JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It would appear that there are just too many a$$holes in the world and some of them hunt an fish.. Mother nature needs to weed them out ! Before they create more hate and discontent in the world . life is too short to
put up with AH !

Usually the fun starts at the boat launch. Where else would you take your overweight, rude, inconsiderate family to play? Yes! That gently sloping water that's full of fish hooks and whirling propellors of death! And make sure you act indignant kids when the nice man with the $40k boat is trying to get his wife (who had suddenly gone deaf and mute) to not crash his dream into the side of launch slip. Ignore the fact there are dedicated public areas where you could float around in your ring (oops, my bad, that's your gut) and call your wife foul names.

Sigh,,,rant over. For now.

Usually the fun starts at the boat launch. Where else would you take your overweight, rude, inconsiderate family to play? Yes! That gently sloping water that's full of fish hooks and whirling propellors of death! And make sure you act indignant kids when the nice man with the $40k boat is trying to get his wife (who had suddenly gone deaf and mute) to not crash his dream into the side of launch slip. Ignore the fact there are dedicated public areas where you could float around in your ring (oops, my bad, that's your gut) and call your wife foul names.

Sigh,,,rant over. For now.

+10 - Boat launches drive me nuts.

My favorite (this happens every year during fall salmon, winter steelhead season) your just pulling to the launch in your truck, and you see roughly five elderly gentlemen plunking at the bottom end of the launch. You begin to back the boat down and they get indignant and at a snails pace move their gear from the middle of the launch. Once you have the boat in the water they start bubbleguming about the boat launch "being the only place to plunk" and that there are "too many damn boats on this river". If your unlucky enough to be a guide then the inevitable "too many guides on this river", or "all those guides are pricks" topic comes up.
When you move your truck up to the parking area, you come back to your boat to find that someone accidentally spit on your gear, or there is a mysterious liquid rolling around the bottom of your boat that you think is used Hamms Beer. After thumbing a ride (because some tweeker stole the moped you had chained up at the lower takeout) you arrive back to the boat launch to find spit, dog crap, and more recycled beer on your windshield.

Ah yes. Boat Launches. My favorite is the guy that backs his rig straight down the middle of a ramp that is plenty big enough to launch two boats from side to side. Saw a bunch of guys do this at Clinton Lake in MO. They were already pretty beered up. Guy backs his rig right down the middle of the ramp and the guy in the boat backs it off the trailer at which point the drunk behind the wheel of the truck guns it up the ramp. One tiny problem. He forgot to unhook the boat from the winch line on the trailer. Dragged his boat all the way of the concrete ramp destroying the lower unit and a good portion of the hull. I laughed so hard I almost peed myself.

I had this just happen to me last saturday I was fishing the Stillaguamish river here in snohomish county (for pinks and coho) me and a good buddy of mine were having a grand time as were alot of our fellow anglers on the river. That was until a group of gentleman showed up. Im 22 years old and my buddy is 23, we were fishing with a logger buddy of mine and his son. My friend landed a 14 lb coho and then nex thing you know im nearly shoulder to shoulder with the lad. It really irritated me, its like if someone sees you catch something it makes that the only spot that has fish in the river. Granited we were fishing this "slot" for a reason and had scouted it out as a place that could hold success. Hense why I feel hunting is just like fishing you gotta spend your time on the river to find the spots to fish dont rob it from someone wait till it empty if there was fish there once the fish will be there again unless river conditions change the slot. Thats just me I dont fish much but i dont like jacka%#es ruining it especially if there are little ones spending time with dad.

I'm glad you guys covered the base's. Teaching my kids how fish for Salmon at Bandon to the boat docks. And lets not forget those who dredge for your line while you are trolling off the coast. That's trolling past the back of your boat at less the 100 feet and yell at you for messing up their troll.
I'm still foarming at the mouth and haven't fished in years.

I refuse to deal with it.

Pack the kids in the Cessna seaplane and fly them to a lake in British Columbia. Always pick an area where there are no roads.

Probably a good idea. All my best fishing experiences growing up were on remote B.C. lakes. Harder to get to these days but if you can afford a seaplane then you should get good results.

the one thing i hate when fishing is when some asks if im 420 freindly and asks if i smoke no i dont then they pull out theyre pipe and smoke and ask if i want some not everyone likes smoking weed nice to offer but every where i go fishing i end up running into someone idk if its becuase im a people person and enjoy talking and dont mind people fishing next to me or what but it gets pretty annoying

Precisely the reason I also carry when I fish...but also the reason I fly fish. If someone gets too close they will get a hook in the neck. Can't argue that now!!! There is an etiquette that should be followed. In my experience in Oregon it flies out the window more often than not.

Open carry will save a lot of hassles from ignorant jerks that think they'll never run into you again ot that you will not have the balls to talk back. One look at a sidearm usually does the trick. I boat fish and have had issues with jerks cutting across so close behind you when trolling that they tangle lines in their motor. I have been tempted put a small hole just below their waterline and troll away happy...guess I am just to nice a guy.(sigh)

Open carry will save a lot of hassles from ignorant jerks that think they'll never run into you again ot that you will not have the balls to talk back. One look at a sidearm usually does the trick. I boat fish and have had issues with jerks cutting across so close behind you when trolling that they tangle lines in their motor. I have been tempted put a small hole just below their waterline and troll away happy...guess I am just to nice a guy.(sigh)

I completely understand how you feel, but one thing to keep in mind,, Smith and Wesson didn't make just your handgun and then throw the mold away!;)

I guess I'll post my pet peeve......we live on one of the better fishing holes on the Washougal River. I can understand all of your frustrations with rude fellow fishermen but what really annoys me are the clowns that leave their trash, broken bottles and discarded fishing gear.......including hooks, for our kids and dogs to find later in the season. Freekin grow up you guys and clean up your own mess. I can haul a garbage bag of trash a day off my property on a heavy fishing day.

I grew up in Springfield. The sheer amount of d-bags around the Metro area is nuts. Go fishing on the weekend, and you're bumping elbows with too many people. Same with hunting. I went up the trask unit during rifle season and there was a rig parked around most every corner. I wish I've spent more time getting my own little-known spots to myself.

Oh how I miss the McKenzie river area. The Calapooia and McKenzie hunting units too. :(

Good thing I have lots of weekdays off now...

Precisely the reason I also carry when I fish...but also the reason I fly fish. If someone gets too close they will get a hook in the neck. Can't argue that now!!! There is an etiquette that should be followed. In my experience in Oregon it flies out the window more often than not.

And....That happens right after they see you catch a fish! Used to like fishing the Trask but the road fishermen ruined that for me...Hook-up and you have ten people fishing one hole shoulder to shoulder. That started me fly fishing and carrying my Colt.

I dont fish a lot, but I remember several years ago fishing from the bank on the Clackamas with a buddy that was, and still is an avid fisherman. There were very few people on the bank, and nobody seemed to be catching anything but after we had been there an hour or so some dude in a boat decides to anchor EXACTLY where we were casting. My buddy yelled out to him and asked that he park it in a little different spot. hey jackwagon just waved us off and went about fishing ignoring the rest of our requests for him to move.
My pal then proceeded to tie on a very large sinker and treble and then cast his line across the offenders boat, reeling it in and dragging it across the guys kit, dislodging some of his gear. His response was to show us his single digit IQ.
Next thing my friend did was tie on another large treble and cast it across his anchor line. Once it snagged on the line he gave it a good jerk breaking it off and leaving the hooks set in the anchor line. His hope was that the offending boater would 'find' them later while he was bringing in his anchor.
We then called it a day.
But I think social skills are not only lacking along the banks of our rivers and lakes, Its scarce anywhere you go anymore.

This has a good bit o' truth in it. A few years back, I was fishing with a friend of mine (who is a local LEO) and his son out on the Willamette. We were fishing out of his boat upstream of Canby. A wakeboat full of liquored up jack wagons felt the need to blast past us, as close as they dared come at every opportunity. We were fishing on anchor maybe 20-30 feet off the bank, and they'd still come within 20' of the boat, hitting us with a sizable wake. Finally my buddy and I sloughed off our coats and he stood up and took a good stretch as said wake boat passed by. Everyone's eyes on that boat seemed locked on his .45 for a few seconds - and we didn't see them within 200' of us for the rest of the day.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top