JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Never occurred to me till now.
Have a pistol en route to my FFL, and it's rumored the Fed is going to shutdown.
Will my FFL be able to process the form 4473?
Or will my pistol be in ATF jail; with my suppressor as a cell mate?

Every time we have a "shut down" the POTUS decides what will operate and what will not. The normal mode here is anything the guy at the top (or in this case whoever is behind him) thinks will cause the most anger is what is shut off. If they really wanted to stop this they would cut off the money to the law makers, ALL money. Watch how fast a deal is struck. That is of course not going to happen.

The three business day provision of the Brady Act would be in effect. There is no exemption to the Act for government shut-down. Your FFL has discretion on whether they will release the firearm after 3 days. If they don't, you can ask them to ship/transfer the firearm to an FFL who actually believes in the Constitution.
ETA: The Marxists/Democrats of Oregon are attempting to remove this provision of protecting our rights, and will allow unlimited delays for background checks. We're talking years, if they get their way.

I tried to purchase a handgun the last time gov shutdown for 1 day.
the form 4473 is federal and therefore could not be processed due to being new business for federal. cannot create new business during shutdown.
even though the background checks are done at state level, its still federal forms and cant be processed during a fed shutdown.

I tried to purchase a handgun the last time gov shutdown for 1 day.
the form 4473 is federal and therefore could not be processed due to being new business for federal. cannot create new business during shutdown.
even though the background checks are done at state level, its still federal forms and cant be processed during a fed shutdown.
Good reason to choose a shop who does no response releases.

I know as of yesterday around 4PM I was 133 in line - in three minutes mine cleared. Dont know why it cleared so fast just that it did. I would think that anyone running a bgc today would complete quickly.

Everything that's old . . .

Is new again :)

Everything that's old . . .

Is new again :)

I mean yes, but also it address the issue of a business not being able to operate because a federally mandated requirement can't be met because the federal government isn't doing the thing they are telling the business they have to do.

Like process 4473's. The (corect IMHO) argument is that if the Fed Gov requires a business to do something that needs the Fed Gov's participation to complete the Fed Gov should be required to do their part, or the requirement is non enforceable

Like process 4473's. The (corect IMHO) argument is that if the Fed Gov requires a business to do something that needs the Fed Gov's participation to complete the Fed Gov should be required to do their part, or the requirement is non enforceable
Agreed! There should be a, "while the cats away..." clause in the feeb registry.

It's just their way of holding the citizenry hostage to their demands for more money. Toddler antics....

Does Oregon immediately submit the background check to the feds after it's submitted to the state or do they wait until it gets state approval (or starts to be reviewed by a human in the case of non-instants)? Or is there any reason an FFL couldn't/wouldn't release after a background check is approved but the federal system is down? 🤔

Every time we have a "shut down" the POTUS decides what will operate and what will not. The normal mode here is anything the guy at the top (or in this case whoever is behind him) thinks will cause the most anger is what is shut off. If they really wanted to stop this they would cut off the money to the law makers, ALL money. Watch how fast a deal is struck. That is of course not going to happen.
Except that only the legislatures have power of the purse-strings, not the executive or judicial branch…. and that's NOT a bad thing, especially with the currently "installed" Potato in Chief "presiding".

Last Edited:
OP here.
Guess we'll find out what happens today. Maybe some unfortunate soul will chime in on this thread if they're impacted. Or not impacted.

(As for myself, the pistol arrived at my FFL on Wednesday and was uneventfully transferred.)

Last Edited:
Except that only the legislatures have power of the purse-strings, not the executive or judicial branch…. and that's NOT a bad thing, especially the the currently "installed" Potato in Chief "presiding".
That is why we play this little game every so often when GOP holds House. The "norm" here is they can't agree, we have a "shut down", they still can't agree so we get another continue. How many years do we go without a budget? All we really have is a lot of arguing, and then they print a crap ton more money to hand out. We are now starting to see the pain caused by this. I have no doubt that since the Executive Branch decides what will keep running and what will shut down they will pick out things that really piss people off the most. The Bureaucrats who are told to stop working still get paid. This amounts to paid vacation for many who have no show jobs to begin with. Law makers still get paid of course. So we will have the "news" fan the flames of why this is all the GOP ultra nut jobs. They will cave, tell them to print even more money, pretend that all is well again. :s0092:
It is amazing how long they have been able to keep this house of cards up and not falling down. The debt we owe right now is staggering but, hell it seemed staggering a couple decades ago and we just keep floating along here so who knows. :eek:

Does Oregon immediately submit the background check to the feds after it's submitted to the state or do they wait until it gets state approval (or starts to be reviewed by a human in the case of non-instants)? Or is there any reason an FFL couldn't/wouldn't release after a background check is approved but the federal system is down? 🤔
I know is this state an FFL "can" release a gun if the state is the hold up. Now if the Feds are the hold up? I have to guess no FFL is going to go against that? Any FFL's here could answer this but, I have never heard an FFL say there was a provision for them to let a gun walk if they were not getting the all clear from the feds.

I know is this state an FFL "can" release a gun if the state is the hold up. Now if the Feds are the hold up? I have to guess no FFL is going to go against that? Any FFL's here could answer this but, I have never heard an FFL say there was a provision for them to let a gun walk if they were not getting the all clear from the feds.
Isn't there a provision in the Brady Act that a FFL has the option to release the firearm to the purchaser after 3 days if no response from NICS check?

Edit, what the anti2A groups and media have been calling "Charleston Loophole"

1696092564760.png

RIGHTS delayed.....

Yeah.

Aloha, Mark

PS........."Gun Grabbers"
1696092280867.png

Last Edited:
Isn't there a provision in the Brady Act that a FFL has the option to release the firearm to the purchaser after 3 days if no response from NICS check?

Edit, what the anti2A groups and media have been calling "Charleston Loophole"
Damn, don't know how I missed this one but looks like you're correct. Searching it comes up with a ton of articles that law makers have been trying to close this and so far looks like they could not get it to the POTUS's desk. One thing that kept popping up was that kook who killed a bunch of people in that church while back. Said he got a gun due to the feds taking too long to tell the FFL no on the sale. I had to have read this back then and must have just written this off at the time. Thinking the same thing I thought just now when I read this. If that scum was told no at the FFL he would have just bought a gun from another source. The kook law makers using this as an excuse to pass more laws really want people to believe that if some scum is willing to go shoot people that they will be foiled when a legal gun is not available. They are literally saying a new law will stop this kind of scum? :confused:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews