JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We're flying to Houston for Christmas next month. Wife, 8 year old, and me. What, if any, documentation / ID do I need for the kid? Wife and I have our state issued ID's, which should be good to get on the plane until next year, as we don't have Oregon's updated Real ID compliant cards yet.

We're not doing checked baggage, so only taking one carry on each plus a "personal item" - going to feel naked not being able to carry for a week, but Texas doesn't recognize Oregon's permit. I'm going to mail my pocket knife, multi-tool, and flash light to myself care of my dad, or maybe just buy some down there. We'll be down there for 8 days.

What else do I need to know? I haven't been on an air plane since 2002.

I just recently returned from Georgia, (SeaTac) carried a couple pistols so had to do the declaration of a firearm... not an issue, if you have ID your good to go... I did notice the absilute lack of security when I picked up my checked luggage, anyone could have picked it up and walked out with no TSA checking anything for ownership, both in Atlanta and Seattle...

We're flying to Houston for Christmas next month. Wife, 8 year old, and me. What, if any, documentation / ID do I need for the kid? Wife and I have our state issued ID's, which should be good to get on the plane until next year, as we don't have Oregon's updated Real ID compliant cards yet.

We're not doing checked baggage, so only taking one carry on each plus a "personal item" - going to feel naked not being able to carry for a week, but Texas doesn't recognize Oregon's permit. I'm going to mail my pocket knife, multi-tool, and flash light to myself care of my dad, or maybe just buy some down there. We'll be down there for 8 days.

What else do I need to know? I haven't been on an air plane since 2002.

See if you can get a Washington or Utah State CC permit before you leave and borrow a carry pistol from your Dad.

See if you can get a Washington or Utah State CC permit before you leave and borrow a carry pistol from your Dad.

I thought of that. IF I can get a permit in time, I may just ship a pistol to myself down there, probably just as cheap as checked baggage, as United wants $25+ per checked bag :eek:

My bigger concerns right now are actually getting onto the plane. I've never had to worry about others before, my adult airline experienced were flying by myself, before things got too crazy with airport "security" - do I need my kiddos birth certificate or some sort of ID for him, or is his word + mine good enough?

I thought of that. IF I can get a permit in time, I may just ship a pistol to myself down there, probably just as cheap as checked baggage, as United wants $25+ per checked bag :eek:

My bigger concerns right now are actually getting onto the plane. I've never had to worry about others before, my adult airline experienced were flying by myself, before things got too crazy with airport "security" - do I need my kiddos birth certificate or some sort of ID for him, or is his word + mine good enough?

This Spring my son's girlfriend who was 18 flew to Disneyland with only her school ID. Maybe get matching ID bracelets for the three of you in case you get separated.

I just flew for the first time in a great number of years and didn't notice any special rigamarole with kids. Be prepared to be treated like a refugee being shipped to a concentration camp. The days of flying being fun and glamorous are over.

FWIW, I bought shoes that would slide on and off easily, and that sure was a good move. I don't know if kids have to remove shoes, so you might want to check/think on how you are doing that part of it.

Per the TSA website.
TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling within the United States. Contact the airline for questions regarding specific ID requirements for travelers under 18.

1. Sorry you're flying United. I prefer Southwest into Hobby. Tickets may be more. But with baggage fees (Southwest 2 bags free per passenger), Southwest is usually cheaper.
2. Let me know how it goes shipping to yourself. I have never been able to get FedEx to do it to my home.
3. Last time I flew guns to IAH, I fetched them at the airline baggage office. YMMV.
4. I know nothing about flying with kids. My ex blocks every effort of mine to fly them to visit family or take them to Canada. I would suspect school ID would suffice.

Keep an eye on your kid. One year the TSA grabbed my daughter and started taking her to another area ... a friend had given her a model heart - the stand was metal and that concern them.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews