Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

National Firearm serial number search on Facebook and Google

Dungannon

Reactions

:eek: :mad:

s1xty7

Reactions
Use DuckDuckGo.com instead. Google results without the logging. At least you could see if the content was there. Do it through a VPN in a private browser window if you want to skip the IP tracking and some of the local logging. You could be more careful about it, but it starts to get a little weird.

Edit: I could not duplicate the results with DuckDuckGo so it may not work to verify. Still good practice to avoid some of the Google spying.

Last edited:
Reactions
FYI...

Google and Facebook have now made it possible to find photos of firearms by simply typing a serial number into the search box. Earlier today, the automotive website Jalopnik published a story showing how license plate numbers are evidently scanned using optical character recognition (OCR) on Google images, allowing them to be searchable using text queries. Using the OCR hypothesis, TFB wondered if this image data mining technique might be able to be used to search for firearm serial numbers. Using images posted previously on TFB with serial numbers displayed on firearms, we tested the serial number search technique. As you can see from the results below, firearm serial numbers are in fact part of this apparent large-scale data mining operation by companies like Google and Facebook.

Makers Mark

Reactions
I guess I should be surprised, but I'm not.
I do have a few firearm pictures on our paid drop box account but for all I know google and company may own drop box. Or drop box may not be as 'secure' as they claim to be.

Reactions
They have other ways to track it via your account, internet, phones.

I have no idea why any one would post their guns on FB or the like,

but sadly most of us have here and it’s all in the govt’s info bank now.

we’ve gotten to a point where we played right into the tyrannical govt’s hand.
people live their lives online now. Secrets don’t exist. Other than those of political elites

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Gooseneck Road
    4.00 star(s)
    Very popular service road with some unmarked logging roads that branch off of the main. Relatively cleaned up from what we saw. I just wish that...
    • Benzdriver81
  • Liberty Safes of Oregon
    5.00 star(s)
    I have now purchased 2 Safe’s and constantly recommend people go here. You get better quality than the other liberty safes made for places like...
    • Motojohonda
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Just dropped by today to pick up a rifle … this is what a gun store should be! None of the crotchety bluster and BS that so many other gun stores...
    • DLS
  • Supporting Vendor J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I'll put in a good word for J&B Firearms Sales in Beaverton, on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy (across the street from KFC and BiMart). I've always had...
    • RVNvet
  • Seattle Rifle & Pistol Association
    5.00 star(s)
    This is a members only club. They have had and have some issues that cause membership to fluctuate a bit. There are more rules than shooting in...
    • coltemp

Staff online