hate to admit this, and am fully prepared for the flames, but... I am actually thinking of having the combat commander modified (softened, or melted) to ease those front serrations. Yet, as you can see (read) I am struggling with messing with (bastardizing?) the Colt.

Thanks in advance.

- John

2. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be any stitching over the top of the slide.

It's a tool, if/when you wear it out then just replace it.

3. Oro

Oro Western WA Active Member

Yep, common complaint. A lot of people have been moving away from front slide serrations for non "gaming guns." They came about in the 80s to make up for the fact rear optical sight mounts covered the rear serrations. Then they had inevitable "creep" of the feature into all "tactical" models. I cannot tolerate them myself and got rid of all my guns with them.

Now, on to be helpful: One thing to have done is a "BHP" cut. This looks nice, really. It is sometimes done on older guns to hid bad pitting in the area. A machinist relieves the slide from the muzzle back, reducing the thickness and then blends it into the slide - so the front of the 1911 looks like the front of the BHP. It is attractive and will remove the serrations for you. Don't have a picture but if you are a 1911forum member, go look here:

1911 slides with BHP style end cuts. - 1911Forum

Good luck. But in all reality, no, it's never going to wear to the point of interfering with the holster. It's more all that leather shaving that comes out like sawdust that is annoying.

4. juandelaselva

juandelaselva Boring Sandy Gresham Member

Thanks Oro, that's some good & helpful information.