JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a pretty bubba'ed mauser action that have a pretty frosted bore. I tried to clean it and its still coming out dark after 50ish patches. So now I am considering rebarreling the thing either rebarrel it into 308 or get a new 8mm barrel. Since I don't have a lathe to square off the receiver and the bolt head. I think it would be best to have a professional do it instead. I called the five to six gunsmith google suggested near me and I don't think any of them can do it. So I am posting this to ask if anyone had done it before in the greater seattle/bellevue area? If so how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance

I have a .257 Roberts that spent at least one winter outside in eastern Oregon. it was in terrible shape when my father-in-law found it laying on a brush pile. I have cleaned it up to the best of my ability, had the metal work parkerized and refinished the stock. the bore has never looked very good on the rifle but it shoots acceptable groups.

.257 Roberts 004.JPG .257 Roberts 005.JPG .257 Roberts 006.JPG .257 Roberts 003.JPG

As you consider your costs, also consider the do it yourself part sans the lathe work.

I did it with an wall hanger GEW98 with a rotten bore that grouped like buckshot and it turned out better than I expected. Picked up an original "in the white stepped" 8mm barrel from SARCO, barrel vice and action wrench from eBay, forester go-no go gauges and a finish reamer. I had zero hiccups and it shoots.

Mauser 5.JPG
Mauser 10.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews