JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Note to self.

If I ever meet one of these two in person.

Tactically tactician slide back and forth several times, do a tacticool somersault while releasing slide on empty chamber. Flick wrist the empty mag so it goes 15 feet to the left. The dry fire nine to 100 times, only after performing a dozen or so press checks.
Get it on video. I could use some pointers. :D

I agree with the sentiment of take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. However, unless it is a collector's piece or something of sentimental value, I prefer to purchase my equipment overbuilt. If dropping the slide on an empty chamber is going to damage the gun, is that a gun I want to trust my life to? Similarly, if I take a gun out and fire 20 rounds through it, I don't feel it needs to be stripped and cleaned as soon as I get home. Now, if I've fired quite a few rounds through it and it's nice and dirty, sure, but do I really want to put my trust in a gun that can't handle being a little dirty? I'm not saying to purposely abuse your equipment, but it shouldn't be something you have to worry about handling delicately.

Its funny how old guns such as the 1911 were seen as guns meant to be dragged to hell and back but now seen as works of art you have to be careful with.

Not that I'm saying purposely tie it to the bumper of a truck then drive down a gravel road, but just weird how the view changed.

Well, coming from THE Bill Wilson? Of Wilson Combat? Looking over the price of some his those guns, they cost like art.

I just watched it. They made good points; pretty much all basic stuff I've known for decades. I also thought they came across as a bit condescending. Sometimes people just don't know or understand, and looking down your nose at them calling them stupid fools isn't terribly helpful. Then again I suppose it's easy to get really irritable when you see people over and over doing something that bugs you.

I was once in a shop and the proprietor was showing me a nice 1911 he was proud of. He told me to rack the slide to feel how smooth it was. I know better than to drop the slide empty on a nice gun so I didn't do that, but I did let the hammer down one handed like I've always done, by pulling it back, pulling the trigger, and letting the gun pivot in my hand (doesn't everyone do that?)

He got real irritated and jumped me pretty hard for that- "WHY do you all DO that!?!" He said it damages a good trigger. I honestly had no idea, so I apologized and left.

so what you are saying is JMB did not know how the design a gun right?
that the design is so bad that metal on metal and metal sliding on metal is so bad that you must treat them like a baby?
or they will be no good?
I guess the Germans who mad the MP40 or the brits who made the sten should have mad the guns
because you can fire thousands of round through them and they still work regardless of metal beating on metal and metal sliding on metal..

dam if I have a ftf or fte should I even rack the slide I mean it might fail cause metal on metal....

Last Edited:
that the design is so bad that metal on metal and metal sliding on metal is so bad that you must treat them like a baby?
or they will be no good?
I guess the Germans who mad the MP40 or the brits who made the sten should have mad the guns
because you can fire thousands of round through them and they still work regardless of metal beating on metal and metal sliding on metal..

dam if I have a ftf or fte should I even rack the slide I mean it might fail cause metal on metal....

My understanding is that it's more of an issue with finely tuned guns. Personally I don't see it as a big deal, but then again I don't own any really nice, expensive pistols.

When I was learning some basic gunsmithing long ago, one of the first things I was taught was never to flick a revolver cylinder (that's a big one), and to a lesser degree to avoid dropping a slide empty.

I don't think dropping a slide is nearly as damaging as flicking a cylinder, at least on my guns, but I wouldn't do it to someone else's gun, especially a really nice one. After having a gunsmith yell at me that one time, I don't particularly want to handle anyone else's finely tuned gun at all.

The expensive fine-tuned guns sure are nice, but I wouldn't want to go into combat with one. Give me a loose old Govt. Model any day for that.

We had a few friends over the other day and we put out canapés for them. Can you believe some people didn't use the toothpicks? They picked them up with their bare hands! OMG, I can't even. :eek:

:rolleyes:

I didn't watch the video either. If the BS about dropping the slide were real, 1911's would be breaking all the time, rather than being known worldwide for their durability and reliability.

or they will be no good?

Bah ha ha ha! Colonel Sanders and mister Bill are squirming like nightcrawlers with a 110v probe stuck in the ground.

Everyone knows you dont drop the slide on any gun on an empty chamber, flick a cylinder or drop a bullet in the chamber then drop the slide over it. And if they dont, they deserve to be corrected by some old guys.

Not everyone has a grumpy grandpa that taught them these things and it sure is nice for these guys to stand in.

News to me
Done it most of my life and can't recall any gun breaking
Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones

:oops:

The old man taught me that as a kid. That clunk you hear when it bottoms out on an empty chamber doesnt sound natural to me or seem right without a bullet slowing it down. YMMV.

I was taught the same thing long ago, so I've always avoided dropping the slide empty, but to be honest I've never worried about it much since I've seen it done so much. I have no idea what kind of damage it could do because I've never really seen any damage done by it.

Any gunsmiths here who have seen damage commonly done by this?

Reminds me of: Mommy, why do
you always cut the ends of the roast off before placing it in the pan? Go ask grandma...I learned it from her. Grandma, why does mommy cut the ends off the roast? I have no idea...I did it because my pan was too small :rolleyes:

I was taught the same thing long ago, so I've always avoided dropping the slide empty, but to be honest I've never worried about it much since I've seen it done so much. I have no idea what kind of damage it could do because I've never really seen any damage done by it.

Any gunsmiths here who have seen damage commonly done by this?
It caused the gun to crumble like a cookie dipped in milk then explode. :rolleyes:

I heard it might be bad for the trigger job, but everything else should be able to handle it. So don't do it to a tuned competition 1911? o_O

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top