JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My son (a good MAGA hat wearing, gun-toting high school senior) is writing his final paper of his high school career. He selected the topic:

"Free speech and social media: do social media platforms have an obligation to limit hate speech and false information?"

It's easy to say yes, but then who gets to decide what constitutes hate speech? And who gets to decide what is false? Recent events are rife with victim mentality forming the basis for claims of hate speech, not to mention the two years of fake news and ongoing political upheaval, bordering on treason. The measuring stick for hate speech seems to be who is offended, not if the statement was offensive. Kinda like sexual harassment, it's in the eye of the beholder, which is crap.

When we talked about his approach he brought up getting kicked off ifish, which was germane to the topic. The mods had an agenda and I wasn't on it, so whatever I said got filtered through their bias and bingo, violation of the acceptable use policy. Except that with Facebook, their version of social media actually has the power to influence our culture. So the people who get to decide what is hate and what is false are in charge of what you read and see.

So what are your perspectives on this issue?

P

Afaik, they're privately owned web pages and can do what they like. Either you buy the product, or you are the product and in the case of "free" social media sites, you are the product they sell to someone else. Real easy just to log off forever, nobody forces your involvement. I would like to say they should allow anything to be said, etc, however; without moderation at some level it would almost surely devolve into tribalistic hate echo chambers of all flavors and probably have a bunch of homemade snuff films and murder for hire down the line right in the open. I don't know, man. I'm tired and I'm gonna go to bed. Haven't been logged on in a couple years and can't say I miss it any. Life is better without.

i feel like all major social media platforms filter content to further their agenda especially pertaining to firearms.

lots of fake news out there

Haven't been on Facebook is years, but I did hear recently that close to 30% of Americans get their news from FB...I thought that odd.

No such thing as hate speech.

All speech is subject only to the rules and filters of the media platform. The media gods are the ones who will now decide what's acceptable and what isn't.

I like the topic and could write an exhaustive paper on it too.

I'd be interested in reading it when finished if he would allow.

Great to hear your son is following the family ideology pharm.;)

It's too bad that many parents let their kids get indoctrinated by public education. I've heard of horror stories about kids going "Full Bernie" because their teachers have been pushing the political agenda. That should be illegal!

Media in general is slanted toward the "Owners" ideals, and that of their sponsors!
Limits of speach vary based on a segment with in those platforms, but as we have all seen, generally follow and support a very narrow view, and we all know what that is!

Joe has a open list of limits here, and every one here should have read through them when they signed up, RIGHT?
So, as long as every one follows those limits, every one gets along, RIGHT?
I like to say: those who have the biggest issue with censoring are usually the ones who need censoring the most!
Change the word censoring to moderating and thats what we have here. We dont censor here unless its a gross violation of rules, and the same apply, those who have the biggest problem with moderation are generally the ones who need moderating the most!;)

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knolege (sic) with the lies of the day...I will add, that the man who never looks into a newspaper is better informed than he who reads them; inasmuch as he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors."

Thomas Jefferson
June, 1807

Last Edited:
Taking into consideration who owns (and runs) the "Big 6", it's no wonder news/media outlets appear to be "swayed" and seem to "report" one-sided......

Media conglomerates: The Big 6 ( https://www.webfx.com/data/the-6-companies-that-own-almost-all-media/ )

Sumner Redstone ( Political Affiliations of Viacom Board Could Impact CBS Case ): Viacom's chairman and chief executive, Sumner Redstone, is a self-described "liberal Democrat" and a prolific donor to Democratic campaigns. (Political Affiliations of Viacom Board Could Impact CBS Case)

Bob Iger ( Bob Iger - Wikipedia ): Iger co-chaired a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign on August 22, 2016.[47] He was named to President-elect Trump's Strategic and Policy Forum on December 2, 2016.[48] He resigned from Trump's Advisory Council on June 1, 2017 after Trump withdrew the United States from the Paris Climate Agreement.[49]

In 2016, Iger switched his party registration from Democratic to independent (no party affiliation).[2]

Jeff Bewkes ( Jeffrey L. Bewkes ) Party Affiliation: Democratic

Brian Roberts ( How Comcast Bought the Democratic Party | National Review ) President and CEO, Brian L. Roberts, is a golf buddy of President Obama's, and a Democratic donor who has contributed thousands of dollars not only to the president's campaigns, but also to the Democratic party of Pennsylvania, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, the DNC Services Corporation, and to Steny Hoyer, Kirsten Gillibrand, and Bob Casey. Roberts's executive vice president, David Cohen, is a former aide to Democratic bigwig Ed Rendell.

Rupert Murdoch (Political party: Republican)

Kazuo Hirai: Japanese. Appears to have no "political affiliation"

It's stuff like this that made delete my Facebook account earlier this year. I miss some things about it, but overall I feel better without it!

I also dumped Instagram, and never had Snapchat or Twitter. As we've seen multiple times over, Twitter does nobody any good.

Social media= social experiment.

It's a great ruse.
Used to balloon propaganda and gain information.

The greatest thing that could happen to the world is shut down all social media.

Could you imagine all the hysteria. People live theirs lives by that stupid propaganda tool.
There would be an instant mental collapse of at least 25% of Americans

My son (a good MAGA hat wearing, gun-toting high school senior) is writing his final paper of his high school career. He selected the topic:

"Free speech and social media: do social media platforms have an obligation to limit hate speech and false information?"

It's easy to say yes, but then who gets to decide what constitutes hate speech? And who gets to decide what is false? Recent events are rife with victim mentality forming the basis for claims of hate speech, not to mention the two years of fake news and ongoing political upheaval, bordering on treason. The measuring stick for hate speech seems to be who is offended, not if the statement was offensive. Kinda like sexual harassment, it's in the eye of the beholder, which is crap.

When we talked about his approach he brought up getting kicked off ifish, which was germane to the topic. The mods had an agenda and I wasn't on it, so whatever I said got filtered through their bias and bingo, violation of the acceptable use policy. Except that with Facebook, their version of social media actually has the power to influence our culture. So the people who get to decide what is hate and what is false are in charge of what you read and see.

So what are your perspectives on this issue?

P
I understand that these are privately owned companies. But being that they provide primary communications to millions upon millions of people, I think that they should be considered a public utility and be regulated as such. It's ok to have rules and plicies, but they must be applied equally and equitably to all.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top