JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have a flip to side magnifier to go with their red dot? How do you like it? I've considered getting one, but then again I wonder if I'm not just better off getting a scope. Or just get all?:D

The dot with magnifier seems to give you a the speed of the red dot for close range, along with an advantage on longer range targets.

Then again, the scope although much worse at close quarters, would be much better at long ranges, but I imagine those are much less likely to happen than an up close situation. Still nice to have that capability, in which case a magnifier might be the best bet to bridge the gap?

I have one on my Kriss (eotech red dot and magnifier combo) and another made by primary arms. I think if you have a pistol caliber rifle or rifle you are setting up for <300 yards it is a nice combo.

But I also have a Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 1.5-4x20mm. So you can get scopes that have none to minimal amplification on the low end that will do the same thing and be less expensive and more compact and less heavy than the red dot/ magnifier combo.

What @bolus said, plus many low mag scopes have illuminated reticle capabilities.

Red dots in front of magnification can get rather large and may block small targets at distance.

Very interesting point about the dot blocking targets when magnified. I wonder though, wouldn't the magnification itself negate this though? Sure the dot is magnified, but so is the target, so it should balance out, no? Maybe since the target is further than the dot it skews the dot in relation to the target so that it does in fact block the target. Interesting...

Very interesting point about the dot blocking targets when magnified. I wonder though, wouldn't the magnification itself negate this though? Sure the dot is magnified, but so is the target, so it should balance out, no? Maybe since the target is further than the dot it skews the dot in relation to the target so that it does in fact block the target. Interesting...
Yes they will both magnify, but for instance a 2moa dot will be 6" at 100 yards, a smaller varmint will still be largely covered by the dot, especially on partial exposed targets.

it isnt an issue at short distances though. that's why you want to decide if it is for a rifle for short distances. Here is what the eotech looks like at 100 yars

Reticles_1x-3x.jpg

I had a sweet 4X ACOG that was scary effective but the eye relief was such that the scope bumped your glasses with the recoil. I decided to try the new MRO with the aimpoint 3X magnifier and I like the combination a lot.

?temp_hash=d6b55e4f0bc1d0b9bf6ff7696b7547ab.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've actually toyed with doing this myself a few times. But I've stuck to either a red dot OR a scope as I was worried, like others, of the dot getting magnified and covering smaller targets.

Geez, I have a Weaver 1-4x that cost next to nothing. I bought it for a shotgun, where it served very well, but I tried it on an AR and was really surprised. It's a little slower than my EOTech and my Aimpoint, but with a little practice, not by much. It cost way less than either component you're considering. If you need to spend more than $100 ;) I'd take a serious look at that Leupold Mark AR. Or just step up and get an ACOG. I definitely like my ACOG the best. It's very fast down to maybe 10 yards, and anything closer than that I can point shoot just fine.

If the bulk of your shooting is going to be done at close quarters, it's no contest. Red dot all the way. And the smaller and lighter the better.

I have Aimpoints and a SWFA 1x6 that I can swap back and forth depending on my needs. It is nice to have options. My favorite, however, and the optic that predominantly lives on my rifle is the Aimpoint T2 micro for it's light weight, low profile (compared to a magnified scope), and super fast target acquisition. For a general purpose rifle it meets 95% of my needs.

The SWFA is great scope at its price point. It is heavy though which is something a lot of people don't consider when they're trying to pick an optic. Keep in mind this probably isn't a question of which one to get...it's a question of which one to get first. Ultimately you will probably want a red dot and a magnified optic of some kind. So get the red dot now and save up for the other one to get at a later date.

With red dots, and again, I would go for the smallest, lightest one you can find. I would also choose the smallest MOA dot you can find. The small dot will be just a bit better if/when you try to stretch the use of the optic at distances.

I had a flip to the side on my AR with an Eotech and I found that when it was flipped it kind of got in the way and it added a fare amount of weight. I changed it to a quick detach and I like that a lot better.

Anyone has a flip to side magnifier to go with their red dot? How do you like it? I've considered getting one, but then again I wonder if I'm not just better off getting a scope. Or just get all?:D

The dot with magnifier seems to give you a speed of the red dot for close range, along with an advantage on longer range targets.

Then again, the scope although much worse at close quarters, would be much better at long ranges, but I imagine those are much less likely to happen than an up close situation. Still nice to have that capability, in which case a magnifier might be the best bet to bridge the gap?

The 1-4 or 1-6 with a dot and cat tail is the way to go. I bought into the magnifier with flip to side mount when they first came out even bought the overpriced Aimpoint magnifier which was the only option other than the German po boy 2.5x . This was my worst gun accessory buy ever I paid almost $500 for it what was I thinking or drinking at that time I ended up loosing a couple hundred when I traded it as I did not like it at all .

They are bulky and unless you pay around $150 for a Larue mount the flip to side mounts are flimsy and can break or if they are really cheap mounts the get wobbly the eye relief is generally poor and off to the side, they are still in the way. It looks cool if you are a poser and you want to impress the kids with that wow look what my gun can do. They were an instant dinosaur with the invent of the first true 1-4 red dot scope.

The only good thing a magnifier can do is you already have rifles with dedicated red dots on them and you can't afford to go buying 1-4 or a 1-6 (they even have a 1-8 now) is to have one and a cheap one can be purchased for under $100 with a plan old scope ring . I use it to zero red dots as I can magnify my target to get a pin point zero then I remove it sits in the box pretty much all the time once zeroed I really don't need it anymore it's just a tool to make zeroing easier . The budget magnifiers really are only good for that purpose. the mid range like the $150 magnifiers is almost as good as the $500 Aimpoint's I am sure they don't cost that much anymore or I at least hope they don't.

Last Edited:
An accessory I've long wished somebody would make is a rail-mounted "slider table" with two sides that consistently zero--two parallel rails on top so you can mount your red-dot/ACOG/CQB optic on one side and your scope/ranged-work optic on the other, and when you need to switch optics you just release a latch, push the table to the opposite side and it locks into position and you're ready to re-engage.

They do have those offset mounts that Daniel defense makes someone can put a regular magnified scope on the top base and put a red dot at I think it is at 45 degrees so you just tilt the rifle a little for CQ to look through the red dot. It's very effective for those who like to have the CQ ability most of my shooting is 100-200 so I prefer a 3x9 but I do have the offset mount with a red dot just in case.

I have a un-mag red dot. Very quick at close range, of course. But, I can still hit 10in round steel plates at 300 yards. Man-sized silhouettes are easy and still pretty quick at 300. That's all I'll ever need.

It's always been irritating to me, the cost of 1x4 optics with a red dot or illuminated reticle. Maybe they have come down; I haven't looked in a while.

Putting a red dot on a side mount and a scope on top is not so good either, just too much gear on the gun and inconsistent/nonexistent cheek weld and so forth.

I guess red dots are better to the rear of the rail, which leaves little room for a magnifier.

Scout scopes are not too bad, I guess there are even variables now, but how rigid is a scope mounted to the hand guard?

Probably the best option is to just have two guns. :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top