JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was just reading about an effort in Florida to allow citizens with firearms to possess them under and emergency evacuation order, and how that's being opposed by the Florida Sheriff's Association.
<broken link removed>

Does Washington or Oregon have any laws similar to Florida's? I don't recall knowing about anything like it, but I'd rather not find out the hard way.

We were evacuated from our place during the '96 floods.
A state cop stopped by as we were loading the trunk of the car. He saw guns there and asked about them.
I told him they would be safer where we were going than being left in an unattended house.

He agreed with me.

My memory fails but I think this was added to SB401 a year or two ago, after the Katrina seizures uproar. But I could be wrong.
401.198 Seizure of firearms during emergency. (1) As used in this section, "unit of government" means any department or agency of the federal government and any public body as defined by ORS 174.109.

(2) Notwithstanding ORS 401.165 to 401.236, a unit of government may not seize a firearm from an individual who lawfully possesses the firearm during a state of emergency declared under ORS 401.165.

(3) If a unit of government seizes a firearm from an individual during a state of emergency in violation of this section, the individual may recover from the unit of government that seized the firearm all costs incurred in the recovery of the firearm, including attorney fees, court costs and any other costs incurred in the recovery of the firearm. [Formerly 401.039]

Also, a bit more browsing found me:
Note: Federal Law can apply if the state is receiving monetary and/or other assistance from the Federal Government. See US Code 42-5207 for Federal Law as it applies to States of Emergencies. The state quoted code may also not be all of the law on Emergency Powers held by the state. You should read the entire code on Emergency Powers etc for this state by following the link to the state code.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oregon.pdf

Last Edited:
to allow citizens with firearms to possess them under and emergency evacuation order
I take it under CURRENT Florida law one can NOT possess firearms during an 'Emergency Activation Order'. That being the case what other rights are taken away by this 'Order'?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top