JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lol, but no. I am thinking I will be taking a trip to the range on Friday the 29th since I had vacation that work wanted me to burn. I want to do some further load development on the lower loads that I didn't have any issue with. I am hoping to throw another 100 rounds down the barrel. Especially at this point the only way to find anything conclusive now is to sling more lead.

So I took the Savage out shooting. After 50 rounds through the barrel none of the primers were punched through. This was of course after cleaning the bolt. No failure to fires or anything. I even fired 5 rounds of the original load that punched through the primers and the primers were just fine. I don't know what got gummed up inside that bolt that would cause that but cleaning it seems to have solved my problems. Safe to say that I really enjoyed shooting over the weekend without any issues... it also made for some dead sage rats :)

Last Edited:
So I took the Savage out shooting. After 50 rounds through the barrel none of the primers were punched through. This was of course after cleaning the bolt. No failure to fires or anything. I even fired 5 rounds of the original load that punched through the primers and the primers were just fine. I don't know what got gummed up inside that bolt that would cause that but cleaning it seems to have solved my problems. Safe to say that I really enjoyed shooting over the weekend without any issues... it also made for some dead sage rats :)
Ghost. Hope it doesn't show up again down the road. Intermittent issues drive me nuts.

Intermittent problems drive me nuts. The only variable that changed in this instance was the cleaning if the bolt, so logically that would be the source if the problem. I am still at a loss however to explain how a gummy action caused a too hard firing pin strike and punched holes in primers.... Freaking gremlins....

Intermittent problems drive me nuts. The only variable that changed in this instance was the cleaning if the bolt, so logically that would be the source if the problem. I am still at a loss however to explain how a gummy action caused a too hard firing pin strike and punched holes in primers.... Freaking gremlins....
Yes. Seems odd and it's a wait and see thing. Hell it frustrates me and it's not even my gun LOL.

Both my boys have put a few thousand rounds through there savages. Haven't had any punched primers. A little bolt face erosion. But that fault has to be laid on my shoulders.

You would think there would be some cratering and the primers would be flattened and have some burn marks with enough pressure to punch a hole like that. It almost looks drilled out. My Axis with the crappy trigger has never done that yet and I shoot some loads similar to yours. Haven't tried S&B in large rifle yet, but I like their small pistol for 38.
My youngest has an axis. Clipped of a little bit of the trigger spring. Still a bit stiff. But a huge improvement.

I was reading thru unless I missed it, did you check the head space already ?
Also even a small amount of dirt can affect the firing pin. It could be ammo issues
have you taken measurements to ensure everything is seating correctly?
And made sure the barrel is secure no issues there that could affect the head space?
I am sure you did all the above just throwing it out there.

My youngest has an axis. Clipped of a little bit of the trigger spring. Still a bit stiff. But a huge improvement.

Mine just doesn't have a clean break. There's just no consistent feel for how much pressure will make the darned thing go off. It's done wonders for my flinch lol. I've learned that when it decides to break isn't as important as what I am doing when it actually does break. I think it's actually helped me be more mindful. It's actually quite accurate out to 300 yards with my hand loads.

Someday I'll get a nicer rifle.

Mine just doesn't have a clean break. There's just no consistent feel for how much pressure will make the darned thing go off. It's done wonders for my flinch lol. I've learned that when it decides to break isn't as important as what I am doing when it actually does break. I think it's actually helped me be more mindful. It's actually quite accurate out to 300 yards with my hand loads.

Someday I'll get a nicer rifle.
I fully agree, it's better but still not great. I still have to pay attention to trigger pull. Still enjoy shooting and loading for it. I can honestly say. I would not have ever picked a 243. But since the boy got his. I have put alot of trigger time in. I do love that round. Biggest reason is I don't like beating my shoulder up. I have even loadd up some 55 grain nosler for fun.. my ten year old forced me to. Those were some little screamers.

We (he) did check out the head space and it's within tolerances. The barrel seems tight.... No further problems with the same batch of reloads after cleaning the bolt up.... it's kinda weird, but that's (the bolt) where I am putting the blame at this point.

Primers come in many "flavors." Note that "military primers" have a large following now a days.

IIRC....CCI admits that their military primers are not the final solution to the problem. They point out that many factors (head space, firing pin condition, condition of your firearm, load, etc...) can contribute to pierced primers. But, they market their line of military primers as "special" vs. their regular offerings. So, what's so special....sorry, but I can only guess that maybe it's a thicker cup or the mix of primer chemicals, whatever.

IMHO....just buy a brand (and type) that works with your particular loads/firearm and stick with it. Not all primers are made alike just because it says: Small Rifle Magnum or whatever else on the box.

Note that your reloading records are a big help when tracking down problems.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews