JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While I don't think a jackoff like defazio wants to help the sportsman community I would back the idea to ban poison or any large game traps that can cause severe trauma to family pets or especially children.

Instead they should put the call out to responsible sportsman to come have some country fun and help them rid themselves of predators.

Win/win

If the Wolf was on private land where problems with livestock is so bad that the Feds put a trap out to kill what they figure are Coyotes is it possible the Wolf was part of if not all of the problem? Just saying. Would be interesting to know how the livestock problem is going now that this Wolf who was on the property has been removed from the equation.

I raised sheep for a wile and sustained losses involving several thousands of my dollars and I was a small rancher.

I must say it was a great day when the trapper came on to my land and planted those Get'ters [Cyanide Traps] a small charge with lamb fat attached to the end of it.
Shooting them didn't come close to slowing them down and there were times I thought they just killed to be killing.

The trapper had an affect but it was annual job, during the winter months was the worst and as long as I had sheep he had a job to do.

Eventually - about five years in I quit, they one.
City politicians have no idea what is going on out in the country.

My hope is Ma and Pa rancher don't let Pee Wee play in the field with the sheep wile the trapper after placing all his postings on the surrounding area in English and Spanish leaves for a few days.
The dam Coyotes or a wolf might take him.
Silver Hand

Oregon's ecology adapted to the lack of the wolf. Their reintroduction was a horrible mistake by ODFW and the Feds. There are residents now that cannot let their children play unattented on their property, because an overgrown feral dog may decide to eat them. I've read and heard too many stories by rural Oregonians where these things were reintroduced. If one of them came around my kid, my home, or my livestock, I'd shoot the damned thing, then dig the bullet out and piss on it's corpse. Wolves have no place back in Oregon - and all those damned animals-first types need to do the world a favor and stop breathing. They value the widdle fuwwy animals so much, they should give themselves up as food for them. They don't value human life, but think meat is murder and animals should have more rights than people. Screw them, and screw the wild dogs.

Just to clarify: It's not the killing of the wolf that bothers me, it is more the inability to kill the target species without killing other animals.
I would agree. Oregon's ecosystem has adapted to not having wolves and in order to actually restore Oregon to its previous state (pun intended) would require the killing of ALL coyotes since they are nonnative and then the introduction of wolves but that would require too much.

[QUOTE="SparksFly, post: 1637492, member: Oregon's ecosystem has adapted to not having wolves and in order to actually restore Oregon to its previous state (pun intended) would require the killing of ALL coyotes since they are nonnative and then the introduction of wolves but that would require too much.[/QUOTE]

And all Californians!

[QUOTE="SparksFly, post: 1637492, member: Oregon's ecosystem has adapted to not having wolves and in order to actually restore Oregon to its previous state (pun intended) would require the killing of ALL coyotes since they are nonnative and then the introduction of wolves but that would require too much.

And all Californians![/QUOTE]
Unfortunately so.

Just to clarify: It's not the killing of the wolf that bothers me, it is more the inability to kill the target species without killing other animals.
I would agree. Oregon's ecosystem has adapted to not having wolves and in order to actually restore Oregon to its previous state (pun intended) would require the killing of ALL coyotes since they are nonnative and then the introduction of wolves but that would require too much.
Actually, I think they did kill the "target species."
The target species was a canine animal preying on livestock. We've known for decades coyotes are a problem (Eat More Lamb, 2 million coyotes can't be wrong!), so what if the next oversized rat of the canidid species takes the 'yotes place?
Should it make a difference to the rancher if he loses his livelihood to a wolf rather than a 'yote? A loss is a loss to him/her. This notion that the ranchers of the west need to stock the feed trough so the city-dwelling weekend warriors of the wildlife viewing crowd can get their annual thrill is preposterous.

The only downside I can see to this is it may reduce the trapping effort(s). But it won't if it's viewed through the proper perspective.

Actually, I think they did kill the "target species."
The target species was a canine animal preying on livestock. We've known for decades coyotes are a problem (Eat More Lamb, 2 million coyotes can't be wrong!), so what if the next oversized rat of the canidid species takes the 'yotes place?
Should it make a difference to the rancher if he loses his livelihood to a wolf rather than a 'yote? A loss is a loss to him/her. This notion that the ranchers of the west need to stock the feed trough so the city-dwelling weekend warriors of the wildlife viewing crowd can get their annual thrill is preposterous.

The only downside I can see to this is it may reduce the trapping effort(s). But it won't if it's viewed through the proper perspective.
Not trying to be a jerk but this is from the article.
IMG_1243.PNG

Not trying to be a jerk but this is from the article.
View attachment 348100
So are both coyotes and wolfs not canine species that prey on livestock?

I don't know if you're aware, but domestic dogs caught chasing or preying on livestock may legally be shot on sight in Oregon. Is one canine sub-species so much more valuable than the next?

I have virtually no sympathy for the wolf, or the misguided efforts to bring it back in Oregon. They are a throwback species very well suited to a wild ecosystem that no longer exists in the lower 48 of the US. Man gets blamed for extirpating the wolf here, but we find them in abundance a mere 500 miles north of the OR/WA border.
Since we know they have the ability to migrate that far in a matter of months, what will we do if they leave again? Start over with another planting program?

So are both coyotes and wolfs not canine species that prey on livestock?

I don't know if you're aware, but domestic dogs caught chasing or preying on livestock may legally be shot on sight in Oregon. Is one canine sub-species so much more valuable than the next?

I have virtually no sympathy for the wolf, or the misguided efforts to bring it back in Oregon. They are a throwback species very well suited to a wild ecosystem that no longer exists in the lower 48 of the US. Man gets blamed for extirpating the wolf here, but we find them in abundance a mere 500 miles north of the OR/WA border.
Since we know they have the ability to migrate that far in a matter of months, what will we do if they leave again? Start over with another planting program?
I know you can shoot a domestic dog and I have no sympathy for the wolf either, it was just stating that the target species was not canines in general, as you stated, but rather coyotes, which are canines, but ODFW was not targeting canines in general.

I know you can shoot a domestic dog and I have no sympathy for the wolf either, it was just stating that the target species was not canines in general, as you stated, but rather coyotes, which are canines, but ODFW was not targeting canines in general.
Sorry Sparky, but for my money, one canine preying livestock is much like another.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top