JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We often here the term "freedom isn't free". It is almost always used in the context of military members who protect our freedoms. What's not as often recognized is that the common citizen plays a huge role in whether our freedoms are protected or not.

Freedom comes with risk. Just about every freedom we have from access to junk food to driving a car, can impact others. Occasionally the risk is taken on solely by the person enjoying the freedom. Most other times the risk can also impacts others, when things go bad. That is the price we collectively pay to have freedom.

One person's freedom is another person's apprehension. We have already legislated away a bunch of freedom so that others may feel less concerned about being impacted by those enjoying freedom. Many are happy with a high level of restrictions placed on their lives. A tiny minority including myself aren't. That tiny minority is shrinking by the day.

What I am trying to say is chip in your buck o' five and quit being.....

Sadly a LOT of people no longer want "freedom". What they want is to be "taken care of". Freedom of choice leads to people making really bad choices. So the solution for many is to say no one is responsible for the poor choices they make. So here comes law makers to say give up rights and we will take care of you and no longer hold you accountable for the stupid choice you make. Many love this trade off.

Sadly a LOT of people no longer want "freedom". What they want is to be "taken care of". Freedom of choice leads to people making really bad choices. So the solution for many is to say no one is responsible for the poor choices they make. So here comes law makers to say give up rights and we will take care of you and no longer hold you accountable for the stupid choice you make. Many love this trade off.
That is the truth and it is sad.

Edit: one of the biggest problems is people who support restricting a freedom that they don't partake in. Firearms is one those where people who have no intention of ever handling one, seem eager to restrict those who do. Same can be said for smoking and many other freedoms we have or had.

Last Edited:
America, bubblegum yeah!

freedom-costs-a-buckofive.jpg

Everthing you do , all the choices you make , have a consequence.
So while you are free to do as you wish....everything has a cost.

These consequences / costs vary from an immediate price to one that can crop up unexpectedly later in life.
Or anything in between.

As worth consdiering....
One person's Freedom may not be the same for another person.
The examples given in the OP , driving a car , smoking , eating junk food , don't strike me a "Freedoms"...
Choices yes , but freedoms , not so much.
The firearm example , I would agree is a Freedom.

( Granted , this was broached in the OP , I just disagree with most of the OP's examples )
Andy

Everthing you do , all the choices you make , have a consequence.
So while you are free to do as you wish....everything has a cost.

These consequences / costs vary from an immediate price to one that can crop up unexpectedly later in life.
Or anything in between.

As worth consdiering....
One person's Freedom may not be the same for another person.
The examples given in the OP , driving a car , smoking , eating junk food , don't strike me a "Freedoms"...
Choices yes , but freedoms , not so much.
The firearm example , I would agree is a Freedom.

( Granted , this was broached in the OP , I just disagree with most of the OP's examples )
Andy
In my mind I consider an unrestricted choice a freedom: "the absence of necessity, coercion, or constraint in choice or action"

If the government tells me I can't legally do something, my reaction would be that a freedom of choice is being constrained.

Edit: It could be said that one person's freedom is another person's choice:)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads