JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Winchester" Confronts the American Curse of Firearms

Excerpt of the filth below....

"It's when Eric prowls around, late at night, in parts of the house that he's told are off-limits, that the movie gets its one pure visual inspiration, one that's based in Mirren's gestural ingenuity: he spies on Sarah as she's doing some architectural drawing in a state of visionary ecstasy akin to automatic writing. That moment unlocks the film's sociopolitical inspiration: Sarah's connection with the spirits of the victims of Winchester firearms has a practical basis in documentary research. She keeps voluminous and ever-growing files of newspaper clippings about gun killings (though how she knows of the Winchester connection isn't made clear), and it's the spirits of those victims who are guiding her hand in the drawings. Under their counsel and command, she's reconstructing the rooms in which they were killed.

But of all these spirits, one is the angriest, the least reconciled, and the most violent: the spirit of a man named Benjamin Block (Eamon Farren), a Southerner whose two brothers, serving in the Confederate Army, were killed in the Civil War by Union soldiers armed with Winchester rifles. (The Spierigs also depict, briefly, other victims of Winchesters, including Native Americans and black people, one of whom is in chains—and these seemingly passive spirits are present only as silent sentinels of injustice.)

Benjamin's rage results in a high pitch of surrealistic doings that the Spierigs depict with a sly simplicity, which only the blaringly conventional score (by Peter Spierig) belies; when they depict the startling and the astonishing, they want it to be seen clearly. In "Winchester," the Spierigs have made a blunt and pissy American political film about the national curse of firearms and the unslaked, violent, destructive anger of the defeated Confederacy. It's good that "Winchester" is rated PG-13; for all its metaphysical and mythological fantasy, it's an educational film—a documentary refracted through the realm of the phantasmagoric."

My wife and I visited the Winchester house a decade or so ago. It's a regular carnival orgy of supernatural superstitions, perfect for the ghost hunter weirdo types. In fact, I'm pretty sure Ghost Hunters did an episode or 2 there. I don't think they found any validity to the claims.

Maybe it'll win a peace prize/

upload_2018-2-2_19-56-32.jpeg

Hmmmmmm the civil war ended in 1865 and Winchester was established in 1866 how did the civil war guy get killed by a Winchester

I'm sorry I been the the Winchester house in CA twice. And that little woman was bat poo poo crazy. How on earth anyone in their right mind would base anything on anything she said she thought, heard, or was told is beyond me. And weren't most of her action directed by some crazy mediums and con men?

And EPS is dead on the only Lever action rifles used in the civil war were Henrys (a completely different company then Winchester) and the Spencer repeating rifle. Nothing else even close to a 1866 Winchester was used in the Civil War.

It couldn't have been any of John Brownings designs that were possessed by this evil...
Hmmmmmm the civil war ended in 1865 and Winchester was established in 1866 how did the civil war guy get killed by a Winchester

And the part about them killing Native Americans...

1876. Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer, along with 267 soldiers and scouts under his command are killed near the Little Bighorn River. The troopers are mostly armed with single-shot carbines, while many of the Indians are armed with Winchester repeating rifles.

I read through the Winchester history, and I didn't see anything about Oliver Winchester selling soul, summoning demons or any such thing.
The Complete History of Winchester Repeating Arms

But when has History and facts ever got in the way of a good piece of propaganda.

Oh snap! they might be on to somthing...

1919. Winchester-branded consumer products including pocket knives, hand tools, flashlights, home appliances, roller skates and fishing reels are sold at Winchester stores and independent retailers.

Yes it said roller skates... EF52A1D3-60BF-4D38-B657-C9E1ED6197DA-2578-000004A134371EBA_tmp.jpg

An acquaintance was once going off about how he wished firearms had never been invented. Just imagine, he said, how much more safe and peaceful the world would be.

It blows me away that intelligent, educated people can so often hold such absurd beliefs. I replied something like "Absolutely. Totally agree. In fact, history tells us what a world without guns is like. Before those evil, demonic firearms were invented, this world was a veritable utopia. There was no crime, no wars, and human beings hadn't been slaughtering each other for millennia using swords, arrows, rocks, sticks, and fists!"

It's bizarre how many people see guns as some kind of mystical instrument indued with magical properties. Guns are just a tool, an extension of the user and nothing else. Violence and murder come from the depraved human heart, not an inanimate object.

And the same stupid folks who think the world would be so much better today have no clue how dangerous an English Longbow is in the hands of a true expert. Or Calvary Sabers. Or small swords. Hangers. Bowie knives. Pocket knives. Pen knives. Or a sharp pencil. Endless list.

Just the TV trailer for the movie CONFIRMS I WILL NOT see it. It looks incredibly stupid, completely NOT based in historical reality and I suspect anyone going to see it will be doing so for reasons other than the historical reference - but a few unsuspecting might.

And the same stupid folks who think the world would be so much better today have no clue how dangerous an English Longbow is in the hands of a true expert. Or Calvary Sabers. Or small swords. Hangers. Bowie knives. Pocket knives. Pen knives. Or a sharp pencil. Endless list.

And the Mongols beat the crap out of half a continent with ponies and short bows that they shot from the saddle.

I just watched the trailers... They look innocent enough, but they wouldn't put any content in the trailer to keep prospective viewers away. Once you buy the ticket you can walk out in disgust, or stay and join the collective...once they have your money they don't care either way.
Actually I'm kind of interested in finding out if it's all winchester rifles that are cursed, or just the ones in the collection inside the winchester house...
I can wait till it comes out on VHS or Betamax to find out though.

See, you guys just dont understand.. those mean o'l corn feds bought those Winchesters in the 1870s then found Doc Brown and used his time machine to go BACK to the civil war and kill all those innocents.

Sheesh..o_O

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads