JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any body know of a store that sells water and food storage containers? My wife and I have looked online and have found some we like but the shipping is a crazy amount... $50 shipping on a $75 order..... We live in Olympia/Rochester area in WA. Thanks

looking for....

-5 to 15 gallon water containers
-6 gallon dry food containers

Probably your best bet would be a surplus shop, plastic jerry-style water jugs and mortar boxes or missile boxes would work for sealed storage. i use a mortar box for arrows with some foam in it. not the cheapest solution, but possibly the most modular and (most of the time) can't go wrong with military throw-aways.

I picked up several blue 7 gallon plastic (BPA free) water containers at 'WallyWorld" this summer. These are relatively square and include a spigot for the cap. I would say that they are medium to heavy duty. We picked up several for a "bug out" trailer that I put together.

They have a nice big cap that makes them easy to clean out. Not a bad idea if you need to collect and filter water too. They would be easily stack able, although there is nothing to keep them from sliding and stacking without some sort of anchor or bracing might lead to a Jenga endgame.

For food storage we picked up a few of the Costco vegetarian 250 meal buckets when they were on sale. 6 gallons of dried food. Shelf life 20 years. Those food grade buckets are available at many restaurants used. I am not sure what all comes in them, but I know the local burger joint sells the pickle buckets for $5. That might be a good option?

I'm not getting the whole food storage and water storage thing unless you guys are really afraid about NBC attacks or something?? :s0131: We don't live in the desert. Water is everywhere. Is this some religious thing or what? Heck, get a few cases of MRE's and when those are out switch to raccoons, deer, dogs, and squirrels, or park geese. Storing large amounts of food and water is a waste of time and money.

...We don't live in the desert. Water is everywhere.
:s0112: Some of Oregon is desert. My home is in the middle of that. While the Snake river is close, have you seen it lately?
I do have contingency plans for a power outage. The food supply may come in handy should my income cease.
The large quantity of water storage is more for expedition use in my case. Two weeks unsupported is a nice place to be.

I only like storage in the idea of long-distance travel, or for the sheer "i dont wanna lug 10 gallons of water every day when i can store hundreds of it weeks at a time." as far as food storage, weather happens. guys raiding fields happen. gotta have something stowed away for bad days.

:s0112: Some of Oregon is desert. My home is in the middle of that. While the Snake river is close, have you seen it lately?
I do have contingency plans for a power outage. The food supply may come in handy should my income cease.
The large quantity of water storage is more for expedition use in my case. Two weeks unsupported is a nice place to be.

Point well taken. Also in cities for bugging in and not exposing yourself to zombies when looking for water to purify could necessitate longer term storage.

Here's a list of symbols, denoting the type of plastic. I still prefer free buckets and lids from bakeries and restaurants.

Even if a plastic is rated as food grade, the issue is the releasing agent used to pop it out of the mold when the bucket is made.

One source for buckets (especially the more difficult to find 6 gallon buckets) is Emergency Essentials.

Buckets

I just put 10 in my cart (which gives a cost per bucket discount, too) and shipping is $9.

I'm not getting the whole food storage and water storage thing

You are correct. You don't get it.

Who needs food and water?

Stockpile beer and pepperoni, I think I get it!

I bought 2 of the blue 55 gallon barrels here locally in Sep 09. I Paid $25 each. A retired guy sells them just outside of Hillsboro. He had a whole farm of them, all clean and pretty.
Pm me for his info if anyone wants these.

In the event of a flood ALL unprotected water may become contaminated. You can filter and boil or you could have water stored in sealed containers. If you have a well do you have the means to get water without electricity? You can go a long time without food but only a few days without water

Point well taken. Also in cities for bugging in and not exposing yourself to zombies when looking for water to purify could necessitate longer term storage.

I live in Clackamas and store a decent amount of food. It's not a religous thing or a cult thing, I think as the economy has headed downhill, we have all decided to look at different ways of doing things. Having extra food is like having extra ammo, cash in a personal home safe, money in the bank, etc.

In the old days, if you didn't store food, you starved. Though this isn't the old days, it is a comforting feeling to know that if SHTF, whether it be weather related or some type of catastrophe, we could hold our own for a while.

I have twice been stranded at home for 5+days because of snow/ice. Since I began "prepping", I don't worry as much about the "what-ifs", we are prepared. Always improving, but prepared.

Back to the topic though, I am currently using the square buckets for sale at Bob's Red Mill here in Portland. I eventually will start using mylar and O2 absorbers for more longevity because the buckets I am using as not as air tight as I would like. At this point, there are lots of beans and peas and grains. I also have oils, canned goods(both store bought and home canned) and home dried fruits and veggies. The dried fruits right now are in the freezer.

I have picked up food grade storage containers from craigslist locally for no shipping cost and easy inspection. I currently see a guy selling 4 gallon food-grade buckets with lids for 50 cents each. I have previously bought 15 gallon food-grade barrels with large o-ringed lids for $7 each from a guy in SW Portland. By going with smaller containers, I can more easily move and handle them. I'm using a bunch of the 15-gallon containers for storing dry foods.

It helps to remember that most homes have about 54 gals. of fresh, sanitary water already stored.....It is important to capture (isolate) it in event of emergency....Most homes also have a 50 or so gallon utility (cleaning, toilet flushing or use to sanitize for consumption) water storage capacity...

See most folks are more prepared than they thought!!!!!

Now we just gotta get 'em to know it

W44

I have picked up food grade storage containers from craigslist locally for no shipping cost and easy inspection. I currently see a guy selling 4 gallon food-grade buckets with lids for 50 cents each. I have previously bought 15 gallon food-grade barrels with large o-ringed lids for $7 each from a guy in SW Portland. By going with smaller containers, I can more easily move and handle them. I'm using a bunch of the 15-gallon containers for storing dry foods.

Would you mind posting or PMing the contact info for the guy(s) selling the 4 and 15 gallon food grade buckets? Besides myself I believe others here would be grateful. :s0155:

SF-

Another storage option if you have at least a little prior warning is to use the big rubber maid storage bins (the rubber ones you store sweaters and such in). Just rinse these out with a bleach mix, fill with water, replace the lid and set aside in case you need it. In the chance of flooding you want to store these well above possible water level. At 18 gallons each a few would hold you for quite a while.

A couple of hundred gallons of water isn't going to last any time at all. You need a lot of it to reconstitute dried or dry foods (grains?) if you have any and you need lots to drink and you have to have some for some type of cleaning.

You must have a sustainable water supply. Bad news, but so true. At the very least set up now to collect all water from your roof and keep it collected. Stock up on bleach at Costco or Sam's and learn how much to use in your containers. Build a simple sand filter.

Without water every other part of the plan fails.

I agree,
My 450gal hottub is part of my storage method, but I am considering burying some 55 gal drums below my rain catches for additional reserves.

As for bleach, I prefer to have it in small 1gal. containers, easier to store/rotate, nothing can beat winco for that. I bet I have 8 or so gal. of bleach here.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top