JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I wanted to do two things gun related today and couldn't do either. While shopping I was looking for some Flitz metal polish to polish the interfacing parts on my Mosin's bolt. I looked at Fred Meyer, Wilco, O'Riley's, Fisherman's Marine and Bi-Mart and couldn't find it anywhere. I've seen Flitz recommended a few places and wanted to give it a try. I have some Brasso around and used it to do polish up the trigger on my Glock and I wasn't too happy with the results. Going to go back out tomorrow and try a few more places, but want to know if there are any suggestions for alternatives? I found some Simichrome polish at Fisherman's Marine and Bi-Mart had a Mother Mag and aluminum polish. I want to get something I know is going to work.

Oh, and the other thing was slug the Mosin barrel to check the bore diameter and I bought everything to do that, unfortunately the dowel I bought I left at Fred Meyer. Didn't realize it until I as home and it wasn't worth the 20 mile round trip to go back and see if it was still there. It would cost more in gas then to buy one locally.

Seriously, I had the same issue...couldn't find it anywhere. Guess where I found it!?! ***Ace Hardware***

LOL Ace is the place!!

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing it when I picked up the Brasso last year. I've moved since then so no Ace locally anymore, but could be worth a trip. Wife won't have a problem with it, I'll use the cover story of wanting to go for sushi!

Thanks for the suggestions all, I tried the local hardware store today and they had Flitz. Worked on the Mosin bolt for a few hours and ended up with a nice smooth mirror shine on much of the interfacing parts.

I used the Mother's polish you mentioned and wasn't too impressed with it. It really didn't do anything to remove any machining marks, which was my main goal. I don't imagine it could do any worse than Brasso though.

I'm going to run down and check ACE on 122nd. If they have it, I'll report back.

I used the Mother's polish you mentioned and wasn't too impressed with it. It really didn't do anything to remove any machining marks, which was my main goal. I don't imagine it could do any worse than Brasso though.

I'm going to run down and check ACE on 122nd. If they have it, I'll report back.

How on earth could a polish remove machining marks. To remove something like that the surrounding material surface level has to be reduced to the level of the bottom of the scratches/marks. If your rubbing polish over the marks you are also cutting into the bottom of the mrak/scratch itself. Polishes are the very last step after a near mirror polish surface is attained. All polishes do is remove surface oxidation and blur the microscopic scratches left by the last abrasive used.

I spent 14 years as a Self employed Custom Knifemaker (member of the Knifemakers Guild) so I have some idea what I am talking about.

I have both Flitz "2 pound can" and Mothers, neither one will remove machining marks! it's a polish not an aggressive grit that is why I use them to polish feed ramps, but like the feed ramps you want to use 600 grit to "blend" machine marks, maybe graduate 1500 then use a rouge on a felt tipped Dremel and buff with a Dremel "ONLY WITH ROUGE" then do a final polish with Mothers or Flitz or semi Chrome...
Flitz can also be had on Amazon if you do much work on guns with the price of gas and Flitz in the toothpaste type of tubes just order a bulk amount and have it for life, but honestly Walmart has a good price on Mothers and I had excellent results with it... I polished my 1911 feedramp like chrome using the same method.

I don't hit the polish until I have finished with 2,000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Then it's jeweler's rough on a rag wheel or a bob on a dremel tool.

If it isn't smooth to start with, all you'll have is shiny pits and grooves.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top