JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm just saying, I have nothing against open carry and am a believer in the second amendment to the nth degree, and you can count on it that if we met, I would probable be armed. I do though have an issue with someone that would flash a weapon to prove a point, unless it was dire. Not only have they became noticed, they have just became noticed by someone that could also be armed and possibly of a lesser temperament and restraint. Never play the ace until last card possible in a game of chance. But, to each their own.

I agree with jaxworks, open carry is totally fine and its not brandishing at all. According to WA RCW 9.41.060 you don't even need a permit "Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking" so for those who don't want a CPL then not to worry, you are restricted from a permit. But back to the OP, I feel that with ignorant jerks or people who probably don't even have a license the best way to handle them is first with kindness and respect. They are probably on their day off to and enjoying the outdoors just as much as you. they will think of you as the jerk if you aggressively confront them right away. It's best to stay calm and point out the ignorance but in a nice pleasant way

I used to fish the Sandy and Clackamas pretty regularly for steelhead and salmon. With all the folks that are out there now that crowd into your spot when you hook a fish, I always made it a point to find secluded water. For those who know the Sandy, below Dodge Park you 'used' to be able to walk down almost to Oxbow. About half way, there was a nice hole down a steep cliff, with a waterfall across the river. Salmon used to stack up in that hole under the waterfall. One afternoon after walking all the way down, I came across 2 DB's fishing the hole. So I walked up to the riffles at the head of the hole. One of the DB's followed me up and proceeded to let me know that 'this' was their drift. I said no problem, that's why I was fishing way up where I was. He then opens his vest to let me know that he is packing. So I politely gathered my stuff and went back up the side of the cliff. Once I got to the top, I yelled back down at them and told them that they better hope I didn't figure out which vehicle in the parking lot was their's, cuz they better be ready to snag it when it comes floating by. I then ran up and hid in the trees.

About 15 minutes went by, and I heard the wheezing and gasping for air, as these two DB's came running up the hill and back down the trail to the parking lot. I laughed for about a half an hour watching them dropping fishing gear and other crap all the way down the trail. I then walked on down to Oxbow, caught a nice steelhead on the way, and caught a ride back up to pick up my truck. Never did see those two a$$-clowns again, but since then I always carry when I fish. I did report it to Mult. Cty and Oregon State, but they basically took a report, and said you have to be careful out there, and gave me a lecture about threatening to push their vehicle into the river, as it 'escalated' the situation (ie - I should have just walked away and found somewhere else to fish).:s0077:

Mister_E, I know exactly the hole your referring to, and it's a beauty. The entire section from the gate on the west side at dodge park to this beach were talking about is now closed to public entrance due to it being all private property and @ss clowns like those two bubbas is what did it. Damn shame too. The fellow who is the caretaker at the camp on the east side is a really good guy, that also likes to fish. If you come down by boat he'll even step aside for awhile when he's fishing to let you have a crack at the best hole on the river, hell he lives there and can fish it whenever he wants. If you have access to a good river pontoon or driftboat, the whole section is excellent, and no bubbas! If you run into the "longhair" that takes care of the camp, (Tony) treat him with respect and he'll do likewise. Tell him John said Hi!

Thanks, I'll do that.

Sad part is, the hole up river from Dodge has pretty much gone to crap, too. Its not unusual to walk into the Garbage hole and watch folks 'snagging' fish, especially when the Coho are in. SO I usually drive farther up river, past Revenue Bridge, even up to Brightwood and fish below where the Salmon and Sandy come together.

Even sadder is the fact that it's almost not safe, either for you and yours, or even your vehicle anymore. I've seen dozens of vehicles on the Clack with busted out windows after some clown broke in. On the Sandy, there's lots of reports of break-ins, even vehicle theft. Luckily, mine hasn't been targeted yet. IF it does, I may just come back and 'bait' it ;)

Thanks, I'll do that.

Sad part is, the hole up river from Dodge has pretty much gone to crap, too. Its not unusual to walk into the Garbage hole and watch folks 'snagging' fish, especially when the Coho are in. SO I usually drive farther up river, past Revenue Bridge, even up to Brightwood and fish below where the Salmon and Sandy come together.

Even sadder is the fact that it's almost not safe, either for you and yours, or even your vehicle anymore. I've seen dozens of vehicles on the Clack with busted out windows after some clown broke in. On the Sandy, there's lots of reports of break-ins, even vehicle theft. Luckily, mine has been targeted yet. IF it does, I may just come back and 'bait' it ;)

Those break ins are everywhere and getting worse. This year on the Satsop, Chehalis, the Nooch, and the Humptulips the tweekers had a field day. God help the tweeker who gets caught in the act cause I can guarantee they will catch a beating before the cops are called.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top