JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm flying to Alaska to go deer hunting next week, and I'd like to take my suppressor along. A quick Googling shows that I should be able to throw the suppressor in the case with my rifle and check it, but I was wondering if anyone here on the forum has ever flown out of Portland with a suppressor? Did the TSA give you any trouble?

Last Edited:
I'm going to go ahead and get these two posts out of the way.....

First:

"You have to have additional paperwork and approval from the ATF to take your suppressor to another state."

Reply:

"You only have to have a Form 5320.20 for SBR's, SBS's, DD's and full autos. You don't need any special paperwork or approval to travel out of state with a suppressor or AOW'S."

Last Edited:
Locked box and an Unload firearm declaration is all you need.
We fly with MG's and Suppressors all the time to shoot's in different state's.
The M2's always get the weird look or the thumbs up from the TSA guy's.

Locked box and an Unload firearm declaration is all you need.
We fly with MG's and Suppressors all the time to shoot's in different state's.
The M2's always get the weird look or the thumbs up from the TSA guy's.

Great, thank you ! Do I need to list each individual firearm and SN on the declaration or is it just a generic "there's guns in here" form?

I have traveled across the country with suppressors, and they are "firearms," they have to be declared as such. That being said I would NOT leave a copy of the form 4 in the case, and if anyone asks to see it, ask for either their ATF badge, or a signed warrant. It is a private tax document, and I'm not showing to an airline monkey, or a TSA goon.

Have fun, and happy hunting!

Is it ever a good idea to walk up to a counter anywhere and say "I HAVE A GUN" o_O:). I obviously watched too much tv as a kid.. Happy flying!

I try to not use the word "gun" when talking about firearms in general, and especially in such circumstances. And I would not say "I have a gun", I would say "there is an unloaded firearm in that suitcase".

I haven't flown in over ten years, and quite a bit longer since I flew with a firearm in my luggage. But the airlines people who accept your baggage have experience with this. I imagine that they probably get at least a few firearms in luggage every day.

Interesting story. I spent Xmas at the family farm. This was just after 9/11. It was our last celebration there before we sold it so some people flew in from Seattle. I drove instead, but I was living near them. When it came time for them to leave others were helping them load a vehicle for a trip to the airport. I had brought my luggage downstairs because I was loading up my car too. I had a gun in my luggage.

They left and went to the airport before I loaded my car. I noticed my luggage was missing. I panicked. I called my brother who had taken them to the airport and explained what maybe happened. Sure enough, they had my luggage, and it had already been checked in.

After getting my call they asked a pilot who happened to be walking by what to do, and he said just say nothing and cross their fingers. So they did and nothing happened. Back then I am pretty sure they didn't xray any checked luggage - not sure if they do now.

I retrieved my luggage after I returned home - they lived about 30 miles from me.

Not suggesting that anybody ever do that, but it didn't give me a whole lot of confidence in airline security.

Ive never declared one while flying although I do declare the gun they will be used on. Ive even had the TSA guys pick it up and look at it and we had a discussion about silencers then they threw it back in the bag.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top