JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Damn, don't know how I missed this one but looks like you're correct. Searching it comes up with a ton of articles that law makers have been trying to close this and so far looks like they could not get it to the POTUS's desk. One thing that kept popping up was that kook who killed a bunch of people in that church while back. Said he got a gun due to the feds taking too long to tell the FFL no on the sale. I had to have read this back then and must have just written this off at the time. Thinking the same thing I thought just now when I read this. If that scum was told no at the FFL he would have just bought a gun from another source. The kook law makers using this as an excuse to pass more laws really want people to believe that if some scum is willing to go shoot people that they will be foiled when a legal gun is not available. They are literally saying a new law will stop this kind of scum? :confused:
IIRC it was whatever branch of the military that he had been in that dropped the ball with reporting and (again IIRC) the issue was that the dealer should have known something was amiss despite the BGC coming back clean.

But I could totally be remembering that wrong and am feeling too lazy right now to fact check myself :s0108:

The specific issue was that the shooter in Charleston had been arrested for a drug charge but for some reason or other, he was still able to get the gun and then the FBI and ATF apparently dropped the ball, but by the time of the shooting it was already a couple months after he had purchased the gun after the 3 day thing when the FBI didn't investigate further and didn't tell FFL proceed or no proceed?

Well, looks like congress approved an 11th hour stop gap bill and kicked the can down the road for another 45 days.

Guess the last man out of the BATF approval office isn't going to eject all the 3½" floppys from the ATF's mainframe, and kick out the plug to their dialup modem.

Going from memory of the last time the thoroughly dysfunctional federal DotGov shut down:

• NICS was still up and processing fine.
  • NFA branch closed down, so if you had a stamp in the pipeline, it wasn't moving that entire time.
But that was a few years back. Not sure if the same will happen this time. Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be a steaming pile though. :s0155:

Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D NY), one of the extreme left "Squad", didn't like the stop-gap spending measure that was going to pass the House. He pulled a fire alarm in a hall to clear the building. Unfortunately for him, he was caught on surveillance video. Capitol police are currently looking for him.

Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D NY), one of the extreme left "Squad", didn't like the stop-gap spending measure that was going to pass the House. He pulled a fire alarm in a hall to clear the building. Unfortunately for him, he was caught on surveillance video. Capitol police are currently looking for him.
Many of the January 6th crowd were charged with "obstruction of a government function"

Just sayin...

Many of the January 6th crowd were charged with "obstruction of a government function"

Just sayin...
Yup. I don't know what each of the J6 defendants were charged with, but as far as Rep. Bowman, 18 U.S. Code § 1512 (c)(2) would seem applicable:
(1) the obstructive conduct be connected to a specific official proceeding that was (2) either pending or was reasonably foreseeable to the defendant when he engaged in the conduct.

Goes to show the brain power of many of those who end up elected. That he could not notice camera's? :s0140:

Every time we have a "shut down" the POTUS decides what will operate and what will not. The normal mode here is anything the guy at the top (or in this case whoever is behind him) thinks will cause the most anger is what is shut off. If they really wanted to stop this they would cut off the money to the law makers, ALL money. Watch how fast a deal is struck. That is of course not going to happen.
Cut off salaries AND their ability to take in campaign contributions and the non-sense would end in 5 seconds. Most are well off, so the campaign contributions would hurt them faster I believe.

He pulled it, but there is no proof at this point as to why. But don't let facts get in the way of wild speculation :rolleyes:
"Congressman Bowman did not realize he would trigger a building alarm as he was rushing to make an urgent vote," Iddrissu wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter. "The Congressman regrets any confusion." Bowman told reporters that he thought the alarm would open the door.

So he is trying to say "I am such a moron I don't know what that red pull station does". Given just how damn stupid some of them are he may actually be telling the truth.

"Congressman Bowman did not realize he would trigger a building alarm as he was rushing to make an urgent vote," Iddrissu wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter. "The Congressman regrets any confusion." Bowman told reporters that he thought the alarm would open the door.

So he is trying to say "I am such a moron I don't know what that red pull station does". Given just how damn stupid some of them are he may actually be telling the truth.
Maybe he was just frustrated about having to go through this bovine excrement which is 100% avoidable if Congress would just do there job and pass a budget every year.

But also I think this is exactly the sort of situation Hanlon had in mind ;)

Cut off salaries AND their ability to take in campaign contributions and the non-sense would end in 5 seconds. Most are well off, so the campaign contributions would hurt them faster I believe.
Agreed! One of them (forget who) said he would forgo his salary, except he can't, It's Constitutionally mandated they get paid

I missed that part of the constitution. Wonder what amendment that is? I would have to "guess" there must be something in law about it. If that's the case they could sure easily change that. Of course they will not. :mad:
Article I, Section 6 of the Constitution states: "The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States."

Doesn't provide any exemptions
🤷‍♂️

Well, looks like congress approved an 11th hour stop gap bill and kicked the can down the road for another 45 days.

Then.....it still needs the Senate's approval.

Aloha, Mark

Then.....it still needs the Senate's approval.

Aloha, Mark
Just occurred to me.
Isn't 45 days from today right about when congress goes into their winter recess?

He does have a valid "moron" defense. As would those who believe his story.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews