First AK, which do you choose?

raftman

Reactions
In today’s market, if I were getting into a 7.62x39 AK, the Kalashnikov USA KR-103 is due out soon. I was really impressed with their KR-9 and would be surprised if the 103 ends up being crap given the trouble they went to with the 9... but it may be a couple months before it’s out, and another couple more months before there’s a good consensus that it’s good. If I wanted something already on the market now (panic buying situation notwithstanding), I’d probably go for a Zastava (as imported by Zastava USA). It occupies a middle ground where it’s not Century Arms crap but also not so nice/expensive that I’d feel bad about getting heavy use out of it.

Unicykle

Reactions
Should have picket it up 10-15 years ago, latley they have gotten overpriced for what they are, dont take this the rong way they are cool but i remember them for $269 at the shows. 7.62 id look for norico or mak90 or m70ab2, latley ive been having a blast with my 9mm akv. Might want to check PSA website also

Reactions
If you just want one to beat around, you can get by with most (stay away from the CAA imports, though. Unless you like magwells widened with dremels...). You can get a nice Cho-build locally for under 2K. Billy used to work with Jim Fuller, and their AKM builds are top notch.

That or get a RD build. You can find them under 2K.

Reactions
Looking to add an AK to the collection, which would you choose in today's market and why?
I bought one of these zastava m70’s w thumbhole stock for $450 new (on sale) locally. It was a good gun. Holy moly was their tooling machinery worn out. Unbelievable how these guns can run so well when the metal in the bolt etc is so rough cut.
58902B2D-1EE3-4267-AAD6-043A0984A657.jpeg

Portaledgepete

Reactions
I have had a few MAK 90s, a SA-85-M, and a couple of Bulgarian Arsenals, a SAM7-61 and a SLR107R. The Norincos were great for what I paid, around $250 way back in the day. They go for more than they are worth nowadays, imho. The Hungarian SA-85 was excellent and I regret ever selling it. I sold the SAM7 and still have the SLR107. I like my Arsenal, but I’d really like to get another SA-85-M or a Russian SGL21

Last edited:

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Upstanding Vendor!
    Have worked with this business twice and both times were outstanding! Will definitely keep going to him when I'm up in that area! Shoot, will...
    • HA556
  • Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Hellcat OSP
    I almost put "Limited "Covid induced" inventory" as a Con, but thought that wouldn't really be fair to them! The aftermath of Covid has depleted...
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done a lot of deals here
    Gary's easy to work with when in town.
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Business!
    I have been going to Vancouver Weapon Werx for years and know both owners quite well. The only downfall is I go there to purchase or have a gun...
  • SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range & Retail
    5.00 star(s)
    A great, safe place to go shooting
    Love this place!! Great staff, the range masters are friendly, helpful and alert. This is a safe place to shoot. The store is kind of low on stock...
    • GWS
Top Bottom