JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I stopped by my local gunstore yesterday and was advised that on July 1 the ATF says FFL's in Wa state must foward 4473 forms to local LEO's for backround checks on handguns and "other" firearms. I checked with another friend who owns a store and he confirmed it. It appears there has been no funding nor training offered to local LEO's to help accomplish this task, so, What Now?

Was this part of that 1639 crap?

I assume "rubber stamp" the forms or carte-blanche approve them (if the Sherriff really supports the 2A).

old news, been talked about last year. thank your local pd's for doing multiple nics for report of sales.

but stripped lowers still don't count as firearms if you do private sales when you use the state definition of a firearm.

only counts on the original purchase.

A local FFL told me that currently non CPL pistols are run thru the state system, and that process is very slow taking sometimes 10+ days. JUST for a small % of guns sold in WA. The feds run the rest and it's usually instant.

After 1 July, the feds stop and the state does all guns. He predicted a wait of over 20 days for a result.

So whether it's 1639 and/or the feds declaring they are stopping, it's not entirely clear to me. But what is clear is that after 1 July buying a gun in WA will require a trip the FFL to buy it. Then go home empty handed. Then follow up with the FFL at least once. Then return to the FFL to get the gun after the BGC comes thru 1-4 weeks later. For every gun purchase. And if that FFL is 1-2 hours away, oh well. Factor 3+ hours to simply buy a gun.

The FFLs will have the nightmare of added storage (and associated liability, complaints, responsibility), follow up, and dealing with the same customer now at least 2-3 times for what was previously a 1-time 15 minute transaction. Prediction is that FFLs will either stop doing private transfers or charge a lot more.

All of this is part of the evil leftist plan to deter gun ownership, harass gun owners, frustrate us, and drive FFLs (now required for transfers) out of business.

Last Edited:
Question: "What's wrong with universal background checks?"

Answer: "Because it is another point in which infringement can and will occur. Take a gander at the Evergreen State."

Question: "What's wrong with universal background checks?"

Answer: "Because it is another point in which infringement can and will occur. Take a gander at the Evergreen State."

EXACTLY.

This is almost check-mate.

Steps:
1. Force/require BGCs for all transfers.
2. Create endless "prohibited person" categories even for trivial misdemeanors or ALLEGATIONS of possible future wrongdoing (i.e. "red flag")
3. Drive FFLs out of the cities and out of business thru hostile policies and covenants and taxes. Fewer FFLs, longer drives to buy guns, more hassle. No FFLs = no transfers.
4. Create maddening patchwork of laws about transfers, hassles for transfers, etc. results in lower gun sales.
5. All of this btw has basically killed gun shows too.

Anti-gunners & leftist can eat a ****

EXACTLY.

Steps:
2. Create endless "prohibited person" categories even for trivial misdemeanors or ALLEGATIONS of possible future wrongdoing (i.e. "red flag")
3. Drive FFLs out of the cities and out of business thru hostile policies and covenants and taxes. Fewer FFLs, longer drives to buy guns, more hassle. No FFLs = no transfers.
4. Create maddening patchwork of laws about transfers, hassles for transfers, etc. results in lower gun sales.

And you KNOW that there with be a "wink and a nod" between Inslee and Turd Ferguson, and to all the brown nosing Sherriff's, to absolutely put a snail-paced paperwork processing system in place. I see much longer than 4 weeks. I see closer to 6-8 weeks MINIMUM.

And you are right, there is the rise of transfer fees and the slowing down (shutting down?) of gun shows.... :(

I finally had a chance to watch "Seattle is dying". The whole state is dying and it is starting with Seattle. Inslee and Turd need to go away! :mad:

Just spoke to the second amendment foundation they said the NICS changes at the federal level may be beyond Washington. If so the country is in for a wait. I am awaiting their response once they get back to me.

Nics said they were tired of wasting their time having to run them twice. They ran them at purchase and again when the sheriff ran it when he got the paper work. Wa double dips, if the legislature would get rid of the second background check, all would be good. Like that is going to happen.:mad:

I always thought there was something that said they have a certain amount of days to get the bgc done, the check either comes back good and you get your gun or if it reaches a certain amount of days (7? 10?) they deliver the gun even if they haven't heard anything.

Am I confusing laws/polices/waiting periods? Does that not apply now?

Sorry, luckily I've never purchased a pistol without a CPL and rifles/other have always been instant either way so I am probably way off on what Im remembering.

I'm not fond of the having to wait part of the new rules. Once I pay for something, I want to take possession. I suppose going through a local dealer is something that doesn't require a great deal of trust. But dealers occasionally go out of business and they're gone. This is why I'd never buy a gun at, say, the Reno or Tulsa gun shows now. Those guys are a lot farther away than a local FFL. And, sellers at many out of state gun shows still don't need to be FFL's. "Yeah, I'll send it to ya." Makes you wonder if they would go to the trouble of doing it properly, sent to your FFL or sent at all for that matter. It sure was a lot easier "in the old days" where we just passed the money and guns back and forth, that's it.

It reminds me of the time my dad bought a 36 Ford part in Nebraska. We were driving down a non-Interstate highway years ago. He saw a derelict 36 Ford in a farmer's yard. We stopped, looked the guy up, and my dad bought the part he needed. The farmer promised to mail it to him. No part ever arrived. The farmer probably sold that same part many times.

I too am curious as to whether there will be a fuse on Wash. people doing the BGC. There is a time limit on NICS, but that's from the time it's rendered. What if Wash. puts the application in a pile for six weeks (or whatever) before the NICS call even goes in? Way too early to know any of these answers yet, I guess.

I can see new threads on message boards popping up, "Wait Time for WA Firearm Transfer." Something like the thread for processing times at CMP.

The State of Hawaii does the BG instead of the FBI. The 4473 just gets forwarded to the ATF.

*Edit* apparently the 4473 doesn't go anywhere.

Last Edited:
Facts...lots of bad info above.

This has nothing to do with 1639.

This is an FBI/Nics decision that Partial Point of Contact state (like WA) cannot do run the courtesy nics for CPL holder. Current CPL holders, under federal law, do not require a background check at time of purchase.

4473s are not forwarded to ATF. Not until the shop closes.

Under WA law, we can deliver firearms after 10 business days without a reply from the local agency. That's a difficult decision for local shops to decide. Big Box stores wont do it. Smaller shops may. We have before, and it's a case by case basis (I suggest being really nice to the FFL, if you're rude and demanding...likely won't deliver).

AR lowers are frames/receivers and ARE a controlled item, they will be sent to the local agency for approval.

The Dept of Licensing has NO forms for transmitting "assault rifles" or lowers/frames to Agencies for approval. I spoke with Clark county yesterday and the state has provided ZERO

Gun shows will chinese optics, malaysian gun bags, ugly leather purse, beef jerky and shamwow shows. As there are no same day deliveries, no private party sales, what's the point? Gun grabbers win again.

The legislature and WSP were aware of this a year ago. I testified on it in the Senate Law and Justice committee last November and spoke with numerous senators about getting ahead of this, but the state democratic platform is gun restriction at all levels (well, for the law abiding anyway)

EXACTLY.

Steps:

Plenty already happily do! Can't even insult them with that anymore... lol

So I had this happen already, they called state police who apparently "didn't have time" since I have lived in 3 states in the last 5 years (something about that making records checking difficult? I thought it was just NICS check??) they said they would call the FFL back when they had more time to run me, he informed me while rare it does happen and can take A MONTH for the callback! Needless to say I won't be purchasing that firearm...

The state police is not in charge of doing any firearm background checks (yet). A bill passed this session to fund research into creating a "single point of contact" state system, so that NICS is cut out of the process (directly, anyway). The bill does not create a single point of contact system, it only funds research into the feasibility of such a system. Such a system is presumably a few years out still.

As of July 1, local sheriffs and police departments will start doing background checks for ALL handguns and ALL "semi-automatic assault rifles," regardless of whether the buyer has a CPL or not. This is a change by NICS and not by the state. NICS was never really even supposed to be doing checks on handguns, it only did those checks as a "courtesy."

All guns not fitting the above description (pump action shotguns, bolt action rifles, etc.) will still go to NICS for the background check.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top