JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The AR15 and Glock 19 for examples, are in such abundance one might believe their value would never be much above their minimum profit margin. It's easy for me to believe, that will always be the case but practically any 1911, once in abundance or certain revolvers throw a wrench in that theory.

Are there any modern firearms in common use that will have any hope of gaining in value? In my short time with guns I have seen a slight increase in the value of the CZ 75 line. AKs when they sell, cost a lot more in the 8-10 years I've been involved.

Is an HK VP9 ever going to be worth more than $700? Could a new restriction cause a gun with some feature to skyrocket? Say a Sig P220. Single stack 8 round .45 or the Bersa line with their lockable slides.

Not modern, but a great example is the SKS, only a few years ago these were 199.00 firearms.
Now fetch twice that and more. The CZ527's have jumped allot here, and in Canada they are well over 1000.00

The current production firearms appreciate with inflation only, and depreciate with flooded markets.

My $500 out the door rifle years ago is now $650 minimum at a store. I can still get my $500 for it.

On the secondary market it has went from say $425 to a now $525/550.

8 years ago I should have bought those two Mosin crates that were cheap. I could have banked today.

But there is no collectible value when you use them, have fun and enjoy yourself.

Last Edited:
Hindsight is 20/20. If I only bought Bitcoin way back blah blah blah. That's part of the speculative nature of this stuff. You can't really ever tell what something will be worth in 5-10 years. Heck maybe HK guns will be $100/pop. Or 10,000. Maybe an absolute outright ban will happen and a single 9mm bullet (forget a complete round) will be $1000 by itself. Maybe you can buy shipping containers of .50 bmg for a shiny nickel. Ah but if I only did this that and the other thing, I'd be a super ripped millionaire.

Candidly: I just don't care. I have, and continue to do so, work insane hours to pull down the greenbacks. After that the side gig(s). Ditto being on top of investments to make the increase work even more.

Firearms? Those are for protection, hunting, having fun, being silly, and the rest. If I made few bucks on a sale or trade, bueno, but that is not my main concern. If I gave a rip, and I don't really, about value it is what my children will inherit when I'm gone. Which, considering my family tree, isn't all that long off. To each their own. Godspeed, my friends. :s0155:

Id venture to say an AR15 is a very good purchase at today's prices and knowing what the political climate will probably hold in the next 10 years or so...

There's a new phrase going around lately and it has to do with the recent drop in gun prices. It's called 'Trump Slump" and one of my hobbies is following current gun prices and the biggest surprise to me is that full auto firearms are dropping in value for the first time since 1936. It use to be expected that machine guns would double in value every ten years.
I recently saw a very nice transferable Thompson M1A1 for sale on GunBroker sell for only $16,300.00, which would have sold for over $20,000.00 in January.

There's a new phrase going around lately and it has to do with the recent drop in gun prices. It's called 'Trump Slump" and one of my hobbies is following current gun prices and the biggest surprise to me if that full auto firearms are dropping in value for the first time since 1936. It use to be expected that machine guns would double in value every ten years.
I recently saw a very nice transferable Thompson M1A1 for sale on GunBroker sell for only $16,300.00, which would have sold for over $20,000.00 in January.
And ammo and magazines...

None of my guns were bought to make a profit. It is interesting to me to see, as I said, the value of a 1911 or M1. Surplus. Almost valueless at one point. From maybe $200 up to $1400. My own CZP01 was purchased for under $500. It's fair to say it's held it's value. The P07 I had wanted but gave up waiting for when I got the P01, would be hard pressed to get the $450 or so I paid.

Glocks, AR's, M&P, et.al. are all working tools as mentioned and are just a commodity, priced according to what the current political and economic climate will bear...

Heirloom, limited production, special edition and NIB Snake guns and pre-lock Smith revolvers will continue to hold their value and continue to appreciate.

Social or economic meltdown, or a government move to neutralize the Second Amendment will serve to make firearms priceless...

Just one schmucks opinion.

I purchased my first M-1 Garand for $165.00. Shipping included. Bought several years later
for $250.:D Worth a little more today?
P1000054.JPG

I purchased my first M-1 Garand for $165.00. Shipping included. Bought several years later
for $250.:D Worth a little more today?
View attachment 588143

Nice!

That's the thing tho, did you buy them to enjoy & use them, or buy them to sell as an investment. Or perhaps a mix, some to use and enjoy, some to set aside untouched.

I've no problem with either (not one teensy bit), as they're yours to do as you wish. Just curious is all.

In short, having them is tremendous value. The US is unique in that they are wildly available and cheap, relatively speaking. In most nations, you cannot obtain an AR or AK or Glock or Sig at ANY price, legally. Keep that in mind when thinking a $500 gun is "expensive."

As we see, the government can make acquisition VERY difficult as is going on in WA coming 1 July. I'm glad I have what I currently have. I've rarely traded off or sold anything, so their dollar value is really just "on paper" for now.

I've been collecting for 2 decades. Various guns in my collection have increased a lot, some have decreased a lot, and some have held steady. If you factor inflation, most have lost value over time. But all that is speculative. I could not have expected the $100 K31s to be near $1000 today! And I could not have expected the $1000 ARs to be worth $400 today... who knew?!

A stroke of a pen could have made them all priceless (aka full auto), or worthless (aka bump stocks). It's impossible to predict the political angle. But we've come VERY CLOSE to losing our rights and much of my buying habits were a hedge against that.

My first guns were purchased under Clinton's AWB in the late 1990s. Gun designs were stunted and accessories expensive and hard to get. My first AR15 was a neutered fixed stock no bayo lug Bushmaster with 1 ten round mag for about $1000. Same guns is worth maybe $500 today, probably less.

Looking backwards, Bush II won in 2000 by 700 votes in 1 state, Florida. Bush sunset the AWB. Also, he appointed 2 key SCOTUS judges that 8 years later went on to be swing votes in DC v. Heller, the most important (or one of) case in my lifetime. Had Al Gore won, we'd have a far different gun rights outlook.

Obama attempted and failed to instituted a AWB, and got very close after Sandy Hook. If that had happened, we'd have a far different gun price landscape. Hillary Clinton, had she won, would have dealt serious damage to the 2A through EOs and SCOTUS appointments. In short, much of my gun buying was under Obama and in anticipation of a Clinton election. It turned out great for the nation and gun prices also plummeted. I'm okay with that as my decisions were a hedge against non-availability in the future.

Thankfully the future for guns looks better now, in most states and across the federal landscape for the time being. Over production and surplus competition with great innovations and designs has flooded the market with inexpensive guns. It's a buyers' market. But we can expect it to eb and flow. A Dem will be elected again, Dems will control the Congress, and Dems will threaten the 2A as usual.

Some of the older Sigs seem to hold a great value, not sure on the newer ones.

Those are mostly some of the less seen ones that some SIG collectors like. That and some of the limit production guns like the Elites, ones with SS frames instead of aluminum, and so on. Used SIGs that are a standard config, right now don't necessarily hold much value compared to MSRP. I have bought more than one at half of MSRP and I have so many that I am getting pickier and pickier about what I buy and the cost. I think that is the gun market in general.

Wait for the left to come back into power next year and the prices on a lot of guns will go back up. I think revolvers - especially quality ones - hold their value better, but then they are less common with many manufacturers cranking out as many semi-autos as they can.

I can go to my safe and look? I'll be able to come up with several gun models that have dropped in value since I've bought them. Would that help anyone? :D

At this point, all I hope for in buying firearms is that down the road I will be able to get close to what I paid for them IF I HAVE to sell them. I don't shoot a lot so the number of guns I have will be mostly low round-count guns.

My mint Colt brilliant polished stainless steel Python has tripled in value since I bought it.
I should sell it, but I'll never find another one for what I paid for it.
It's a joy to behold, but so is a fist full of dollars. Quite the dilemma.

My mint Colt brilliant polished stainless steel Python has tripled in value since I bought it.
I should sell it, but I'll never find another one for what I paid for it.
It's a joy to behold, but so is a fist full of dollars. Quite the dilemma.

I have several rifles I bought for under $1K that are now $3K+ - if you can find them; there were only about 2000 imported and they are a unique configuration. I will never sell them for various reasons.

Another rifle I bought for $3K, that still sells new for about that much (when not on sale) I can't sell for $2500, in part because occasionally the manufacturer has them on sale for less than $3K, and not many people want to buy that rifle, plus not many people want to spend that much for a single shot. So I took it off the market and now I don't have hardly any guns I would ever sell - and those would not bring what I paid for them.

So it is a mixed bag.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top