Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Fishing lakes@Mt Hood area.

Discussion in 'Northwest Fishing' started by djaziatic, May 20, 2014.

1. djaziatic

djaziatic Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Anyone know where to find updates or have any updates on the road conditions up at the lakes near Mt Hood? Very much interested in Frog Lake, Clear Lake, and Rock Creek. Thanks

2. Twodogs

Twodogs portland Or Active Member

The roads are clear.

3. BaggerRyder

BaggerRyder The Couv Active Member

4. 44mag2ndamend

44mag2ndamend Round the ole tree stump, Down by the crick Well-Known Member

Buy some maps and go exploring. The best places I have fished, I did not catch anything but the scenery and experience was fantastic.

Then you will find a place that has the seclusion also with catching some fish that are natural and eat great!

5. Aka47

Aka47 Portland Oregon Member

Clear lake is awesome. Had a good luck last year, haven't got a chance to go this year yeat. Have fun fishing!

6. djaziatic

Thanks for the updates! And yes I love Clear Lake, it's my favorite camping lake.

Aka47 likes this.
  7. TJdamon

TJdamon Gladstone Member

Badger Lake is another awesome small lake but the road is pretty rough, Nice float tube lake.

8. djaziatic

Ah yes, Badger lake, I have been there a few times, the road is pretty rough, but the lake is nice and secluded.

9. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Just whatever you do, remember.....If you do go looking for that perfect little brook trout lake up in the high Cascades, for hell's sake remember to take insect repellent! I recall a time many years ago, wait, TWO times........One was a summer trip to Olallie Lake camp groung. Cooking on the Coleman Stove and seeing the mosquitoes between me and the food. And the other time was getting out of the car for a 1/4 mile hike to some lake and the deer flies were on us in the first 10 yards. We jumped back in the car and came back to the city, where it was safe!

Mike

Rocky C likes this.
  10. Rocky C

Rocky C Portland Metro Active Member

Look at the OFDW website for schedule of fish plantings.

11. Aka47

Aka47 Portland Oregon Member

North Fork Resorver Estacade.. Went out today and had a blast fishing! Caught a limit with my bro . :D

12. CParkerShoot

CParkerShoot Mt. Hood Parkdale, Oregon New Member

...just camped at Timothy Lake, started raining yesterday, and fishing was slow with full moon phase, crayfish fishing was a boom though!

Aka47 and Rocky C like this.
  13. djaziatic

Any update on road conditions going into Mt hood lakes? Frog Lake, clear lake, rock creek? Thanks.

14. TJdamon

TJdamon Gladstone Member

Getting to Rock Creek resevoir is clear from hwy 26 via rd 43, rd 48 was still blocked by snow at hwy 35

15. djaziatic

Thanks appreciate it. Went up to frog Lake yesterday, road is closed to vehicles, have to hike in, went to trillium lake instead.

16. Mikej

How about Clear Lake? It used to have some nice Brookies. And I've been up there right after the planting truck went in, and they go in even if they've got to chug through some snow. Couple of years ago we barely made it in our CR-v and the planting truck was down there already!

17. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Try looking at Kinnikinnic (Laurance Lake Reservoir) near Parkdale.

No motors or live bait allowed, but that just makes for a more peaceful and challenging fishing.

djaziatic likes this.
  18. djaziatic

I should have checked clear lake but the section I usually fish I need a larger vehicle. I was only driving my gas saver that say. But I'm not sure if clear lakes roads are clear or not. Frog Lake roads still had snow on it so yeah clear lake may have some as well.

19. djaziatic

Also I haven't seen Brooks in clear lake for years. I do know they stock a lot of kokanees in there now.

20. Mikej

That's a shame....Been years since we camped or went up for the day with a boat to fish. Never kept/wanted anything but the brookies. Very good eating and beautiful fish. The only way I could eat those pellet heads was, you know when you're camping, everything tastes better? Well, eating those planter rainbow was only good while we were camping, IF we had to!

Any size to the Kokanee? If they work as well in Clear as they did in Timothy, well, Woop-De-Do.

I guess Oregon is getting what it wants "No non-native species". The small creek flowing out of the lake used to be loaded with small brookies, with no limit to size and number. I've eaten a few of those little ones in the past. They still had red, tasty meat.

salmonriverjohn likes this.