JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So there you are on a peaceful afternoon, sitting alone in your house, drinking your afternoon iced coffee, and all of a sudden you hear gunshots outside. You look out your window and you see the below scene...some idiot launching rounds at the local constabulary.

As luck would have it, you just finished cleaning your AR and it's got a full 30 rounder sitting in the Magwell.

Do you pop him?

Me: I think I would. If the street is reasonably clear, it looks like a pretty safe shot with the truck behind him and that he's lower than the building behind him.

Background Article:

Sadly I would be afraid to help as what are the LEO's to think when rounds start coming from my house? Most would of course shoot back at me since they have NO way to know I was trying to help. Now if some Cop was down, and scum was trying to walk up on them? I would try to take the scum out if I felt I could safely do so but, it would have to be a last resort situation.

Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, half breath out, squeeze…

From concealment inside the building. Aim for the ear hole. One shot. Drop rifle and hide. Call 911. Wait for commands.

Never get a ticket again.

No and here is why not. 9 minutes that will bring understanding.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
If you were to drop someone who is actively shooting at cops you will not have this problem. I'm with @pharmseller and would put one in his ear.

Gee, who owns the media? Hmmmm? Yup, it's a huge change.

Unless I KNEW for sure that the fella by the truck was not an undercover cop shooting at a bad guy, I would not shoot anyone or anybody. There are officers there on the scene who have current communication info and struggling and trying to sort out who is who, and as I would not have that: I'm out - unless I saw that guy by the truck aim directly at an officer in uniform in which case, I'm in.

Unless I KNEW for sure that the fella by the truck was not an undercover cop shooting at a bad guy, I would not shoot anyone or anybody. There are officers there on the scene who have current communication info and struggling and trying to sort out who is who, and as I would not have that: I'm out - unless I saw that guy by the truck aim directly at an officer in uniform in which case, I'm in.
This makes a lot of sense. I'd really hate to mess things up for them. I don't know much about their tactics and in any given situation there's probably a non-zero chance I put someone else in danger while trying to help. Most likely me, but just as bad if it's one of them. It would have to be a pretty specific situation. For example, if it's one LEO against one or more assailants and it looks bad for him/her, I very well might go at it if I thought it would be helpful. Not a likely scenario, I think. Of the limited SD practice that I do, this is not something that's going to make it into the rotation.

In the situation shown in the video, probably not.

If I'd been in North Hollywood on February 28, 1997, with a clear shot... I think I would have had to at least try.

1) Answer to the original question: Secure the house & deploy serious HD hardware for possible use. Avoid involvement if at all possible.

2) Avoiding shooting if possible has ALWAYS been the preferred option. If there is some other alternative that can be exercised safely that is the best way to go. If avoidance is not a feasible course of action then putting the threat on the trailer most rikki-tik becomes the only choice.

3) Even without Soros/Democrat AGs and DAs in the equation shooting the bad guy will be a massive PITA.

Knowing you had the skills and tools to act, and failing to do so, is something I'm not willing to live with.
I keep my weapons loaded with high quality BTHP ammo and replace the mag when I leave the range. So my answer to being overly concerned about the backstop is, the threat is my backstop!
Let me end this discussion with one question. If it was you taking incoming fire from the madman, would you want me to take the shot?
So You are either a man or woman of action or you choose to live in fear and regret. Are you a hero or do you run to the phone and be put on hold with 911?

What makes this case interesting is it appears now the original theft complaint appears to be unfounded. That would be impossible for anyone to know. So lets say you popped this guy and he was the victim of a wrong address or false claim....

I'm with Hackathorn on this one, its a sad reality, but society no longer wants to do the right thing society wants to do what motivates their politics. Recent case law demonstrates this.

What makes this case interesting is it appears now the original theft complaint appears to be unfounded. That would be impossible for anyone to know. So lets say you popped this guy and he was the victim of a wrong address or false claim....

I'm with Hackathorn on this one, its a sad reality, but society no longer wants to do the right thing society wants to do what motivates their politics. Recent case law demonstrates this.
Didn't click but wasn't the guy shooting at cops?
It doesn't really matter what he had for breakfast if that's the case.

Didn't click but wasn't the guy shooting at cops?
It doesn't really matter what he had for breakfast if that's the case.
In this case yes, but these days that doesnt matter if they had the wrong guy, then suddenly the cops are being charged or put on the witness protection program if they arent indicted. It might be "reasonable" if the cops killed the wrong guy, but would it be "reasonable" for a citizen to kill the same guy? Not certain you want what they had for breakfast these days....

In this case yes, but these days that doesnt matter if they had the wrong guy, then suddenly the cops are being charged or put on the witness protection program if they arent indicted. It might be "reasonable" if the cops killed the wrong guy, but would it be "reasonable" for a citizen to kill the same guy? Not certain you want what they had for breakfast these days....
Yea, you normally shoot to stop an action. You either do it or not, hence this thread I'd imagine.

Afraid anyone who answers this question affirmatively is setting themselves up to lose a court case should they ever find themselves involved in a shooting in the future.
Last thing anyone needs to do is tell the world what they'd do in a scenario where shooting is involved. Some lawyer's investigator is going to dig around the internet and find where you posted what you'd do and enter it as evidence against you!
Keep quiet, and hope you never are involved, but if you are you want have some internet trail telling the world what you'll do!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top