JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some are, but they are not supposed too...
I594 Tax Implications_Page_1.jpg

But isn't the transfer a service, not a sale of merchandise and therefore not supposed to be taxed? That's how it is here in ID anyway....

But isn't the transfer a service, not a sale of merchandise and therefore not supposed to be taxed? That's how it is here in ID anyway....

You would think so, but the FFL is liable for required taxes that are not collected in WA. It used to be as you state here until the Queen cleaned up the language and made the dealer a taxman.

I know my FFL charges me tax on transfers. The damn government wants there chunk of the money any way they can get it. I am sure there are FFL's out there that don't but I like my FFL and its not worth changing.

Is that written some where? I would love to show him that.

I would too. Last gun I bought on line from out of state came from a dealer. My FFL charged me sales tax on it. It was for this my FFL asked for an invoice from the out of state dealer. Since they were wanting to figure the sales tax on the price of the firearm not just the total cost I paid which included the shipping and Ins. If it is clearly written in WA law that the state does not want my local FFL to collect sales tax on this I am sure they would love to see it.

Contact the Department of Revenue and they "should" send you a copy of their Form Letter explaining that this is a SERVICE and is treated like a Doctor or Lawyer fee. I don't have my copy any longer or I would be happy to post it here.:):):)

Sales Tax and the Use Tax are a whole nother ballgame. But, if the item wasn't purchased by the FFL he isn't required to pay Tax on the purchase because the money did Not go through his Bank Account.

Contact the Department of Revenue and they "should" send you a copy of their Form Letter explaining that this is a SERVICE and is treated like a Doctor or Lawyer fee. I don't have my copy any longer or I would be happy to post it here.:):):)

If this exists the FFL's will certainly know soon enough. This is the problem when people make some kind of statement like this. Dealer does not have to collect the sales tax when they transfer a gun. Then no one can actually find said rule. My best "guess" here is people are confusing a few things. If I want to sell a gun to my buddy and we walk into shop, that may well be a "service" no tax. If I order a gun from another state that is probably a sale. Just like Amazon. When I buy stuff from Amazon even when it's shipped from another state I pay WA sales tax. The state does not think Amazon is a service. I suspect this is where this is coming from but again since no one seems to be able to actually show the laws they are claiming to know about it's real hard to say.

It's a whole different thing with Amazon. If a Business has a presence in the State of WA then the State has the right to collect Sales Tax. And Amazon does have a presence in WA.

In WA there is a Use Tax that the individual is supposed to pay on ANY and ALL items purchased. Of course, not everyone pays that Tax.
i 594 exempted private firearm transfers from sales tax and use tax. Its written in the law. If a dealer is charging sales tax on a private transfer he is mistaken or a crook.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top