JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reminds me of: Mommy, why do
you always cut the ends of the roast off before placing it in the pan? Go ask grandma...I learned it from her. Grandma, why does mommy cut the ends off the roast? I have no idea...I did it because my pan was too small :rolleyes:

I see it like shifting from reverse to drive or 1st without coming to a complete stop. Its not not going to grenade your transmission, but makes it's harder on it than necessary.

So let's ask @Velzey if he drops the slides on empty chambers of his own, and customers 1911s, and drops bolts on empty ARs? Maybe he's gonna say it's good for them? You know, like 200 rounds through a new Sig Sauer pistol to get it running without hick-ups?

That would be a no from me. I've seen so much dry fire damage....:(

So let's ask @Velzey if he drops the slides on empty chambers of his own, and customers 1911s, and drops bolts on empty ARs? Maybe he's gonna say it's good for them? You know, like 200 rounds through a new Sig Sauer pistol to get it running without hick-ups?

AKs don't see a lot of damage from it. Guess when its a rifle meant to be abused they design it to handle it.

Instead of writing a warning for those who wouldn't be able to read it anyways, just make it handle the abuse. :rolleyes:

they will be running a new series

Geriatric Gun Gurus

episode 1 - how to use your walker as a weapon

LOL

I use a cane on and off but NOT all of the time. A cane could be used if needed for some types of self defense.

I think that it would be an interesting show.

Old Lady Cate

Reminds me of: Mommy, why do
you always cut the ends of the roast off before placing it in the pan? Go ask grandma...I learned it from her. Grandma, why does mommy cut the ends off the roast? I have no idea...I did it because my pan was too small :rolleyes:

I've heard that one before and it is a funny story. I've sure seen people do habitual stuff before with just that mind set:
"Why do you do that the way you do?"
"I dunno, it's just whatchado, how I was taught." :)

For me, this isn't quite like that. It's not a mindless thing that I do (or more accurately don't do) but don't know why. It's a bit of caution I exercise even though it may not be necessary. It's pretty easy to get in the habit of avoiding it, and it doesn't bother me when other people do it, even to my guns. It's not that big a deal to me.

To me it's more like how I was taught to change my oil on my car every 3,000 miles. I do that to help my engine last longer. Do you really need to change it that often? Probably not, it depends on how you drive, where you drive, what you drive, what kind of oil you use, how dusty the roads are, etc.. I've been told that with modern cars and modern oils, 3k is usually overkill, so sometimes I let it go to 4k. I just tend to try to err on the side of caution when it comes to taking care of my stuff.

LOL

My late Mom used to say that there were 'starving people in China or some other country' when I was a kid in the 50's. I used to ask her if I could wrap up some food in my linen napkin and MAIL IT TO THEM.

Food did not get wasted in our home and it was healthy and delicious food.

Old Lady Cate

My mom always brought up the starving children in Africa. As for China, we prepared for invasion by the Yellow Peril. I practiced ambidexterity because adults told me (seriously) if you were tortured, they would start by cutting fingers off your "good" hand. Fortunately, that did help me later in life, shooting decently with either hand. Now if my dominant eye would switch as easily....

It's funny that the "starving children" thing makes so much sense to adults (or at least used to in previous generations, but no sense whatsoever to kids. I remember being told that by my mom when I was young, and being thoroughly confused by it. What did starving kids on the other side of the world have to do with me cleaning my plate?

Fun fact: In the Philippines they gather up leftover food from the dumps then clean it and cook it, which is then sold at a cheap price. Its called Pagpag. So in a way not cleaning your plate, in some context, would be feeding a starving child.

That's it.

All my firearms are getting put up so save the wear and tear on them. Time for a shadow box for every one as a display piece.

Some of the comments are comparing apples to roast beef.

The pre war Colt slides were showing wear and damage signs on both the breech face and muzzle end as the metal was overall too soft for its intended use...obviously Browning and Colt missed this.

The damage came about from the dust cover on the slide contacting the frame upon recoil, and the breech face being slammed against the barrel hood on an empty chamber.

In older Colts you'll see two-tone colored slides where they went back and did a hardening process on those areas, and some even received a breech face insert.

Given the issue with the breech face damage should give one to take pause and ponder such an action.

Next you have a finely tuned sear nose and hammer hook mating surfaces that are extremely different from standard GI parts mating surfaces. To keep those tuned mating surfaces long lasting, take Bill and Ken's advice.

Finally, which I'm glad they touched on...the 1911 extractor. It's one of two parts of the 1911 that fail the most...there other being the magazine.
As explained in the video, the 1911 was designed as a control feed system, was never meant for the extractor to snap over the case rim, but instead to slide under.

Just as ruining great trigger work, dropping the slide over an inserted round...or a bad magazine that allows the round to be push-fed into the chamber, will ruin the tension on an extractor in no time.

This is where I think Larry Vickers makes a valid point with his comparison of 1911s to Glocks..." If you treat your 1911 like your lawn mower, buy a Glock"

On the other hand, you can run a finely tuned 1911 into the dirt, and they will continue to run correctly...if you take care of them.

Screenshot_2018-02-08-17-06-33-1.png

Well now. I guess this ^^ pretty much ends the discussion. Hmmm?

If a person is using common sense, all the above, just makes sense. I'm not saying if a newb to guns drops the slide on my 1911 I would :eek: and admonish him. It would be more of a learning situation.

So, Cerberus explained why super expensive fancy pants 1911s should not have the slide dropped on an empty chamber. Which was fascinating and well explained.

But what about more durable and better designed guns like Glocks, M&Ps, H&Ks, etc? Many in this thread have stated that dropping the slide on ANY handgun is a bad idea, even though the "working" guns such as the Glocks and M&Ps have different designs with looser tolerances.

Not really seeing how when you fire a live round, and the slide goes back, extracts the spent case, then goes back forward and picks up another round, and slams closed again, ready for the the trigger to be pulled again is all that different from simply letting the slide go back forward on an empty chamber.

And most AR pistol caliber rifles don't have the last round bolt hold open feature, which is basically when the last round is fired, the bolt is allowed slam shut on an empty chamber. So if it is so damaging to the gun, then why is it part of the design on some ARs?

Just treat YOUR gun, how ever YOU want. No reason for YOU to take anything in this thread, from anyone, as being the last word and/or absolute truth. There! Is that better? ;)

I made it 2 minutes. So 1911's suck is what I'm taking from that. Not only is the round count "hideous", but these things are like gremlins and come with strict instructions lol.

I'll stick with my HK's.

I will say I was ignorant of the fact that they could/would be damaged by dropping the slide on an empty chamber. Just put up a sign that says not to do that and 98% of the people will respect it and leave learning why they shouldn't.

I didn't mumble it aloud, but in my mind I was saying, "pfft, FUDD's."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads