JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm probably in the minority, but I am a huge fan of the Chinese Norinco Type 56 from the late 80's/early 90's. Modern AK's are certainly cool and milled receivers are stronger than stamped, but my retro Norinco still brings a huge smile to my face every time I shoot it..

I'd go with a Romanian WASR-10 in 7.62x39 for my first AK. Its rugged and plenty accurate for the job, a real workhorse. It'll take just about any abuse you want to dish out and keep coming back for more.

My first AK was a WASR and ran flawlessly, plus I picked it up at a gun show for $400, but I think those prices are long gone.

In today's market, if I were getting into a 7.62x39 AK, the Kalashnikov USA KR-103 is due out soon. I was really impressed with their KR-9 and would be surprised if the 103 ends up being crap given the trouble they went to with the 9... but it may be a couple months before it's out, and another couple more months before there's a good consensus that it's good. If I wanted something already on the market now (panic buying situation notwithstanding), I'd probably go for a Zastava (as imported by Zastava USA). It occupies a middle ground where it's not Century Arms crap but also not so nice/expensive that I'd feel bad about getting heavy use out of it.

Sorry for the thread drift, but I just checked Atlantic Firearms and new WASR 10-RI1805-N is selling for $849. :eek:

Gone are the days of inexpensive and plentiful AKMs.

Should have picket it up 10-15 years ago, latley they have gotten overpriced for what they are, dont take this the rong way they are cool but i remember them for $269 at the shows. 7.62 id look for norico or mak90 or m70ab2, latley ive been having a blast with my 9mm akv. Might want to check PSA website also

If you just want one to beat around, you can get by with most (stay away from the CAA imports, though. Unless you like magwells widened with dremels...). You can get a nice Cho-build locally for under 2K. Billy used to work with Jim Fuller, and their AKM builds are top notch.

That or get a RD build. You can find them under 2K.

Another vote for Arsenal. There's a choice of milled or stamped receiver models and they're well priced or at least they were when I bought mine.

Looking to add an AK to the collection, which would you choose in today's market and why?
I bought one of these zastava m70's w thumbhole stock for $450 new (on sale) locally. It was a good gun. Holy moly was their tooling machinery worn out. Unbelievable how these guns can run so well when the metal in the bolt etc is so rough cut.
58902B2D-1EE3-4267-AAD6-043A0984A657.jpeg

I have had a few MAK 90s, a SA-85-M, and a couple of Bulgarian Arsenals, a SAM7-61 and a SLR107R. The Norincos were great for what I paid, around $250 way back in the day. They go for more than they are worth nowadays, imho. The Hungarian SA-85 was excellent and I regret ever selling it. I sold the SAM7 and still have the SLR107. I like my Arsenal, but I'd really like to get another SA-85-M or a Russian SGL21

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top