JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like houses and stocks, don't buy at the top of the market if you are looking to turn a significant profit.
It seems like everything is "collectible" these days though. As soon as something is obtained, it's suddenly worth a fortune on Craigslist or ebay.
I buy cr@p for pure enjoyment or out of genuine need. I don't ever lose sleep about "how much I could get" for it from the next guy. Once in a while it turns out to my benefit, so serendipity baby. However, stuff is just stuff.

In DA revolvers, back 40 years ago, conventional wisdom was that Colt, SW, and Ruger held their value better than most. This held up, and still seems to hold up today. I think the older pre-lock Smiths will continue to hold their value or even appreciate. As for the post lock Smiths, less so except where there have been useful innovations that arent available in older guns. (Titanium guns, 7 and 8 shot .357s, and guns in the new calibers .460 and .500.) The lock is not even the main problem. Its that overall quality and quality control have deteriorated. So the old Smiths are better than the new ones. And they arent making any more of those high quality Smiths. Likewise, Colt no longer makes its classic high-end revolvers like the Python and Anaconda, or any DA revolver in that league.

Generally, seems to me that its the top of the line of the top manufacturers that are most likely to hold their value or appreciate. So the models with fully adjustable sights in Colt, SW, or Ruger. There may be reasons to buy a Taurus or Charter, but it isnt likely to have the resale value of even a modern SW or Ruger.

Where the manufacturer is producing better guns now than what they used to, I think the older guns are not likely to appreciate above the price of new models, though they may hold their value well. I think this is true of many semi-autos. Iconic status matters too, though, for certain guns.

Generally, the DA revolvers that tend to hold value are still the pre-lock SWs, Colts, and Rugers. And of these, it's the guns that are top of the line for the manufacturer that usually hold value or appreciate most. And those that are at no serious disadvantage compared with modern guns. Many older guns have their resale value limited by the fact that they are blued instead of stainless. This cuts the potential market. Likewise, you can get more recent L frame Smith .357s with 7-shot capacity and N frame 357s with 8-shot capacity. I think these create serious competition for the older Smith .357s. For the 629s, though, the new ones have no extra features that are improvements. Except perhaps the more versatile round-butt grip frame on many models.

One thing I notice a lot is people trying unsuccessfully to get hundreds more for a less common barrel length or configuration such as unfluted cylinders or porting. Often it's rare because not many people wanted it then, and most people still don't want it now. You might find a buyer who wants exactly that and will pay such a premium. But you will likely need luck or willingness to wait a while. Better not hold your breath.

(I omit Dan Wessons and Korths, having no familiarity with them.)

Last Edited:
Who knows what the future holds?
4067179_0.jpg

Or don't sell at all.

That is my philosophy now.

Most of my guns may not sell right now for what I paid for them, but I did not buy them to make a profit - I bought them because someday I may need them.

Yep, that's certainly an option but not everyone is a collector.
I am a Unitarian at heart, I buy stuff that I need and sometimes what I want but it gets used often.;)

I sold my 6" Anaconda in 2004, so don't listen to me:D:D:D
I did worse than that. Mine got a broken firing pin. I had actually called the company and checked to make sure dry firing was okay. Actually believed them when they said yes, you could dry fire it thousands of times without snap caps, however much I wanted. Never again without snap caps, whatever anyone says.

I sent Tansy back to Colt, and while I was at it, had them magnaport her. It seemed like a good idea. Turns out I hate magnaported revolvers. They blast the noise back at you, which, turns out, I hate much more than I cared about any difference in recoil. I fell out of love with Tansy after the magnaporting. Felt bad about it since it was all my fault. But she was no fun any more. So I sold her.

(Tansy was a she. Don't ask me why. Some of my guns are ladies and some are gentlemen. And some are males but not really gentlemen. Sorta more like guys. Belle, my 8 3/8 inch 629, is a lady, sleek, beautiful, and elegant. Buddy, my 686 snubby, is a gentleman. And Thumper, my 9.5" Super Redhawk, is a guy. Tansy, the Anaconda, was female but not really a lady. She was more a curmudgeony old broad. But we got along. (Tansy was short for Tanstaafl, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Named for the fact that she was great fun to shoot but a PITA to carry.))(Not all my guns have names or genders, at least not ones I know about; most don't. Why some do is another thing I don't understand.)

Or don't sell at all.
That is my philosophy now.
Most of my guns may not sell right now for what I paid for them, but I did not buy them to make a profit - I bought them because someday I may need them.

Same Same, took me awhile of horse trading to thin the heard and realize what are must haves and what is just taking up safe space. Right before SB941 took effect I did more then normal horse trading and then settled down to what is here now. Picked up a couple since then that just added to the need area. But none are wasting space, and what was sold paid for what was replaced. The 586-4 was one I had wanted since I was younger and continues to hold a solid value and was a police issue, like my SigP229. Neither are for sale, no not really at any price. Unless you are talking lottery money in 6 figures... call me... :D
As I get older I tend to like very reliable over Tacticool that I see allot of. Hey to each their own. Wild Turkey was once a solid pick too now if I ever did drink it would be some Crown or GJ . I think as you get older or maybe its just me, but you like solid well built over fancy Nancy stuff. ( but to each their own)

Not modern, but a great example is the SKS, only a few years ago these were 199.00 firearms.
Now fetch twice that and more. The CZ527's have jumped allot here, and in Canada they are well over 1000.00

And a few more years before that they were even cheaper. I regret selling my 90ish dollar SKS for about the same amount way back when.

Hindsight is 20/20. If I only bought Bitcoin way back blah blah blah. ...

I was cleaning up the HD of an old computer. Noticed that in 2011 I downloaded bitcoin mining software but basically thought "meh" after playing with it a bit. The bitcoin value to cost of electricity was negative at that point and I didn't really think it would be worth it. Biggest mistake of my life. :confused:

I have firearms because I enjoy shooting them.:cool:
I hunt with them, I maintain and build them. I feed them, as I also reload and cast my own bullets. :eek:
They're a hobby, but they're still just tools.o_O
I seldom think of what they might be worth on today's market, as they're not for sale.:rolleyes:

The Supreme Court has ruled that a Sandy Hook survivor and relatives may sue Remington.

If gun manufacturers are forced to add a premium to a new gun's price as a reserve for future litigation risks, then prices will go up.

I see the same thing in aviation. New aircraft aren't worth that much - the manufacturers are forced to factor future litigation risks into the sale price.

I know people and have family in the education system. Some have gone to the school board with real suggestions that were at least worth taking a look at. By the way, great way to hurt your career.

Any lawsuit going against an innocent party will not cause a change to make things better. But we have the legal system and government we deserve.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top